• ...and so much more!
  • digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    When I was a kid there was a garbage truck we use to play on in the woods. It wasn't too far from civilization but it I guess it was far enough in there where it wasn't worth recovering. Never thought much about it then, but I'd imagine it was stolen and left there after it got too far in and was no good for joyriding any more.
    You really jogged my memory....a part of older Abilene was developed on a single farm. Lots were sold and improved around the perimeter leaving a large core not usable and remained that way for years...the interesting part there was a complete RR Caboose in good shape that had to have been hauled in during the 20s-30s in that left over area. Great for the kids but imagine moving that at least 2miles from the closest RR back in those days.
    Ultimately it went away but I had grown and gone by then.
    The Bigfoots drove their school bus...so this is even a better story!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Now and then, I find an arrow head while strolling around.
    Really not that odd, I guess. It just makes me stop and ponder for a while. What was life really like back then? What brave made it? Was it used in anger? Was it used for sport? Or for food? I rub some of the dirt off and imagine the thing being driven deep into my body. Ouch.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    You know...I'm so sorry...I just had a poor choice of words. I really didnt mean to imply that this story was better than any other story. Like the time I found a family of bigfoot living in an abandoned school bus deep in the woods.
    I must admit, that was a pretty sorry post, feel bad for the bigfoots (bigfeet) living in an abandoned school bus in, of all places, the woods when I am sure they would have preferred being in the burbs.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I must admit, that was a pretty sorry post, feel bad for the bigfoots (bigfeet) living in an abandoned school bus in, of all places, the woods when I am sure they would have preferred being in the burbs.
    Those BIGFEET will be voting for Bernie.
    He will give them healthcare and good, clean, green jobs!

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Now and then, I find an arrow head while strolling around.
    Really not that odd, I guess. It just makes me stop and ponder for a while. What was life really like back then? What brave made it? Was it used in anger? Was it used for sport? Or for food? I rub some of the dirt off and imagine the thing being driven deep into my body. Ouch.

When I was a kid in Northern California I used to find arrow heads too but the tribes there were mainly hunters and gatherers and, with the exception of the Modocs, were pretty tame.

My people were Yaquis from the Tucson area and were driven out when the Apaches moved in during the early 1800’s. Now, the Apaches..... those were Indians!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Son & I found a deer blind, home-made feeder, and a bunch of posted signs all over. On MY property, property which had been in my Family for some 90 years.

Many years ago, far offshore on the Gulf, we watched a parachute float down, went to check it out and it was gone, no trace.

leVieux

Barkstar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    While surf-fishing for striped bass and bluefish off Plum Beach in Brooklyn, NY I saw what appeared to be a sputnik coming in on the morning tide. It was at sunise, and it was some distance out. As it ultimately made it to shore I could see that it was actually a large Holstein cow, with 3 legs straight up in the air... one leg had somehow disappeared.
    Very odd, indeed. It's likely that it came down the Hudson River from Upstate, from dairy county in the Catskill region.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    While surf-fishing for striped bass and bluefish off Plum Beach in Brooklyn, NY I saw what appeared to be a sputnik coming in on the morning tide. It was at sunise, and it was some distance out. As it ultimately made it to shore I could see that it was actually a large Holstein cow, with 3 legs straight up in the air... one leg disappeared.
    Very odd, indeed. It's likely that it came down the Hudson River from Upstate, from dairy county in the Catskill region.

Welcome to the Forum!

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    when i was a kid we used to go mule deer hunting around marfa and the big bend country. as in walking up and down mountains hunting, not sitting ina tree house waiting for bambi to stroll by. one time in the 60s next to a dry stream bed i found a bunch of pottery shards and arrow heads etc in an area about 20 x 20 ft. my dad made me leave it all there. was fun to pick up and look at though. we used to go to hueco tanks in the 50s and 60s between el paso and carlsbad new mexico and sift the dirt for arrow heads etc. found a lot. days gone by.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My son went out snake hunting on a friend's property yesterday. It was a nice day for it but I suspect too soon to hunt for snakes other than maybe Garter Snakes that come out early in the season.

IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg

He did not find any snakes but he found some bones I am guessing are a deer pelvis:

IMG_2753.jpg

He also found a blue tailed skink that I believe is a Common 5 Lined Skink, Plestiodon fasciatus:

IMG_2754.png

He also found something else. The something else beats anything I have ever found while out and about herping, hunting, hiking, or whatever:

FullSizeR.jpg

604727340.jpg

604727350.jpg

Too bad it was not in better shape but the land gets flooded now and again when the Arkansas River rises and the gun sure looks like it was under water for awhile. At least the grips seem in good shape, what a testament to Pachmayr grips. He put the gun into a bath of white vinegar to clean it up some. Told him to be careful in the event any live rounds are in it; I doubt they would still be good but why chance an accident.

I am guessing that is a Dan Wesson revolver; it looks like the Dan Wesson 715 from what I can make of it. If that is correct then it was in the mud or under water for quite the while since the 715 is stainless steel. Somebody lost or threw away a nice gun.

Attachments

• 604727340.jpg
      604727340.jpg
      343.6 KB · Views: 3,945
    • 604727350.jpg
      604727350.jpg
      349.3 KB · Views: 3,944
    • FullSizeR.jpg
      FullSizeR.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 4,167
    • IMG_2749.jpg
      IMG_2749.jpg
      12.1 KB · Views: 242
    • IMG_2750.jpg
      IMG_2750.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 4,169
    • IMG_2751.jpg
      IMG_2751.jpg
      11.4 KB · Views: 4,156
    • IMG_2753.jpg
      IMG_2753.jpg
      340.1 KB · Views: 3,903
    • IMG_2754.png
      IMG_2754.png
      75.1 KB · Views: 3,943
    Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My son went out snake hunting on a friend's property yesterday. It was a nice day for it but I suspect too soon to hunt for snakes other than maybe Garter Snakes that come out early in the season.

View attachment 203189 View attachment 203190

He did not find any snakes but he found some bones I am guessing are a deer pelvis:

View attachment 203191

He also found a blue tailed skink that I believe is a Common 5 Lined Skink, Plestiodon fasciatus:

View attachment 203192

He also found something else. The something else beats anything I have ever found while out and about herping, hunting, hiking, or whatever:

View attachment 203187

View attachment 203185
    View attachment 203186
    Too bad it was not in better shape but the land gets flooded now and again when the Arkansas River rises and the gun sure looks like it was under water for awhile. At least the grips seem in good shape, what a testament to Pachmayr grips. He put the gun into a bath of white vinegar to clean it up some. Told him to be careful in the event any live rounds are in it; I doubt they would still be good but why chance an accident.

I am guessing that is a Dan Wesson revolver; it looks like the Dan Wesson 715 from what I can make of it. If that is correct then it was in the mud or under water for quite the while since the 715 is stainless steel. Somebody lost or threw away a nice gun.
    More likely a Dan Wesson 15-2.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When I was about 12 or 13 yrs. old, I found an airplane microphone out in the middle of nowhere (somewhere outside of Breckenridge). My father said he had heard of an airplane crash around there many years ago. We didn't find any other evidence of a crashed airplane. Spooky!

Top Bottom