• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    These aren't safes, they are RSC's (residential security containers). They are best at keeping kids away from your guns. They can be defeated easily. If you want real protection from theft and or fire you need to move up to a real safe. Considerably more expensive though and way more difficult to move. You can usually find some for sale on Craigslist from people who are moving and don't want to/can't move them.
    DK Firearms

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    On the lower end of the scale, is there much difference between a cheap gun safe and a lockable gun cabinet? Sorry to hijack the thread. I am insured, so fire and theft are covered. More concerned about grandkids

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    On the lower end of the scale, is there much difference between a cheap gun safe and a lockable gun cabinet? Sorry to hijack the thread. I am insured, so fire and theft are covered. More concerned about grandkids
    Reasonable question. I would say "no" if the grandkids are the main consideration. All you need is a door <locked> to keep them away. Heck, even a cable type lock through the breech (comes with most guns)

Theft, well, if your out of town for a week theres practically nothing two guys cant get into, including every bank vault out there.

Fire, I mentioned in an older thread Tractor Supply type safes at least have an expanding seal when exposed to high heat to protect your equipment. I suggested nesting your safe in another layer of protection such as a bedroom closet. Whole houses burn down but clothing always seem to survive.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    As others have said. To get a quality safe you have to pay $$$. Also I would not get a "safe" that is not fire rated for at least 45 minutes. I think I paid about $1500 for the one I have.

mamboloco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2019
    DFW
    Reasonable question. I would say "no" if the grandkids are the main consideration. All you need is a door <locked> to keep them away. Heck, even a cable type lock through the breech (comes with most guns)

Theft, well, if your out of town for a week theres practically nothing two guys cant get into, including every bank vault out there.

Fire, I mentioned in an older thread Tractor Supply type safes at least have an expanding seal when exposed to high heat to protect your equipment. I suggested nesting your safe in another layer of protection such as a bedroom closet. Whole houses burn down but clothing always seem to survive.

good idea. my safe is going to go into a hidden room. I could line the inside of it with thicker drywall and or a retardant.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015

Depends on the age of the grand-kids. My wife and her ex-husband when they were married, had a small safe/file cabinet with their .357 in it. Teenagers pried it open and played Russian Roulette and one died. Get something with a least a little thickness to it. Those cabinets made out of sheet metal aren't worth the money you pay for them, in my opinion. The Cannon and Liberty type of RSC's bolted down in a very confined area serve pretty well if that is all you can afford.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Mounting is important because a sawsall can get thru the back/top corners most safes in seconds to a minute with a hole big enough to remove stuff thru. Also, unmounted safes are easy to topple and get into with prybars providing there is enough room to get leverage.

Just like real estate, location location location. Remember its one step in layers of security and only buys time.

Top Bottom