• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I need to take a class like this. Sunday afternoon I saw a terrible motorcycle accident coming home from the grocery store. Crotch rocket hit a curb on a curve. Nobody around.

Bike end over end, guy end over end. He stopped about 4’ from a fire hydrant. That could have been really bad. He definitely had a broken leg.

I was headed the opposite direction but turned to stop traffic. Happened right by a church as they were letting out, and they came and helped him. Two cars blocked traffic before I could so I went home.

Last edited:

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    EDIT: on tapatalk, I didn't notice this was for the SA area. My post was misplaced as such (DFW). Apologies for the interruption.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    This is a good class for ANYBODY. We all should know how to stop the bleed. This is not rocket science. And the instructor goes usually slow so as not to overwhelm the audience.
    I have two certifications (from this fall) so I am good for another 18 months or so.
    But if you are hesitant to attend, you should not be. The class isn't long and it is usually free. That's an unbeatable price for knowing how to save your loves ones if they get hurt.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This is a good class for ANYBODY. We all should know how to stop the bleed. This is not rocket science. And the instructor goes usually slow so as not to overwhelm the audience.
    I have two certifications (from this fall) so I am good for another 18 months or so.
    But if you are hesitant to attend, you should not be. The class isn't long and it is usually free. That's an unbeatable price for knowing how to save your loves ones if they get hurt.

I have told this story before, but its been a while. When my wife's accident happened I pulled the car across the highway to block traffic so she wouldn't get hit again. When I looked up there were 4-6 nurses in scrubs running towards my wife. They were on her in less than two minutes. They had trauma packs, boxes of gloves and other stuff and began working on her quickly. She died, but it wasn't because she bled out on that highway.

One day I hope to be able to do that for someone else should I encounter that situation somewhere.

I carry a trauma pack in my car.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    My condolences, Deemus.
    I too carry a trauma pack in my car or on my bike. You never know when you might need one (for yourself or others). Just like with a gun. Or a pocket knife.
    And as an RSO, I carry a tourniquet at the range at all times, no matter who's running it. If someone is hurt badly enough to need a tourniquet, running to the car to grab it is usually enough time for them to bleed out. Many don't realize this simple fact.

Take the class, folks. It is free. And even if you never need it, it is good to know. And if you do need it, you'll be very glad you took it. It just might save your own life one day. Or selfishly speaking, you just might save my life. The more of us know basic first aid, the more deaths we can prevent. Just like with firearms. The more of us are lawfully armed, the more violent crimes we can prevent.

* And no, I am in no way affiliated with the class, teacher or venue.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I am a registered stop the bleed instructor as well. If you’re able to, please take this class. The information taught can be as valuable as cpr. We usually debunk a lot of myths people are familiar with regarding tourniquet use as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I am a registered stop the bleed instructor as well. If you’re able to, please take this class. The information taught can be as valuable as cpr. We usually debunk a lot of myths people are familiar with regarding tourniquet use as well.

I'd like to see these classes be offered more widely.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I need to take this class. I used to be a Basic Life Support instructor and it would be interesting to see if anything substance has changed.

Example

When I taught CPR the alternated between breaths and compression for single person. Now I believe the only do compression as that also provides ventilation.

Don't get leVieux started on TQ applications. He can't comprehend that applications of a TQ are an emergency especially in a fight that is ongoing don't preclude ER treatment and are only meant to get them to an ER. His god complex as a doc is still overpowering.

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I need to take this class. I used to be a Basic Life Support instructor and it would be interesting to see if anything substance has changed.

Example

When I taught CPR the alternated between breaths and compression for single person. Now I believe the only do compression as that also provides ventilation.

Don't get leVieux started on TQ applications. He can't comprehend that applications of a TQ are an emergency especially in a fight that is ongoing don't preclude ER treatment and are only meant to get them to an ER. His god complex as a doc is still overpowering.

In the classes I taught up north the big change for people was the wider use of the TQ. A lot of people still think it’s a last resort when, depending on the type of injury, location, blood etc. it may be the first intervention. It also covers wound packing, combat gauze etc.

Also, I just logged into the instructor portal and noticed a “Texas Only” presentation. I’m curious to review it.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    In the classes I taught up north the big change for people was the wider use of the TQ. A lot of people still think it’s a last resort when, depending on the type of injury, location, blood etc. it may be the first intervention. It also covers wound packing, combat gauze etc.

Also, I just logged into the instructor portal and noticed a “Texas Only” presentation. I’m curious to review it.

If it is "bleeding a lot" put on a TQ between the injury and the heart.

Bleeding a lot could be a gusher or could be a lighter flow that isn't stopping...

TQs are great but don't forget (classes cover this) how to treat bleeders where a TQ won't work (shoulder, hip, pelvis, neck, head etc).

Approach the injury with:
    "how do I solve the problem and what are my available tools"

Not with "how do I use this tool"

In some high level training I was a "casualty" and had a massively bleeding penetrating trauma to my groin/junctions area and someone put a TQ on my leg, below the injury when really it needed direct pressure and packing. As great as TQs are it is easy to forget there are places they just won't work, so always evaluate the problem, then quickly create a mental list of options to solve the problem, then choose the best one and go from there.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    If it is "bleeding a lot" put on a TQ between the injury and the heart.

Bleeding a lot could be a gusher or could be a lighter flow that isn't stopping...

TQs are great but don't forget (classes cover this) how to treat bleeders where a TQ won't work (shoulder, hip, pelvis, neck, head etc).

Not with "how do I use this tool"

In some high level training I was a "casualty" and had a massively bleeding penetrating trauma to my groin/junctions area and someone put a TQ on my leg, below the injury when really it needed direct pressure and packing. As great as TQs are it is easy to forget there are places they just won't work, so always evaluate the problem, then quickly create a mental list of options to solve the problem, then choose the best one and go from there.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Yup. We always simplified by saying to put it high and tight on the limb. Junctional wounds are a different ball game. Had a call one night, dude managed a deep laceration in his upper thigh near the groin. Cops tried using a tq but realized it was too high and just kinda layed it on there. Took em to the hospital, got stitched up then he walked home, tore the stitches open and then someone placed the tq below the wound . I’ve also seen a tq placed loosely on the upper arm for a finger injury. This is why this class should be more widely available as should TCCC for first responders.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio

Exactly. I think most people are afraid they're going to do some kind of irreparable damage. If someone is bleeding out, nothing else matters. Put your dirty hand in the wound and stop the bleeding. You can stop an aortic bleed with pressure. We do it in surgery.

A blood pressure cuff works by stopping blood flow and slowing releasing until the blood starts flowing again. You can hear the blood flow. The reading on the cuff meter, in mm of mercury, is the blood pressure. Think of how tight a blood pressure cuff is when they let off all the pressure - that's how much pressure you may bleed to stop a bleed.

The only bleeding you cannot easily stop with pressure in bone bleeding, like a broken pelvis or a carotid artery that is lacerated and retracted into the skull base. Even then, a good pack and pressure may stop it.

Patients often overestimate the severity of bleeding. You will know serious bleeding when you see it. In training we said, "It's not too bad until you can hear it (like a garden hose)". Cycleguy is correct, though, that a persistent milder bleed is also a problem.

Top Bottom