• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Down home cooking. Southern cuisine. I grew up eating southern style cooking. Many times the dishes or recipes were fairly simple, but oh so good! Many times my grandmother used very little in the way of seasonings when she cooked, but used other things to bring out the natural good flavors of food. Bacon drippings, lard, butter, (real butter!) salt pork, or fat back was used to cook with. Most of her recipes were cooked from scratch, never from a box or can!

Some of my favorites were, pinto beans with skillet cornbread, some sweet onion, soft fried potatoes, and pan fried pork chops. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and biscuits. Chicken fried steak,country gravy, soft fried potatoes, home made bread and green beans.

Tabasco sauce, pepper sauce were staple condiments on the table along with the salt and pepper. Granny served cantaloupe with just about every meal when they were in season. Cucumbers, sliced and soaked in vinegar was regularly see ed as well. Green onions and banana peppers were served quite a bit as well.

Fried chicken was a normal Sunday meal, as well as a huge pot roast, loaded with potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms. Sometimes, Saturdays during the summer meant fresh fried catfish, hush puppies, and french fries. Also we did hamburgers and hot dogs as well outside during the summer months.

Breakfast at my Granny's house was great. She cooked the eggs in the skillet, after cooking the bacon. Huge home made biscuits, gravy, and sausage. Sometimes we even had pork chops, or steak with breakfast, along with hash browns cooked with lots of onions. My brother and I would take a couple of leftover biscuits, load them up with a sausage patty and egg, wrap them in wax paper, and eat them for a late morning snack!

I was fortunate, to learn quite a bit about cooking from my Granny. Over the last ten years or so, I have gone back to the ways of my grandmother. I cook much more from scratch, and gone back to many of the same ingredients she used to cook with. And the food just seems to taste better!
    Lynx Defense

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I was raised by my mom's parents. My grandmother was an Oklahoma transplant, my grandfather was from SW Missouri (a hot fart from Oklahoma's border) - we ate similarly well until my grandma retired.

I never understood it - when she worked, she made breakfast every morning she was home, and she made dinner every night. Always from scratch. Baking powder biscuits, corn bread. Never ate canned spaghetti sauce until the mid 90's.

Then she retired and we started buying a lot of pre-packaged crap, ready made sauces, biscuits from the tube. I at least learned some cooking techniques from her, and learned to cook on my own. My grandmother used salt, pepper, and occasionally garlic powder or chili powder for seasoning. We had a 5lb coffee can on the stove full of bacon grease, and a tub of Crisco for deep frying.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Mamaw fried everything. Fried catfish (learned to hunt the bones with my tongue), quail (hunt the bird shot same as the catfish bones) chicken fried steaks (beef, deer, pork) tenderized with that hammer tenderizer. I can still hear her beating on that meat preparing lunch while we worked out In the shop. all vegetables were fried as well, damn that fried chicken was really special. I also recall the cucumbers in vinegar, fresh tomatoes sliced with salt & pepper but she also fried green tomatoes as well. Great memories.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mamaw fried everything. Fried catfish (learned to hunt the bones with my tongue), quail (hunt the bird shot same as the catfish bones) chicken fried steaks (beef, deer, pork) tenderized with that hammer tenderizer. I can still hear her beating on that meat preparing lunch while we worked out In the shop. all vegetables were fried as well, damn that fried chicken was really special. I also recall the cucumbers in vinegar, fresh tomatoes sliced with salt & pepper but she also fried green tomatoes as well. Great memories.

Your Mamaw sounds like my Granny!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Oh the memories! My family ate like that every day for years.
    Mmmmmmmm
    They are all dead from heart disease. But enjoyed their food.
    Same here. Watching them die of strokes and heart attacks was no fun.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My dad's mom was an excellent cook. Her Strawberry Rhubarb pies still have never met their match. Big Garden lots of fresh & organic. She might have been a bit of a health nut, but never pushed her belief on others. Dad's step father was a Swede & I was the only person who would sit down & eat Swedish foods with him. I would even eat some putrified fish that we had to eat outside.

Mom's mom worked until they forced her well into her 80's. She cooked very little & preferred liquid bread. Breakfast was her stand out meal. She ate breakfast every morning before heading out to catch the bus for work. Oscar Mayer Little sausage links, eggs then with fried potatoes or waffles. She fried a pork chop or cubed steak with more fried potatoes, but for the most part it was Schlitz & fig bar. The teeth came out once she got home & soft food was it.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I was raised by my mom's parents. My grandmother was an Oklahoma transplant, my grandfather was from SW Missouri (a hot fart from Oklahoma's border) - we ate similarly well until my grandma retired.

I never understood it - when she worked, she made breakfast every morning she was home, and she made dinner every night. Always from scratch. Baking powder biscuits, corn bread. Never ate canned spaghetti sauce until the mid 90's.

Then she retired and we started buying a lot of pre-packaged crap, ready made sauces, biscuits from the tube. I at least learned some cooking techniques from her, and learned to cook on my own. My grandmother used salt, pepper, and occasionally garlic powder or chili powder for seasoning. We had a 5lb coffee can on the stove full of bacon grease, and a tub of Crisco for deep frying.
    This all sounds just like my grandma. From Ardmore, OK and my grandpa was from SW Missouri (Monet/Cassville area) as well. I wish growing up that I had lived closer to her, she was about 3 hrs drive north. My one cousin did live closes and learned all the cooking and how to put up all the jars of various fruits and veggies (my favorite was her dilly beans).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom