Capitol Armory ad

Still looking for some place to kill hogs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    I can pay, just don't want to get crazy about it. In the DFW area, willing to travel a few hours. Responsible, seasoned Hunter, just looking to not waste extra money to kill vermin.
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The hog hunters around here cut up the hog and ice it down with salt in large coolers for up to 10 days. They hang the hog from a tripod and use a reciprocating saw to cut it lengthwise. It's a huge hassle, but the meat is really outstanding! I've eaten a lot of it and can't say that I've had any better!

Flash

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    The hog hunters around here cut up the hog and ice it down with salt in large coolers for up to 10 days. They hang the hog from a tripod and use a reciprocating saw to cut it lengthwise. It's a huge hassle, but the meat is really outstanding! I've eaten a lot of it and can't say that I've had any better!

Flash

Kinda what I had in mind, except smaller pieces. But it starts with hanging, gutting, and then "processing" the meat.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Hogs are easier to clean on the ground or table than hanging. Unlike deer, i don't care about the rib meat and sausage cuts. They're so nasty I recommend quartering without opening the body cavity. Slide down the backbone and up from the knees and lay the skin aside. Once the hams and loins are off, go in carefully just under the short ribs and retrieve the tenderloins.

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    You don't "bleed out" wild hogs? Just trying to learn and find some place to hunt.

I'm a rookie with hogs, but not a rookie hunter.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "I can pay, just don't want to get crazy about it."

Not many super low cost commercial places to hunt hogs in Texas. So, unless you have a friend with land and a plague of hogs...... you're going to have to pay or deep six the idea.

There a place in Seguin called Nighthogs.com (no, not close to Dallas, but if you're serious they're excellent)

Have a gander at their website.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Just trying to learn and find some place to hunt.
    ...... unless you have a friend with land and a plague of hogs...... you're going to have to pay or deep six the idea.
    Kinda true. I live in the country. Hunted more than I care to and done with it. Like MM says, you have to have friends with land. I have a bud that we sit on his front porch overlooking a couple hundred acres down into a bottom and shoot all we want.

Move to the country??? :green:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    ZX9,

No, from others who recommended them.

However, given I've had my own land devastated by these critters, I had no need to seek out Nighthogs.

I spent my money on fencing to keep them out, thought to be sure, at one time, I shot them from by back porch.

Would I have folks I don't know shoot on my land?

Not in a million years....

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Post pics or vids of hog cleaning. Wouldn’t mind some tips.
    All midnight rendezvous...no pics no vids...sorry

at one time, I shot them from by back porch.

Good point. Pretty sure that PoBoyGunner is talking about killing with a high powered rifle. Shoot from the porch of my buds house like you said.

When I went out in the field after them it was with this knife (not the HiPoint)
    IMG_0377.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
      IMG_0377.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 336
    Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    ZX9,

No, from others who recommended them.

However, given I've had my own land devastated by these critters, I had no need to seek out Nighthogs.

I spent my money on fencing to keep them out, thought to be sure, at one time, I shot them from by back porch.

Not sure why you are addressing me, I was asking kar98.

Top Bottom