• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jekbrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry I'm late to the thread, but I manage the AR-15 Parts Weights Database, or PWD. I need to do an update, but it's the best resource for part weights on the internet. Thousands and thousands of parts. If you want to know how to build light, this is where you start. Sub-3 lb ARs are entirely possible.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/08/ar-15-parts-weights-database/
    Texas SOT

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Sorry I'm late to the thread, but I manage the AR-15 Parts Weights Database, or PWD. I need to do an update, but it's the best resource for part weights on the internet. Thousands and thousands of parts. If you want to know how to build light, this is where you start. Sub-3 lb ARs are entirely possible.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/08/ar-15-parts-weights-database/

Oh sure now you show up. I managed to get mine under 6 pounds and I'm happy with that.

jekbrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I try not to think about it...but generally "ultra light" and "reasonably priced" don't go together. You can get to 4lbs without spending an arm and a leg or buying a mill / lathe to customize everything, but once you get in the 3lb game you have to go into it knowing it's going to cost big bucks.

Every once in a while you run until a very light weight part that actually is very reasonably priced though. Easy example: Hogue's 15 degree grip. One of the lightest factory grips available, and under $20.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    lol, well, in my defense, when I started the PWD I was living in WA and wasn't a member of this forum. If you were on AR15.com or m4carbine.net you prolly would have heard all about it. :cool:

Not aware of m4carbine, but ARF doesn't like my email address and I've had it longer than their site has existed. I'm not changing it just to register. Just from lurking I don't see anything they have to offer that we don't offer better.

We're glad to have you. Plenty of non-Texans here. They're welcome.

jekbrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Arfcom isn't without it's issues, but one thing they do have going for them is the 117 page ultralight thread. Owners of the lightest ARs in the world congregate there to share info, post verified parts weights, and show off their latest builds. No need to join the site, there's a direct link to the thread in the FAQ / thanks sheet in the PWD. :)

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I would go with a faxon or larue barrel before a BCM. BCM is ok, but occasionally they seem to put out BBL's that aren't that great

Larues gas blocks are AFAIK proprietary to their barrels

I would skip the muzzle device, get an A2 and put that money towards something like a BCM MCMR.

I would skip NiB. Maybe try and find a hard chrome BCG. i think brownells makes one. Other wise phosphate is fine

Latchless charging handles can eventually wear out the upper, i would consider either saving up for a Geissele ACH or Radian Raptor. Or just use a regular old milspec one

If you are going with an SBR build, why go with a 14.5" barrel? 1.5" longer will save you a tax stamp. Why not go with a 12.5"?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I would go with a faxon or larue barrel before a BCM. BCM is ok, but occasionally they seem to put out BBL's that aren't that great

Larues gas blocks are AFAIK proprietary to their barrels

I would skip the muzzle device, get an A2 and put that money towards something like a BCM MCMR.

I would skip NiB. Maybe try and find a hard chrome BCG. i think brownells makes one. Other wise phosphate is fine

Latchless charging handles can eventually wear out the upper, i would consider either saving up for a Geissele ACH or Radian Raptor. Or just use a regular old milspec one

If you are going with an SBR build, why go with a 14.5" barrel? 1.5" longer will save you a tax stamp. Why not go with a 12.5"?

The muzzle device MAY put me over the 16 inch. I have to measure. If it doesn't I can easily go down to 12. The reason I went with the BCM is the weight. enhanced light weight fluted are really good for the money when it comes to weight. I'm open to suggestions!

The latchless is because I hate the latches and I am left handed when shooting rifles. Radian Raptors are definitely on my list if I go with another style.

I just like NiB, hard chrome is not out of the question.

Post links Zack lol

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I decided I wanted to build a really good AR that is light enough for me to carry around if I needed.

Wow it got expensive quick.

Rock River BCG - 110

BCM Enhanced lightweight 16 midlength gas system 1:7 twist -270

battle comp - 150

midwest industries ssm rail - 190

mbus sights

rock river upper receiver - 75

Anderson Lower - 50

Geissele lower parts kit - 50

magpgul bad lever - 30

Geissele trigger - 165

MOE magpul grip - 20

Stock - MFT - 60

Charging handle - 25

Buffer tube kit - 25

Any suggestions on what I could do to cut this price down while still getting the weight and quality?

For a premium AR15- Noveske, Geiselle, BCM, KAC, LMT et al all day. If you spend the money on a top tier AR15 at least the weapon is worth what you paid for it dollar for dollar. If you spend a lot building your own carbine then you are already in the lost money category with what is essentially a Frankein Gun.

The best alternative was already suggested, buy a Colt and drop in a Geiselle Trigger.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Had Ground Zero Precision build me an upper a couple years ago. That Epsilon Gamma is the real deal. They used Aero parts but added some custom stuff and it was less expensive than direct from Aero.

super happy with my Faxon fluted barrel.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The muzzle device MAY put me over the 16 inch. I have to measure. If it doesn't I can easily go down to 12. The reason I went with the BCM is the weight. enhanced light weight fluted are really good for the money when it comes to weight. I'm open to suggestions!

The latchless is because I hate the latches and I am left handed when shooting rifles. Radian Raptors are definitely on my list if I go with another style.

I just like NiB, hard chrome is not out of the question.

Post links Zack lol

Latches are preferred as they will not produce extra wear on the upper. And a standard ar charging handle is already ambi, assuming you use it properly. Geissele charging handles can be found for around $50 when they go on sale

I say get this barrel from larue, https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-predatar-barrel-k/ a few oz heavier, but less of a chance of getting a dog, and you save a few bucks, and also save a few bucks on your trigger.

NiB wears quick, if you want something that'll last, hard chrome is a great choice. Most places are out of stock though.

Assuming you want to stay around your budget of 1,200 you can move some parts around that way you aren't having to settle on a chinese handguard

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Latches are preferred as they will not produce extra wear on the upper. And a standard ar charging handle is already ambi, assuming you use it properly. Geissele charging handles can be found for around $50 when they go on sale

I say get this barrel from larue, https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-predatar-barrel-k/ a few oz heavier, but less of a chance of getting a dog, and you save a few bucks, and also save a few bucks on your trigger.

NiB wears quick, if you want something that'll last, hard chrome is a great choice. Most places are out of stock though.

Assuming you want to stay around your budget of 1,200 you can move some parts around that way you aren't having to settle on a chinese handguard

Weight matters. So if it's heavier there has to be a reason. This is why I went with the BCM barrel.

everyone read this. I already BUILT a frankengun that I really like. That's why I'm building another one. I DONT WANT A SHITTY PREBUILT COLT OR LARUE FOR 3x the price of what I'm spending for LESS QUALITY. PLEASE STFU about that.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Weight matters. So if it's heavier there has to be a reason. This is why I went with the BCM barrel.

everyone read this. I already BUILT a frankengun that I really like. That's why I'm building another one. I DONT WANT A SHITTY PREBUILT COLT OR LARUE FOR 3x the price of what I'm spending for LESS QUALITY. PLEASE STFU about that.

A Colt or Larue will hold more value than any Frankengun and their quality is proven, they also come with a warranty that doesn’t exist with a Frankengun. Frankenguns are not worth half of what you put into them right out of the gate so your 3x the cost statement is way off base. There is a reason most gun dealers don’t buy-sell-trade Frankenguns- as to do so is like trying to deal in used underwear.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Mismatched upper and lower maybe equals a Frankengun. But putting performance parts on an AR adds value.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Mismatched upper and lower maybe equals a Frankengun. But putting performance parts on an AR adds value.

Value to the owner perhaps, not resale value. I’ve known quite a few really seasoned wrench turners put together garage AR15’s and sell them and never even get close to being able to recoup what they vested. I get that some people like to assemble their own tools and that is good for them, but a sound investment Frankenguns are not.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

A complete larue UU will cost at least 100 less than what you've pulled together, just saying

You are sacrificing quality for weight. Id rather gain 6oz than get potentially 4+ moa barrel. As for why its heavier, fluting (in addition to a slightly different taper profile. You cannot remove material from a barrel without it effecting harmonics. Any difference in weight can be more than made up for by getting some Ti parts from DSA or V7

Last edited:

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    People are getting more than they paid for all ARs right now.

I just did a search on GB.COM and there is a sea of rack grade AR15’s with starting bids @ $.01 and no reserve. The entry level AR15 is still really stable from previous over saturation of the market and that is reflected regionally to where I am as well. The exception are your Noveske, KAC, Geiselle, Radian, LMT, BMC’s as previously stated. Most dealers are allocated only so many and they sell at top $ On the primary and SECONDARY Markets. Order a Noveske today and you may be waiting a few months. Point being that there is a huge spread of price variations in the AR15 market with Frankenguns beings at the bottom of the ”investment“ barrel. That isn’t to say they aren’t shooters. I even have one with a really nice Douglas Barrel that will shoot 1 MOA With 77gr Mk262 Match, I couldn’t get back 30% of what I’ve put into that AR15 and it will out perform everything I own with exception of my custom bolt action sticks in the midrange precision category.

Top Bottom