• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Has anyone here ever taken advantage of Spyderco’s free knife sharpening program? Send them the knife + $5 return postage and they will sharpen it at no charge. I typically have my knife sharpened at gun shows, but the last couple of post Covid gun shows I’ve gone to were not worth the drive or cost of admission.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I was unaware of this. Thanks for sharing.

I've only very recently become a Spyderco knife lover and haven't had time yet to even think about sharpening. Have you tried sharpening yourself and found the hard steel difficult to get sharp?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I was unaware of this. Thanks for sharing.

I've only very recently become a Spyderco knife lover and haven't had time yet to even think about sharpening. Have you tried sharpening yourself and found the hard steel difficult to get sharp?
    Yes, here’s the link

I’ve sharpened my Kershaw in the past but I could never get it as good as the folks who do it all the time. The Spyderco is supposed to be a much harder blade so I’d rather have it done then spend any time myself on it only to get an 80% blade

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    In my experience, Spydercos are easy to sharpen. I use a Lanky with diamond stones on mine and can have them hair shaving sharp in under 5 minutes.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I just used the Lansky system for the first time ( I’ve had it for years, just always used stones). Sharpened two Spydercos. Haven’t shaved with them but they will damn sure slice paper.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You're not the first person I've heard this from.
    Can't open the link on my phone.
    I have stones and a Wicked Edge. I have used it on blades from 2"-2'. And it will put a wicked sharp edge on them. From 10° to 35°. The angle I use depends on the use of the blade.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx
    The work sharp is the next evolution of Lansky type kits.

Spyderco has been ok at sharpening, but I didn't mail it, I happened to be in Colorado and dropped it by. Which they're not too happy with. Never really bought another one after that one walked off. I have nothing against them in particular but the whole experience was underwhelming for the price of the blade.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Learning to sharpen a knife is a manly skill, like changing a tire, shooting a gun, hammering a nail, etc. that everyone should take the time to learn. If you honestly don't know how, or you struggle to get the edge you want, then find someone who does know and ask them to spend some time teaching you.

Let some bonehead at a gun show sharpen your knife? Expect some corporate office to give a crap about how well they take care of you (esp. if it's "free")? Flounder around with a dull blade? No, no, no.

I'm willing to bet that most people who can't get a good edge really just have a crappy knife and don't know it. A good knife is all about the steel and heat treatment. Some steels won't hold an edge. Some steels are extremely difficult to sharpen (but hold an edge for a long, long time).

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I was taught by my Dad. I now have his stones, and my Grandfathers stones. It ain't that hard!
    Only knife that was a BITCH to sharpen, was a '45 K-Bar that we had on the Submarine. That one took an entire 12 hour shift. BUT- it got DAMN sharp! Would shave the hair off your arm!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I enjoy sharpening my own. I would enjoy showing any of you how to. You don’t need jigs and machines but it’s definitely slow.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’ve

got a set of stones but I’ve just never gotten a good edge
    Regardless of the tools used, it’s important to work backwards and uniformly. Never go forward on the blade. I was shown how to sharpen clam shell geometry on swords and changed how I work my knives.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Regardless of the tools used, it’s important to work backwards and uniformly. Never go forward on the blade. I was shown how to sharpen clam shell geometry on swords and changed how I work my knives.
    Bit confused ( not unusual I am told).....do you draw the blade across the stone in a front to back motion or from back to front? Thanks

Top Bottom