• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Ok... so ima dumdass when it comes to anything that starts with ‘Reloading’. OK... got that outta the way.

Question #1: Can you reload steel casings?

Question #2: If you can - would you want to?
    ARJ Defense ad

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Ok... so ima dumdass when it comes to anything that starts with ‘Reloading’. OK... got that outta the way.

Question #1: Can you reload steel casings?

Question #2: If you can - would you want to?

1. Yes
    2. No

Yes it can be done, but its not advisable and its hell on the equipment. Steel casings are much harder than brass so it tears up the dies and press. It also frequently splits instead of stretching. I did once. Just so I could say I did. Hell I also reloaded some aluminum 45 acp once too, just for shits and grins.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    What @TxStetson said.
    And cases are not durable so reloading more than once is very risky, And if a case fails while in The chamber on your gun and gets stuck you will learn a few new profanities.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Same as others. Yes you can and no it isnt worth it given how much brass is out there for the taking... or pickup as it may be for reloaders.

I shoot all the aluminum we load by accident, no matter how hard you try a few always slip through. I miss them being berdan, darn you CCI.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Thanks... if I’m gonna shoot steel cases that’s all I’ll take that day. That way won’t have to worry with sorting while picking up cases. Just won’t pick any up.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    A magnet makes real quick work out of sorting steel cases too. I am a brass goblin at my club so I scoop it up and sort it later.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    A magnet makes real quick work out of sorting steel cases too. I am a brass goblin at my club so I scoop it up and sort it later.
    I forget which range it is here in the Houston area but their rules stated any brass beyond the shooting line becomes the property of the range. I reckon that makes sense. The Marksman range in South Houston has instructions to kick all casings beyond the shooting line - at which time it becomes their's as well. But I "think" it's ok to pick it up as well.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Brass collection can be a point of contention at many ranges......if you are on the range and don't know their policy, it would be best to ask....All ranges have a policy...some don't enforce them....some do......courtesy goes a long way....don't assume anything....jmho..

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Yeah, sort of like a sticker on your aggregate trailer starting you aren't responsible for broken windshields. Uh-huh, that sticker negates the law magically.

6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    Steel cases will wear down your gun parts faster than brass, after 1000s of rounds. If your gun is cheap, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's expense or an heirloom, definitely only brass.

Rango

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2019
    Aledo, TX
    Steel? No, way to hard on dies.
    I've gotten to the point if I'm going to reload it. I want the ammo to be top shelf, i start with ROLL SIzed brass then it goes through the regular sizing die. Super reliable that way. :-)

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    When I'm shooting at Marksman if there is anyone in the stalls next to me i ask if they're picking up their brass so as not to cause an issue if they are. Once folks see me collecting casings many go out of their way to help.

REM1875

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2019
    Clay County TX
    I ain't gonna say I started reloading a long time ago but WWII 45 ACP steel casings were occasionally found - shot- and rarely reloaded. (but most of us tried it) Then when we finally got ammo for the commie stuff (7.62x39, 9 Mak, etc) steel started showing up again..... (as a matter of fact most of my 9 Mak was made from 9x19 trimmed down, until very recently.)

SimpleGreen6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    East Houston
    Reloading steel is definitely a hobby within a hobby. There is utility in it if you have a specific reason. I got into reloading Berdan because I had a ton of surplus Yugo 7.62x39 brass cases and the primers were available at the time. I don't usually find much x39 brass on the ground at the range and couldn't see myself just scrapping this perfectly good NNY and Igman Yugo brass. So I bought a case of primers and the RCBS decapping tool and went to work. My decapping speed probably takes twice as long as decapping boxer primed rifle cartridges on a press with a Lee Universal Decapping Die. Other than that the loading process is the same as boxer primed cartridges.
    I reload 7.62x39 steel cartridges for hunting ammo to be shot through an SKS. The ejector on the SKS dings the head of brass cartridges bad enough that the cartridge won't fit in the case gauge after being resized. Steel cartridges don't get deformed as bad as brass. I've got plenty of x39 brass but don't want it to get damaged in the SKS or lost while hunting.
    I use Tula Berdan primers, 123gr SST bullets and H4198 to replicate the Hornady SST steel case round that was sold in 50 round boxes. This is a one time deal. Load them once and that's it.
    I'm also sitting on 2k pulled bullets that came from 2 cases of Wolf x39 ammo that was submerged during Hurricane Harvey. I tried swaging a few to .308 to use in 300 BLK but the bases of the bullets weren't uniform and they'd enter the swage die off center and end up lopsided. I decided to load them in their original form to be used for plinking in my SKS. The problem is now I've gotta collect 2,000 decent steel cartridges on my trips to the range.
    So....If anyone would like to trade their recently fired or collected 7.62x39 steel casings for some brass I'm your Huckleberry. A slight bit of rust frost is ok as it is polished away when tumbled with walnut and NuFinish. Polymer or Lacquer coated, Copper or Brass plated, all will suffice. I've got 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BLK, various other calibers and plenty of once fired LC 5.56 to trade.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The only time I used a die set on steel cases was when I wanted to shoot my SVT40 at Fossil Pointe and they don't allow FMJ rifle ammo.

I simply pulled the bullets from the surplus Russian steel ammo and replaced with some .303 British JSP bullets.

The range guy came by and told me to stop shooting FMJ and I told him it was Soft Points.
    He asked where I got surplus steel case 7.62 x 54 with Soft Points??

I told him I pulled the FMJ and loaded Soft Points.

He shrugged and walked away satisfied.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Reloading steel is definitely a hobby within a hobby. There is utility in it if you have a specific reason. I got into reloading Berdan because I had a ton of surplus Yugo 7.62x39 brass cases and the primers were available at the time. I don't usually find much x39 brass on the ground at the range and couldn't see myself just scrapping this perfectly good NNY and Igman Yugo brass. So I bought a case of primers and the RCBS decapping tool and went to work. My decapping speed probably takes twice as long as decapping boxer primed rifle cartridges on a press with a Lee Universal Decapping Die. Other than that the loading process is the same as boxer primed cartridges.
    I reload 7.62x39 steel cartridges for hunting ammo to be shot through an SKS. The ejector on the SKS dings the head of brass cartridges bad enough that the cartridge won't fit in the case gauge after being resized. Steel cartridges don't get deformed as bad as brass. I've got plenty of x39 brass but don't want it to get damaged in the SKS or lost while hunting.
    I use Tula Berdan primers, 123gr SST bullets and H4198 to replicate the Hornady SST steel case round that was sold in 50 round boxes. This is a one time deal. Load them once and that's it.
    I'm also sitting on 2k pulled bullets that came from 2 cases of Wolf x39 ammo that was submerged during Hurricane Harvey. I tried swaging a few to .308 to use in 300 BLK but the bases of the bullets weren't uniform and they'd enter the swage die off center and end up lopsided. I decided to load them in their original form to be used for plinking in my SKS. The problem is now I've gotta collect 2,000 decent steel cartridges on my trips to the range.
    So....If anyone would like to trade their recently fired or collected 7.62x39 steel casings for some brass I'm your Huckleberry. A slight bit of rust frost is ok as it is polished away when tumbled with walnut and NuFinish. Polymer or Lacquer coated, Copper or Brass plated, all will suffice. I've got 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BLK, various other calibers and plenty of once fired LC 5.56 to trade.

I have two barrels full of steel going to the scrapper and a lot of it is x39. Stuff is everywhere

Top Bottom