• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    There were several TGT members in attendance this past weekend at SonnyP's incredible AK Gunfighting seminar. High energy, incredible depth of knowledge, phenomenal skill, epic humility: these are just a few of the things that make SonnyP an awesome instructor.

Sixth seminar I've done with Sonny, best one yet. Some of my thoughts:

-What if the fundamentals of marksmanship aren't fundamental to gunfighting? Does the way we train look like the way we fight? It should.

-Fill the gaps. We die during the pauses in a gunfight. A gunfight is not just drawing+shooting+reloading+moving, the sum is greater than the parts combined, so we need to train more than just a string of skill drills.

-Strong side is a weakness. The sooner you start training both sides equally the better.

-Gunfight reality is not compatible with square range mentality.

Here's some pics:
    dsc0093r.jpg

dsc0349yd.jpg

dsc0517v.jpg

dsc0527ib.jpg
    Target Sports

JohnH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Hewitt
    I'll make this short since I'm at work and the City's internet police may get me. Longer review this afternoon.

This was not a how to shoot an AK class, it was a how to fight with an AK class. There is a difference. Be in shape. If your idea of working out is walking from the recliner to the refigerator, you need to change your lifestyle. Do the techniques you train make sense or do you train them because it looks cool?

If you want to learn how to fight in a 360 degree hostile environment, take this class!

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    Exceptional learning experience with an exceptional teacher. Thanks to SteveM/CenTex Combatives Training Group for putting this together.

Still processing all of it, but a few things stood out for me.

Conditioning: thought I was in good condition, now I know there's miles to go, and the road never ends.

Filling in the "gaps": As Sonny says, "The Devil is in the Details, the gaps are where you die". Work em.

360 degree environment: not just being aware of everything around you, but training to engage everything around you without that little hitch that comes from the square range.

Efficiency: analyze everthing you do, can you save time? Does it make sense? Seek to constantly improve.

"Why the **** not?": question everything.

CTCTG rocks!

JohnH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Hewitt
    Nice to see and train with you again JR.

Things I learned(and remember so far)...don't be attached to your rifle, think 360 in a gunfight not the 180 or less we have to train when at the range, don't be in love with your equipment, think outside of the box when your life(and not the range officers) is on the line, train to be proficient with your off side, don't fight your rifle, instead let it do what it does best and work the gaps.

Still remembering the flood of information I received over those 2 days. Yep JR...CTCTG rocks!

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    Nice to see and train with you again JR.

Things I learned(and remember so far)...don't be attached to your rifle, think 360 in a gunfight not the 180 or less we have to train when at the range, don't be in love with your equipment, think outside of the box when your life(and not the range officers) is on the line, train to be proficient with your off side, don't fight your rifle, instead let it do what it does best and work the gaps.

Still remembering the flood of information I received over those 2 days. Yep JR...CTCTG rocks!

John great to train with you again. I'm looking forward to next weekend with Sonny as well.

Be safe Brother.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Details about future training ops?

Here's a quick rundown:

Weekly Knife-Stick-Pistol Combatives:Austin M-W-Sa and Killeen Tu-Thu

May 7-8 Sonny Puzikas Spetsnaz AK Gunfighting (Encore Performance), Liberty Hill SOLD OUT

June 18 Force-on-Force Gunfighting Clinic, Liberty Hill 3 SPOTS LEFT

Aug 6-7 & 8 Mark Human AMOK! Pistol Combat, Austin & Liberty Hill, 7 SPOTS LEFT

Sep 10 2nd Annual "9/11" Meetup, Liberty Hill

November 5-6 Tom Sotis AMOK! Knifefighting Seminar, Austin

Come out and train with us!

FrankDude72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sonny put on a badass, enjoyable, shatter the conventional gunfighting mental boundaries class yet again.

There was a lot of 2-man interactive drills in this class as well, something much more difficult to recreate outside the bounds of a structured class.

For those who missed out on these classes, keep your noses in the air and sign up early to the next ones that become available.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    Sonny put on a badass, enjoyable, shatter the conventional gunfighting mental boundaries class yet again.

There was a lot of 2-man interactive drills in this class as well, something much more difficult to recreate outside the bounds of a structured class.

For those who missed out on these classes, keep your noses in the air and sign up early to the next ones that become available.

Here ya go Frank, you and me on a team drill.

75034269.jpg

JohnH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Hewitt
    It's always nice to visit and train with you JR and Frank. Looking forward to the Force on Force next month.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    Another exceptional training right on the heels of last weekend.

A lot of solid dry work which all fell into place as we began to execute drills. There was a strong focus on conditioning and efficiency of movement. You guys last weekend got off easy on the PT.

Once we had smoothed out our transitions, movement and displacement a bit, Sonny allowed us to explore on our own in a 360 degree manner and practice a few other things outside the box. I found that part of the training invaluable, and as classmate said, "freeing".

We didn't have the big temperature drop like last weekend, but we enjoyed some nice, mild, Central Texas weather.

A big thanks to Steve M and CTCTG for bringing some badass training to our area. Great stuff bro.

bb4f2cf7.jpg

057ea420.jpg

bb061927.jpg

b58603a6.jpg

JohnH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Hewitt
    I wish that I could have attended the second weekend, I would have in a heartbeat. I hope that Sonny will come back.

Top Bottom