• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've been trying to figure out dates of manufacture on these.
    There is little to no info out there on them. About all I've found is the guns were made from 1969 until 1986.
    What I've been doing is compiling a list of serial numbers vs. design changes vs. purchase dates to ballpark the manufacture years.
    The list is quite short as I've only been doing this for a few weeks.

If you have one of these would you mind sharing with me the following info on your piece?
    By PM of course.

Serial number - don't need the entire number, something like 23xxx would be perfect.
    The serial number location on the gun.
    Is it on the left side above the transfer bar take-down screw or on the right side?
    Data show the serial number migrated from left side of frame to right side somewhere between serial#29000 to 52000.
    I have not seen any guns serialed between 29000 and 52000.
    The lowest serial I've seen is 7xx, the highest 100xxx.

Frame material of construction - Aluminum or Steel? Most of them should be aluminum except some of the very late built guns were steel framed.
    The way to tell the difference at a glance is by the safety selector markings. Aluminum frame guns have raised letters "F" and "S" while the steel frame guns will have a green and red indention and no letters.

Barrel length - these came with a 4.5in or 5.5in barrel. Data shows 4.5in to be the predominate type.

Grip type(checkered or smooth)? - data shows guns up to about #25000 had checkered grips while later guns had smooth. Have seen a few late guns with checkered but I'm assuming these aren't original but owner changed. The steel framed guns had checkered grips.

Magazine follower - White, black, green plastic? - data shows original factory mags have a white plastic follower. I've seen a couple of black plastic versions. Very recent reproduction mags have a green plastic follower.

Any dated info on the factory box or purchase receipt when the gun was originally bought.
    The guns came in a black paper box. Late versions came in a bright blue paper box.

Thanks for your help.
    Capitol Armory ad

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I had one of those back in the 60's but, IIRC, I had it before 1969. I would guess around 65-67, but I could easily be wrong. I probably sold it around 70-71. Don't remember much about it.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I had one of those back in the 60's but, IIRC, I had it before 1969. I would guess around 65-67, but I could easily be wrong. I probably sold it around 70-71. Don't remember much about it.

If I have the information correct, Navy Arms marketed these before Stoeger. That would match up with your recollection.
    The Navy Arms versions are very rare. I've never actually seen one. And to muddy the water even more, I've heard of a 7in barrel Navy Arms version.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    If I have the information correct, Navy Arms marketed these before Stoeger. That would match up with your recollection.
    The Navy Arms versions are very rare. I've never actually seen one. And to muddy the water even more, I've heard of a 7in barrel Navy Arms version.
    No, mine was a Stoeger, I remember that much.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Could you clarify which pistol that was? One model looked exactly like a Luger and the other had the toggle mechanism made out of metal stampings. Function of the second pistol was like a Luger but it didn't look as authentic.

Flash

Wyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Tennessee

Several years ago, I came across one of the Navy Arms imports (on Gun Broker) and bought it. I don't remember seeing another one ever. I made a few modifications (had brackets welded to the bottom of the grip frame, which I then ground and shaped to look like an actual P08, made and checkered the grip panels, soldered a larger mag release button on the existing one, found replica grip screws to put in the holes I drilled and threaded in the brackets, replaced the rubber toggle buttons with steel ones that I had knurled and checkered, and made a longer safety lever and had it welded onto the stub of the original one).
    Then, about 8 years or so ago, I came across an original tangent sight assembly for the Artillery model of the P08 and bought it, hoping for the best. I was finally able to get my gunsmith to mill out a sight base and mount the sight fixture, and then he re-blued and polished the whole thing.
    Here is the final product.
    P.S. I understand that Navy Arms (and then Stoeger) marketed them, but I've always wondered who it was that actually manufactured them.
    .22 Luger with tangent sight 001.JPG

Attachments

• .22 Luger with tangent sight 001.JPG
      .22 Luger with tangent sight 001.JPG
      982.8 KB · Views: 659

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Several years ago, I came across one of the Navy Arms imports (on Gun Broker) and bought it. I don't remember seeing another one ever. I made a few modifications (had brackets welded to the bottom of the grip frame, which I then ground and shaped to look like an actual P08, made and checkered the grip panels, soldered a larger mag release button on the existing one, found replica grip screws to put in the holes I drilled and threaded in the brackets, replaced the rubber toggle buttons with steel ones that I had knurled and checkered, and made a longer safety lever and had it welded onto the stub of the original one).
    Then, about 8 years or so ago, I came across an original tangent sight assembly for the Artillery model of the P08 and bought it, hoping for the best. I was finally able to get my gunsmith to mill out a sight base and mount the sight fixture, and then he re-blued and polished the whole thing.
    Here is the final product.
    P.S. I understand that Navy Arms (and then Stoeger) marketed them, but I've always wondered who it was that actually manufactured them. View attachment 178283
    Welcome to the forum

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Erma made a 22cal Luger clone in the 60's.
    They made a zinc metal framed version and a very rare steel frame version. The zinc alloy framed guns were absolute junk. They literally wore out after a few thousand rounds. The steel framed guns are so rare I've never actually seen one except in photos.

Since I first posted this I have recorded much more serial number data.
    There are five different frame markings of the Stoeger .22 Luger.
    Three on the aluminum framed and two on the steel framed.
    Aluminum framed guns were produced from 1969 until about 1979. Steel from 1979-1985.
    Early aluminum guns were marked with a small two line company address and serial number on the left side of the frame up to around serial# 19500.
    Aluminum guns between 19500 to around 48500 had the larger four line company address marking and serial number on the left side of the frame.
    Around serial #48500 the address and serial# were swapped to the right side of the frame and the Luger logo on the left. This continued until the end of aluminum frame manufacture at approx. serial#105000.
    Then came the steel frame guns.
    Early steel guns had the same large address marking as the later aluminum framed guns.
    At approx. serial# CLO4000 the address marking was changed to a small two line version. This lasted until the end of production at about serial# CLO10500.
    Aluminum framed guns could be had with a 4.5in or 5.5in barrel. Steel guns only came with a 4.5in barrel.
    There was an aluminum frame target version available with an adjustable rear sight, checkered grips, and a 5.5in barrel. I have never seen or heard of a steel frame target version.

Wyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Tennessee
    I found a Navy Arms version (with the longer barrel) several years back and bought it. Later I made some modifications to the frame to allow me to use some grip panels that I made out of walnut. Last thing I did was get a gunsmith to fabricate a sight base so that we could mount a tangent rear sight, similar to that on the artillery model of the P-08.
    Navy Arms .22 Luger 001.JPG
    Navy Arms .22 Luger 006.JPG

Attachments

• Navy Arms .22 Luger 001.JPG
      Navy Arms .22 Luger 001.JPG
      2.6 MB · Views: 510
    • Navy Arms .22 Luger 006.JPG
      Navy Arms .22 Luger 006.JPG
      1.7 MB · Views: 371
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support