• 1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    My understanding is that it will be emissions testing only, no safety inspection for those 17 counties, mine included. My 95 GMC has aged out of the emission inspections, so that is my one vehicle I won't have to take in annually.

I wonder how they will handle license registrations then, since the inspections were/are a requirement to register the vehicle.
    I have thinking that also. I have a '96 Chebbie c1500.
    ARJ Defense ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My understanding is that it will be emissions testing only, no safety inspection for those 17 counties, mine included. My 95 GMC has aged out of the emission inspections, so that is my one vehicle I won't have to take in annually.

I wonder how they will handle license registrations then, since the inspections were/are a requirement to register the vehicle.

I had been wondering about this.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Drop front plate and put the expiration sticker on the rear plate instead of the windshield.

Just curious, does anyone know of anyone being pulled over for no front plate? I know several guys who drive daily with no front plate.
    I was once.
    Hit a raccon and the littl bugger took my front plate with him.
    Got pulled over the same day. Just a warning though.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Im not sure how I feel about that. There are too many irresponsible people, but I want government out too. When I was younger, a state inspection actually meant something - they looked at your brakes, fluid levels, seat belts, checked your parking brake... - Now I drive to a Jiffy Lube and they check my lights and see if I've got squirter fluid - done. Kinda worthless IMHO.
    Yes, and they also checked headlight alignment and height which is gotten way out of hand

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    And why should that be the government’s job? Smaller government is better government!
    Agreed on smaller government. So eliminate as much of the tax wasting bullshit and use some of those revenues to force inspectors to sht down unsafe gheto cruisers.

You can drop emissins testing though.
    Some are just going to unplg thier EGR valves after they pass anyway.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    emissions as a whole is bullshit and so is state vehicle inspections, if I wanna drive in a 73 duster to and from work with the bare minimum and I dont have shit falling off it, they can kiss my ass.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    emissions as a whole is bullshit and so is state vehicle inspections, if I wanna drive in a 73 duster to and from work with the bare minimum and I dont have shit falling off it, they can kiss my ass.
    the number of people driving unsafe vehicles is staggering if drivers werebeing responsible about making sure their vehicle was safe to operatethen vehicle inspections wouldn't be neededyin the first placeccary so someone independent is needed to inspect for problemsthat make a vehicle unsafe to operate!

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    the number of people driving unsafe vehicles is staggering if drivers werebeing responsible about making sure their vehicle was safe to operatethen vehicle inspections wouldn't be neededyin the first placeccary so someone independent is needed to inspect for problemsthat make a vehicle unsafe to operate!
    there are some people who are genuinely living paycheck to paycheck and that shitbox held together by chicken wire and needs new piston rings is the only thing they have from a to b
    I just dont wanna pay some dickhead to look at my car when all the shit on it works.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney

Guess we’ll have to agree to just disagree on this. Of all the states that once-upon-a-time had vehicle safety inspections as they were originally called and then got rid of them, I’m not aware of a single state that reversed course and reinstated them. As has been pointed out, handling the drunk driver and mobile phone user issue would have an infinitely greater impact on public safety. Personally, I need less government intrusion in my life… not more!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    But the soccer mom will almost certainly have insurance.

....which will fight you every step of the way on the claim. And your insurance will still go up.

How this applies to vehicle inspections?....who knows? If someone operates an unsafe vehicle and that vehicle causes an accident, that's covered by criminal negligence laws.....

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    ....which will fight you every step of the way on the claim. And your insurance will still go up.

How this applies to vehicle inspections?....who knows? If someone operates an unsafe vehicle and that vehicle causes an accident, that's covered by criminal negligence laws.....
    Actually, no. I was rear ended by a soccer mom, and yes, she was driving a Suburban.
    Her insurance paid for the repairs, no questions asked.

As for inspections, proof of insurance is the first thing they always ask me for.

Last edited:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    the government doesnt need to know what I'm driving nor do they need to know if the third brake light is out.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Thread is TL;DR
    I actually went through it this morning.
    Feds. EPA requirements.
    Yup - people have no idea how many 'state' requirements are due to the EPA leaning on the State.
    Drop front plate and put the expiration sticker on the rear plate instead of the windshield.

Just curious, does anyone know of anyone being pulled over for no front plate? I know several guys who drive daily with no front plate.
    Front plates are required for several reasons, and I myself have been pulled over for no front plate - by DPS, years ago.
    I was pulled over by DPS for no front plate about 25 years ago on I10 around the Weimar/Columbus area. Truck in front of me kicked up a gator a few days earlier that took out the license plate, the plate mount, and part of my grille. I showed the trooper the accident report, so he gave me a warning on the missing license plate. but cited me for dark window tint instead.
    The missing front plate is Probable Cause to initiate a traffic stop, and DPS uses it a lot.
    Same thing on my old used truck, that 3rd brake light had never worked and always passed until this last time. Had to install a new one.
    Third Brake Light is not required to pass Texas Safety Inspection last I checked.
    THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS HAVE BEEN REQUIRED SINCE 1986ON ALL VEHICLES
    But Texas doesn't require them to work.
    as a former certified vehicle safety examiner i was not employed by the state or any other goverment i only enforced the vehicle safety codesconcerning the safe operation of a vehicle on public roads! i failed many a vehicle that scared me that people operated on public roadswith no regard to the dangerous condition that their vehicle was in!
    The high number of unsafe and uninsured vehicles on the road in the cities of Texas ensures this will be a clusterfuck royale.

Eli

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Much better mileage on my Diesel. About 18% increase.
    Have to call BS on an 18% increase in mileage. I have a 2006 F350 that has been deleted and mileage didn't change a lick. That isn't the reason most do EGR deletes. And it didn't make my clunker faster either ;-)

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Have to call BS on an 18% increase in mileage. I have a 2006 F350 that has been deleted and mileage didn't change a lick. That isn't the reason most do EGR deletes. And it didn't make my clunker faster either ;-)
    I didn't know Ford had EGR in 2006, or is it a gas engine?

I didn't do it for mileage either, the increase in mpg was just a bonus.
    I didn't feel any performance increase either, but feeling is not a good unit of measure. Calculated fuel economy is.

2008 Dodge 3500 Cummins 6.7

Highway mileage 16.5 with EGR that has been my average mpg for as long as I can remember.

Highway mileage with EGR unplugged 19.7 and you are correct, 18% is bs. I just did the math and it was actually 19.39% if I did it correctly.

I did this as an experiment. EGR codes are soft codes on the Cummins, so no derate when the code is set. so I gave it a try.
    The mileage increase has been very consistent over the past 7 months, I have gotten well over 20 a few times but I attribute that to tailwinds vs headwinds where the mileage might drop slightly.

Mileage towing my fifth wheel RV went from 8.9 to 13.2.

I also see a lot less DPF regen cycles, and not putting excessive soot into my oil anymore.
    EGR is and always has been a bad joke.

Top Bottom