• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not looking for technicalities, just y’all’s honest opinions.

I grew-up listening to the WWII VETS. Dad had been all over and spent over a year & a half in Combat areas of Europe. 3 # of my 4 Uncles were Enlisted Sailors i the USN in the Pacific, also combat.

I was just in the USAR, Medical Corps, a Captain 3900 for 7 years but the longest I was on active duty was about 17 days at one time. So, I never considered myself a Vet, nor called myself a Vet.

Friend asked me to join our hometown American Legion Post, which is dying-out. I told him that I was not eligible, but he showed me that I was, so I joined.

Still never called myself a VET, but our youngest, who did 2 tours as a USMC Sergeant, now tells me that I’m a Vet.

I never got any farther than the Officer’s Club @ Fort Sill, spent most of my time supervising WO-PA’s at Darnall or Renolds Hospitals (Hood & Fort Sam). I always preface with “I was IN during “Nam, but I never went anywhere or did anything!” So, no “valor” here, no way.

Question now is how would/do you REAL VETS feel today about someone like me being considered or called a “Vet” ? The few old Buddies I have left who did go say “No big deal”. (I’m in my 80th year.)

Please tell me.

Thanks,
    leVieux
    Gun Zone Deals

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you go through boot camp?
    No, but Medical Officers never did. So that’s not an issue. I knew Docs who were called-up, put into a uniform, rushed through a quick BOBC / BOAC, and put on a plane for the far East.

Moi, I knew the old “Officer’s Bible” by heart already. I did grow up in a Military Family and went through the mandatory ROTC @ LSU.

Please tell me more. . . . .

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Got a DD-214 or it’s service specific discharge equivalent, then you served; if you want the label, you’ve earned it. For some it’s a source pride and how they identify, for others it was just period of time that’s now in the past.

Ain’t neither right nor wrong.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'd say with 100% certainty in my opinion, you're a vet and I salute you, and thank you for your service.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    leVieux,

I'm in the same situation. Commissioned as a 1st Lieutenant in 1987 in the USAFR. Air Force Officers Orientation Course (AFOOCS) at Maxwell, AFB. Assigned to the 433 MAW @ Kelly AFB.

Did several 179 day "tours" (180 days qualifies you for benefits and VA status) during Shield/Storm. Made Captain twice (long story). Did a total of 12 years and was honorably discharged. For those who know the terminology, I was a "Cat A" reservist. I did one, sometimes two weekend drills a month and three -weeks, or more, each summer.

I do not qualify for VA loans, status, and have always shied away from calling myself a Veteran.

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    leVieux,

I'm in the same situation. Commissioned as a 1st Lieutenant in 1987 in the USAFR. Air Force Officers Orientation Course (AFOOCS) at Maxwell, AFB. Assigned to the 433 MAW @ Kelly AFB.

Did several 179 day "tours" (180 days qualifies you for benefits and VA status) during Shield/Storm. Made Captain twice (long story). Did a total of 12 years and was honorably discharged. For those who know the terminology, I was a "Cat A" reservist. I did one, sometimes two weekend drills a month and three -weeks, or more, each summer.

I do not qualify for VA loans, status, and have always shied away from calling myself a Veteran.
    Don’t. You’re a Vet.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I never got any farther than the Officer’s Club @ Fort Sill, spent most of my time supervising WO-PA’s at Darnall or Renolds Hospitals (Hood & Fort Sam). I always preface with “I was IN during “Nam, but I never went anywhere or did anything!” So, no “valor” here, no way.

Question now is how would/do you REAL VETS feel today about someone like me being considered or called a “Vet” ? The few old Buddies I have left who did go say “No big deal”. (I’m in my 80th year.)

Please tell me.

Thanks,
    leVieux

Being 'in country' during Vietnam was not a requirement.
    It took soldiers all around world to support those of us in combat.
    You are a Veteran, be proud ... and thank you for your service.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Yep, for every person with a combat arms mos, there are 5 support folk in a non-combat mos. At least that's what we were told in the late 60d early 70s.
    There are 5 branches of combat arms in the army; Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Corps of Engineers and the one everybody forgets, the Signal Corps. Although there may have been some additions and reclassification since I was in.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, for every person with a combat arms mos, there are 5 support folk in a non-combat mos. At least that's what we were told in the late 60d early 70s.
    There are 5 branches of combat arms in the army; Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Corps of Engineers and the one everybody forgets, the Signal Corps. Although there may have been some additions and reclassification since I was in.
    Our small “field hospital” unit was more or less permanently “attached” to really big hospital staffing unit. They kept telling us that we were going overseas; twice to Vietnam and once to Germany, but we wound-up never leaving Texas, Louisiana, & Oklahoma.

Even got fake “call-up’s” twice.

Then, after it was all over, we learned that the real plan was to send the medical staff from Tripler and have us replace them in Hawaii.

Of about 200 Officers & EM’s, ony a half dozen of us could actually handle firearms. Our annual trips to the range at Camp Bullis for “qualifications” were a real ZOO. Our Pharmacist, I, and the range Sergeant had to stand behind the Yankee Docs with our arms outstretched, to block them from turning around with fingers on triggers and sweeping the folks behind us.

The deployed units were given “Stoners” years earlier, but we were just getting them and they were still having frequent FTE & FTL “jams”.

We were offered Berrettas 92’s for range use only, but rarely fired them.

Because I was the only Physician authorized to sign a U S Army induction physical exam South of San Antonio, they bartered .45 ACP ammo for those, they couldn’t pay. I got all that I wanted, as long as I returned the brass to the armory Sergeant. I later found out that wasn’t true, either. There was a USAR MC Doc at Mission who later became a General.

Thank you all for your real service.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not looking for technicalities, just y’all’s honest opinions.

I grew-up listening to the WWII VETS. Dad had been all over and spent over a year & a half in Combat areas of Europe. 3 # of my 4 Uncles were Enlisted Sailors i the USN in the Pacific, also combat.

I was just in the USAR, Medical Corps, a Captain 9100 for 7 years but the longest I was on active duty was about 17 days at one time. So, I never considered myself a Vet, nor called myself a Vet.

Friend asked me to join our hometown American Legion Post, which is dying-out. I told him that I was not eligible, but he showed me that I was, so I joined.

Still never called myself a VET, but our youngest, who did 2 tours as a USMC Sergeant, now tells me that I’m a Vet.

I never got any farther than the Officer’s Club @ Fort Sill, spent most of my time supervising WO-PA’s at Darnall or Renolds Hospitals (Hood & Fort Sam). I always preface with “I was IN during “Nam, but I never went anywhere or did anything!” So, no “valor” here, no way. I do have the “Honorable Discharge” document.

Please tell me.

Thanks,
    leVieux

Top Bottom