• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I'm tired of having to clean the dust out of the inside of the cases. I looked at the reviews for the top name sonic cleaners and it looks like they may be more trouble than their worth.
    Anyone have one they love? Hate? Why?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    they are good for heavier parts, but anything with thin walls or made out of aluminum might get chewed up.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve got a 6L version with temp control and timer. I like it. The only negative I have is that I don’t have a dedicated room to keep it set up, so I have to pack it and put away when done

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I have a Lyman TS2500. It cleans the outside very well. Not as good on the inside. On big cases, 45-70 and 50-70, I end up running a brush through them to get break up the chunky shit, then the ultrasonic, with RCBS ultrasonic cleaner. You have to flush them with hot water when you are done, and you must use deionized or distilled water or your cases turn all sorts of funky colors. I still run them in a vibrator with corn cobb to get them " done". I am not sure its worth it, but I have the time and I like my cases looking better than new.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I have one, and although I like it for cleaning guns, I don’t use it for brass. I normally dry tumble and have found that easier. I hoped the ultrasonic would get as nice and shiny as wet tumbling but it didn’t, at least with the shorter cycles, and i still had to mess with drying the cases. I’ve never cleaned the inside of the cases after dry tumbling.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Oh and don’t put the new zinc pennies in them. Did that just fooling around and it pretty much ate them up.

Careful with putting more than one loose item in the tank. They could vibrate together and take the finish off. Also, fill the tank with clean water then put what you are cleaning inti a ziplock bag with water and cleaning solution. Makes cleanup a snap

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Well it looks like for brass, I'll probably stay with the dry vibratory cleaner. Now, I've been using walnut for years. But it really makes a mess inside the case. Is corn cob cleaner any better? Or the stainless steel pins and soapy water?

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Well it looks like for brass, I'll probably stay with the dry vibratory cleaner. Now, I've been using walnut for years. But it really makes a mess inside the case. Is corn cob cleaner any better? Or the stainless steel pins and soapy water?

Yes it leaves little to no residue. But it is not as aggressive. Corn cob works better for me as a final cleaner and polisher. If the cases are oxidized or really nasty I start with treated walnut, or the ultrasonic, then they go in the corn cob, I have two vibratory, and the ultrasonic right now. I have not tried the SS pins but I have seen the results from friends, and I am thinking I need to try it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

I used walnut when I started reloading but have switch to corn cob as it is cleaner.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Most the time I have been buying it in bulk at the gun show, untreated. I did buy a box of RCBS once when I could not find a corn cob guy at the show. I put a cap full of lyman booster ( its just polish) cleaner in it and it works fine for about 500 to 600 cases. Then I put in another cap full of booster and get another 500 to 600 cases before it quits cleaning.
    Now these cases are already pre-cleaned in the ultrasonic or walnut so its not working as hard a tossing in right from the range.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Wet tumbling with steel pins or ship media will by far get brass the cleanest AND shiniest including primer pockets and inside the case.

There’s varying opinions on whether the media dings and possibly even peens the brass changing hardness but that’s all subjective IMO.

My main beef with the SS media is that it gets stuck inside the cases a lot, especially on 6.5mm and smaller.

If your main objective is to clean the brass, ultrasonic will work. If you also want them shiny them wet tumbling is the best choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Walnut is garbage. Definitely corncob. No dust at all.

Cheap stuff is fine. I prefer untreated and add my own polish. Usually cheap stuff too.

If you really want your cases clean let it run overnight. Add torn up paper towels or used dryer sheets to absorb all the grit and keep your medai clean.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've used both corncob and walnut interchangeably for over decade and I don't bother to clean the dust anymore. I've never seen a change in SD of FPS so I just let the powder blow the dust out.

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    I use the coarse corn cob media I get in bulk from Harbor Freight. I add about two tablespoons of Frankfort arsenal brass polish to the media and tumble for 30 min to coat the media before adding the brass. Usually polishes the cases within 2 hours and no residue.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've used both corncob and walnut interchangeably for over decade and I don't bother to clean the dust anymore. I've never seen a change in SD of FPS so I just let the powder blow the dust out.
    This is precisely my experience.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I've used the Hornady and HF US, changed to wet pins that works much better. Once dried the pins fall out of the cases.

Top Bottom