Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I agree with DubiousDan when it comes to normal, everyday use. However, you haven't specified the circumstances.

If you're going to carry concealed, maybe speed strips are better for you.

If you're interested in ICORE competition, there are "boutique" speed loaders that are functional art.

A word on the sort of environment in which you intend to use them would help a lot in making a recommendation.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    For range use I like the SpeedBeez.

For carrying I prefer the HKS or 5-Star. I feel they hold the rounds more securely.
    You don’t want rounds coming loose in the pocket.

I have the worst luck with speed strips.

The Safariland loaders are nice but they only make them for a couple of models.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I prefer Safariland because they are spring loaded and all you have to do is push them in while pressing the top. HKS are good but with them you have to twist the knob after inserting the rounds into the cylinder.

Try both to see which suits you.
    This.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    When I carried a revolver on duty, dating myself, I used Safariland due to speed and simplicity.

When I carried off duty, not in a decent speedloader pouch I used HKS because they are a tad more secure.

Later when I pocket carried, concealed carried, I used speed strips in the pocket or later in a speed strip pouch due to the bulk of speed loaders.

Funny how such things are situational.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    When I carried a revolver on duty, dating myself, I used Safariland due to speed and simplicity.

When I carried off duty, not in a decent speedloader pouch I used HKS because they are a tad more secure.

Later when I pocket carried, concealed carried, I used speed strips in the pocket or later in a speed strip pouch due to the bulk of speed loaders.

Funny how such things are situational.
    i got tired of fucking about with speed strips and speed loaders and shit and just got a pocket sized automatic tbh.

Bamban

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Anderson Mill Area
    i got tired of fucking about with speed strips and speed loaders and shit and just got a pocket sized automatic tbh.

Interesting evolution.

I haven't found a pocket size semi auto in 357 Magnum..... cheers...

357 SIG is close. Still love my SP101 3 inch, pocket carry. Hope I don't wear it out shooting factory full power 125 grainers as I go through 3 reloads with HKS speed loaders every session.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Interesting evolution.

357 SIG is close. Still love my SP101 3 inch, pocket carry. Hope I don't wear it out shooting factory full power 125 grainers as I go through 3 reloads with HKS speed loaders every session.
    9mm +P does the job well enough tbh.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Interesting evolution.

At 20 rounds a session your grandson might wear it out.:usflag:

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    ok, so got couple of the hks and couple of the comp II for my smith 19, the hks locks them down easily, have yet to get the comp to lock the cartridges in. this is my fun gun right now, 6 inch nickel.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I make and sell loading blocks for speed loaders, and have to say that HKS speed loaders seem to outsell everything else by a very large factor. I sell way more blocks for them than Speed Beez or 5 Star put together.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I have been using HKS for over 35 years. Retraining to use another brand would take a while due to years of muscle memory. I like the ideal of some other brands but if you drop them the rounds can get released, now you are hunting rounds to reload under stress, not good.

Top Bottom