• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Texas is looking at between 11-17 billion for a shortfall and it will be ammo for White. Crud!
    Venture Surplus ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That's article was speculative, and could be political rhetoric as we run up to the election. Plus, the state’s Rainy Day Fund is expected to have a balance of about $8.2 billion; so some of it could be offset. I wouldn't consider it a fact just yet...and as we have learned, the Democrats are no better at controlling spending and balancing the budget than the Republicans!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    i was under the understanding that we had a constitutional amendment that forbade defecit spending in this state. So they have to find the money or cut some programs....the way normal people do.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    i was under the understanding that we had a constitutional amendment that forbade defecit spending in this state. So they have to find the money or cut some programs....the way normal people do.
    I thought so too? I remember they were talking about this same subject on 590 klbj today.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    White said the tax word, just like Democrats. Close the borders and get rid of the people sucking off the system!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Ok this is not a Perry caused Issue but an Obama issue
    The shortfall is mainly a result of lower-than-expected sales tax receipts.
    If the economy was not in the crapper and people had money to spend then this would be a non issue.
    I agree that the entitlement programs need to take a hit first and force these lazy folks back to work or out of the state.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

IIRC, When I lived in OK, they even had an amendment which forbade a public entity from borrowing money. They got around this, of course by calling it something else. But the idea was interesting.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Let Houston keep Mr. Smith....Rick Perry may be just an old car with some scratches and dents but we know where he's been, and we know where he's going and that is for Texas & Texans, not taxes for Texas. The Tax and Spend from Washington is not the direction that Texans need nor their knee jerk ideas !!!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    IIRC, When I lived in OK, they even had an amendment which forbade a public entity from borrowing money. They got around this, of course by calling it something else. But the idea was interesting.
    There is a difference between a balanced budget and "not borrowing". I dont know how ANY government agency would operate if it couldn't borrow. My city has a balanced budget EVERY year but does sell bonds and use other avenues to tackle large capital improvements. But thats not defecit spending. Having to borrow to make the payroll every month would be "defecit spending". (i.e. Washington DC)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Didn't Perry's ad campaign during the primary state that Texas had a budget surplus?
    Yes...and we have had a surplus. What some are saying now is that we have a projected defecit.
    Keep in mind part of the surplus was from Washington stimulus money that wont be here this year. Perry made it sound a little better than it actually was during the campaign.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Experience and track record mean a lot to me when choosing who to vote for, not promises and rhetoric (which is why I didn't vote for Obama!). Perry has done well for Texas over the past decade and I don't see what we need to take a chance with an unknown like White. It's not like he's a bad guy, and under other circumstances I would probably vote for him. He was smart enough to bail out on the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition when that group denounced a proposal concerning the reciprocity of CHLs with other states; but anyone who served under the Clinton Administration will always be suspect in my book.

Even so, it would take a lot to convince me to vote for such an unknown over a sitting governor who has a strong track record of taking care of the state. Plus, I like the fact that he is not only an Eagle Scout, but also a former USAF C-130 pilot who served overseas. Most importantly, he's very pro-gun, and has passed numerous bills to protect the gun rights of Texans. Remember, he was the one that signed “Castle Doctrine” into law!

I also find it interesting that both are avid cyclists!

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Clockwork is right, no matter who the POLLOCKTICIAN is their all LIARS!!! that being said, at least TEXAS has a somewhat thriving economy compared to the other states that are completely bankrupt and run by the DEMO's. honestly, can anyone name one of the 7 or so bankrupt or soon to be states that is run by the majority of republicans?? Uh NOPE, and Yea Miss spendalot Kay isnt any better. and i for one would vote for a third true conservative party if it wouldnt steal/guarranty a win for more demo's!! why is it every Demo i can think of wants to take what I've earned and help some SLACKER of whom has less than I??????

Top Bottom