Join TexasGunTalk

Storm Shelter design, Thinking Out Loud

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by Curt 58, Jul 16, 2018.

1. markshere2

markshere2 New Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Pa
    A. "The Government" is mostly wrong on almost every single thing they do. I would no more trust FEMA to specify my storm shelter than the EPA to make smart moves on mine drainage.

2. Underground stuff gets wet. Period. Bad.

c. Earth berming a shelter makes a lot of sense to me. Pour a slab, Attach a shelter (metal, concrete, whatever), and cover it over with a bunch of dirt. Make your own hobbit house that will allow the wind to swirl around it. As long as you have an established layer of plants with good root systems, the dirts not going anywhere and it will be resistant to flying 2x4s, cows, and F150s.

Pros: doubles as a root cellar
    make it big enough and you can entertain in the cool....

Cons: Not gonna work in a suburban development with active HOA board of jerks.
    Not fast and easy to buy and install

Just spitballin here....

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine Active Member

May 6, 2014
    When my Wife and I first moved here, I taught myself to lay blocks by us building a storm shelter.
    Complete with electricity, TV, cots, etc.
    For some years, while we still lived in a mobile home, we spent some stormy nights in our "cellar".

Storm celler entrance.JPG

Storm celler Hazel.jpg

Storm cellar 2.JPG

We did so good that later we built our whole house. My Wife got good at laying bricks. :)

Hazel brick laying.jpg

Big Green, GoPappy, V-Tach and 2 others like this.
  3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Damn!

V-Tach and Dad_Roman like this.
  4. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Good discussion here...

Was in Alabama a while back, there are some builders there specializing in fortified additions to homes as storm shelters and blending them in with the house. Have also seen some concrete "dumpster" shelters. Often wondered how one of those concrete domes from that company in Italy TX would take a direct hit. There built like an inverted swimming pool...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Big Green

Big Green Well-Known

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I really like that. I’ve thought about an earth covered building but hadn’t thought about the front you have, that’s nice and protected.