DK Firearms

Still no Marlin 60's out there it seems.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Still no 60 but I've been pulling out the old 22s and doing some comprehensive cleaning and cuddling them and taking them one at a time to my local range for function tests. Had an issue with the JC Higgins 42 (Marlin 80) failing to eject but adjusted the ejector and it throws cases into the next county now. Cut my thumb on the old stamped sheet metal safety on the Savage Springfield but the innards were actually in better shape than expected. Some built up crud but cleaned up with some CLP and an old tooth brush. The JC Higgins 28 (High Standard) has been a very pleasant surprise and except for there not being a way to lock the bolt open it's been every bit as nice as I remembered.

JC Higgins 42:
    standard.jpg

Savage Springfield 187M:
    standard.jpg

JC Higgins 28:
    standard.jpg

Got one more that needs it's Spa Day, my NewHaven (Mossberg) 251C. It is the carbine style which back in the 50s & 60s meant a short 18½" barrel instead of the normal 20" to 24". Like the Savage and the JC Higgins 28 it's tube fed but with the tube through the stock instead of below the barrel. Pictures once it's had it's Spa Day.

Surprisingly when it comes to my newer 22s I find the Rossi RB22 bolt action far more accurate and enjoyable than the Ruger 10/22. In fact of them all I'd have to place the 10/22 as the cutest but least enjoyable of them all.
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have had a couple ancient (1920’s) 22s I’ve brought back to life over the years. Pretty fun to see them shoot. Wish I had kept them now.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I wish I had kept all the ones I had also.

Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag
    Walther P-38 ww2 bring back w/nazi proof marks bought in !968.
    Remington Nylon 66
    Marlin 336 lever action in 35 Rem.
    Colt Frontier Scout
    Rossi Double barrel 20 ga. coach gun
    Norinco M14
    Still kick myself for selling these.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I have one in my safe. Still shoots as good as a brand new one. The stick has seen better days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve got a Glenfield Model 60 that shoots great. Sold my 10/22 long ago, but the Glenfield will stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Had to go pick up my Dad's firearms last month (dementia). Among them is a Marlin 60 I bought him so he'd quit shooting varmints in the garden with a 30-30. The only thing I know for sure he shot was a plastic bird feeder. (A coon was climbing up it and eating all the seeds. Dad missed the coon, the feeder exploded, and the coon ate all the seeds on the ground.) I put a laser on it to try to help him aim, but he never quite got the hang of it.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Had to go pick up my Dad's firearms last month (dementia). Among them is a Marlin 60 I bought him so he'd quit shooting varmints in the garden with a 30-30. The only thing I know for sure he shot was a plastic bird feeder. (A coon was climbing up it and eating all the seeds. Dad missed the coon, the feeder exploded, and the coon ate all the seeds on the ground.) I put a laser on it to try to help him aim, but he never quite got the hang of it.
    Knowing coons the coon probably set the whole thing up to make it easier to get at the seeds.

festering

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    The second rifle I bought new was a Marlin 60. I bought it in 1986, one of the few years they had 18 round magazine and the bolt locked open after last shot. I still shoot the hell out of it. A great gun.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Finished Spa Day on another of the oldies, a New Haven (Mossberg) 251c carbine size (18½" barrel). Lots cleaner inside than expected so next it needs to get to the range for function checks.

large.jpg

I'll use the same 15 round speed loaders but of course since this feed through the tube in the stock instead of from under the barrel they need to be loaded to feed bullet first. I'll use red caps on the rim first and black caps on the bullet first.

I also mounted the scope rail on the 10/22 to see if it is any more enjoyable that way.

large.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My Marlin Glenfield model 60 was manufactured in he very early 1980's from it's features I have determined. It has the 21" barrel and holds 18 rounds in the tube. It doesn't have the LSHO bolt feature, and it's marked with the Glenfield logo on it as well as Marlin.

I bought this one for next to nothing some years ago, and it was cosmetically challenged to say the least. I took it apart and cleaned up and restained the hardwood stock and refinished the metal on it. I had a spare rimfire scope and all I needed were some grooved receiver mounts which were not expensive. Replaced the recoil spring and buffer while it was torn down.

It's a pretty decent shooter.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for
    Thanks. That frame was a little too fancy for me and fortunately it was already sold.

I'm really at the point where I'm not actively looking any more. I have a couple modern guns and honestly they are no where near as much fun as my old ones. It's likely a good thing no Marlin's were available since it got me to pull the oldies out and get them all cleaned up and back in service.

I will likely though step up from my old 4x fixed power scopes to a newer adjustable power one.

Top Bottom