• Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I know, so no one has to tell me the old adage that:

When you think it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up.

Yep, it's a nice quote and a nice sentiment but truth is it is kind of ridiculous. Even if a civil war was raging to protect our rights and you were fighting on the RIGHT side, it still would be good and prudent planning on your part to have something stashed away for you to 'dig up' as a last resort kind of a thing. Thus, I just purchased two more of these:

1234.jpg

I already owned one or more of these before my recent purchase of two more. I can attest that I tested one of them while I was still living in NY to see if they actually worked as promised. So, I buried one in my backyard for about 6 months. I buried one, containing a steel handgun (not stainless), two mags for the pistol, and about 500 rounds of ammo for it, in about December and then unearthed it in about May of the following year (don't hold me to the timeframe but it was at least 3cmonths although I recall 5 months). I was quite happy to find everything was dry and nothing had rusted or otherwise had corroded. In with the pistol and ammo, I had placed a silica gel desiccant can - specifically a Hydrosorbent Dehumidifier 40 Gram Canister - and put the gun into the blue "VCI" bag that came with the can. Everything came out dry and it had been buried in a fairly low spot that was usually wet both during and after the winter and the spring thaw.

Now, I'd like to say I also purchased some canisters to protect rifles, in addition to those to protect the pistols, but damn they were expennsive. They also require being buried vertically and to dig down 48 to 56 inches of so vertically and then another foot or two (the cannisters are quite long to accommodate rifles) is a chore to say the least, and that only if you can find ground soft enough to go down that far. So, I just tested these that will fit many pistols and some ammo. It is a good product as far as I am concerned and maybe one you really should consider under the current administration.

All the best,
    Glenn B
    Capitol Armory ad

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    If you live in an apartment, where do you bury it?
    I would bury them in rather remote secret places, away from my apartment but one that I have marked well via GPS and natural landmarks and with which I have a good familiarity. Same as if you live in a house.

I would not burythem in my backyard, except for testing, where the tyrannical authorities might come with metal detectors to check the property right around my home if they are checking on me for whatever property grabbing reason. Of course, there is always the possibility your buried treasures will be discovered by someone else and you will lose them but as you can see, I have ordered more than one of these containers and that stacks the odds in my favor if I am careful while selecting burial spots and while burying my treasure items. Seriously, I think very seriously, the time is coming where you may wish you has something in secret reserve.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm not being contrary. I think I might just get me one of those.
    However. I'm struggling with the concept of leaving a gun and ammo stash "out yonder somewhere". I understand that you can go straight to it. But, anyone else could stumble across it.
    Gramps and his beachcomber setup might get lucky. A dog owner out for a stroll and Fido starts digging. I'm just thinking, leaving a weapon stash that's not on property under my control, could turn out differently than intended.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    When and iff you decide to bury metallic valuables, you may also want to consider burying well rusted/corroded junk over varying depths about one to three feet about your valuables. They get a beep from the metal detector and did and find junk at 12 inches. They try again and find junk at 1.5 feet, they do it all gain and find more junk at 3 feet, hopefully they are lazy and likely to stop digging by that point thinking it is all only junk. Think about it if you are going to do it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I'm not being contrary. I think I might just get me one of those.
    However. I'm struggling with the concept of leaving a gun and ammo stash "out yonder somewhere". I understand that you can go straight to it. But, anyone else could stumble across it.
    Gramps and his beachcomber setup might get lucky. A dog owner out for a stroll and Fido starts digging. I'm just thinking, leaving a weapon stash that's not on property under my control, could turn out differently than intended.
    It's a chance you take. Of course, you could take the chance of securing everything in your safe at home - then the government seizes everything you own from your home - or maybe seizes it from your storage locker or wherever else you have it stored where it is fairly easy to find.

I figure it this way, hidden in a remote location, it's more places than one or three, I have my valuables stored locations where the authorities are unlikely to look. Thus, it's less likely the government or anyone will find them all. It is a chance I am willing to take with items I have decided to covertly store. That way the chance someone may find them is unlikely if I was wise; in fact very unlikely though not impossible for them to find. This is not a situation so much where I am considerig how much they are worth monetarily but how much they are worth in the event I need them to save my life and Constitutional America.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Having been on a few "metal detecting" excursions, I'm running scenarios through my mind.
    What really throws off a guy with a decent, recent technology, detector that's getting steel, brass, copper and lead readings in an area that's only providing some rusted nails and a few pennies?
    An aluminum can thrown in for good measure.
    I was really thinking about some precious metals, but I think I'm talking myself out of it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Having been on a few "metal detecting" excursions, I'm running scenarios through my mind.
    What really throws off a guy with a decent, recent technology, detector that's getting steel, brass, copper and lead readings in an area that's only providing some rusted nails and a few pennies?
    An aluminum can thrown in for good measure.
    I was really thinking about some precious metals, but I think I'm talking myself out of it.
    You can talk yourself out of doing this, and that is your choice. I have already decided doing it is a preferanble survival issue should the past, current or future admins become almost as bad or even worse than Nazi Germany. There was one thing I have always liked about the BSA, their motto, - "Be Prepared". A possible loss of $500 dollars worth of valuables is nothing to me if another stash of the same saves my life or the lives of my loved ones from tyranny.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm not saying you're wrong.
    Hell. You were a government agent. You understand the mindset there better than me.
    I'm just thinking out loud based on my location and experiences.
    I've learned a bit this evening. I consider that to be a productive conversation.
    I need to adjust a few things to fit my current circumstances.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Find an above ground crypt in a very old cemetery.

baboon,

AGREED 100%.

OR perhaps a "deeded cemetery lot" for "future use as a repository for cremains" in your sister's/wife's/niece's/old GF's maiden name, provided that you tell NOBODY about the location/your plans??
    Such a lot would be HARD for a bureaucrat/"snoop" to find.

That said, NOTHING is FOOLPROOF.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Cemetery would be a very poor choice to hide or store things IMO. It's not like you can just walk in at any time and start digging up, or removing things without being noticed. Most I know of are locked up after dark, so that isn't really feasible either.

Unless of course you are the Terminator! Terminators are pretty foolproof. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom