• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Okay, just to say I prepped for the usual weather here in Texas, just not a sustained freeze like this. I had the usual items, plenty of food, warm clothing, blankets, sleeping bags if needed, a limited amount of batteries, propane canisters for Coleman lanterns with extra mantles and several gallons of white gas for the older style. I have not run short of any items at this point, but I have come up with some additional make do ideas. I use backup ups devices on my electronics, and I have been slacking on rebuilding several that I have around the house, I just bought some new ones. So I will be replacing battery packs in these units, and use them to run low power LED lighting, and add additional battery life to the Mi-Fi device. The largest unit I have to rebuild is a Tripp-Lite Model SU3000XL 2400W , this one when in "new" condition would run my PC with 6 10K RPM drives, 4 monitors, audio sub-system and a few other things for almost 2.5 hrs. A replacement battery pack is about $170, versus $1200 for a new unit. This should provide a long run-time for low energy lighting.

I do have a small 6500W Generac also as back-up, I have had no real reason to use this yet, it is mainly kept for summer issues to run the fridge and freezer, now if need be I can just set stuff outside. I also need to replenish my kerosene supply for my back-up heater, I just let that one lapse also.
    Texas SOT

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    When power returned (rolling outages) ordered replacement UPS batteries, extra AA and D's as well as some extra mantles for the gas lanterns.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I also need to replenish my kerosene supply for my back-up heater, I just let that one lapse also.

Kerosene is some spendy stuff!! Not bad if only for emergencies.

We use oil lamps when the power is out.

I looked into converting my tophat kerosene heater (Duraheat), that I used in elk camp, to #2 diesel and it was kinda confusing. Apparently running diesel in it w/o conversion gums up the wick.

ed4a6470-ed59-4ba0-a225-bedff7d4f990_1.d8989179e98972e760ebb2c3fd7e0d51.jpeg

It's a stinky sumbitch. I also have some of the dish type radiant heaters, but for da house I prefer the 5 block Mr. Heater 30,000btu ceramic propane heater (with fan and thermostat). That thing will drive me right out when used with generator or inverter to power the fan!!!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I used a similar kerosene (top photo) heater for deer camp, it may have a bit of an odor, but it will heat up 1000 sf with no issue. Close some doors, and I can keep enough living area comfortable.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    And if you have some holes in your prepping, I am looking at the Grand Canyon. If a buddy had not lent us his portable propane heater, we'd of been frozen out by the blackouts. I just filled three tanks and that should last us until it FINALLY warms up in this "hot" state.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Just talked to a friend that does trucking. The Meat industries are all shut down and loads of animals* are dying off from the freeze en route. As well, truckers are having 'gelled' Diesel at the pumps and the Gas stations are turning the trucks away. May want to stock up on meat and food for a minimum of a couple of weeks until things taper back.

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Just talked to a trucking friend. The Meat industries are all shut down and loads of meat are dying off from the freeze en route. As well, truckers are having 'gelled' Diesel at the pumps and the Gas stations are turning the trucks away. May want to stock up on meat and food for a minimum of a couple of weeks until things taper back.
    Great. Ugh.

I think the lesson here is be prepared. These hot wash threads are good.

The last 12 months have showed us how close our lifestyle is to falling apart. A few days without delivery & things are screwed for weeks/months.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just talked to a trucking friend. The Meat industries are all shut down and loads of meat are dying off from the freeze en route. As well, truckers are having 'gelled' Diesel at the pumps and the Gas stations are turning the trucks away. May want to stock up on meat and food for a minimum of a couple of weeks until things taper back.

Yep, my work truck went down yesterday 4 miles after filling up at a truck stop. Figured the truck stop would be a better bet for good fuel but it wasn’t.

Didn’t gel in my tank, I’d been putting anti gel additive in it since last Thursday and dosing it for sub zero temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    /
    Gelled) diesel fuel? Do you mean because of the cold diesel turns into a gell and that would cause gas stations to turn away trucks? If so, one has to wonder how it is they sell diesel fuel in states like Alaska, Idaho, Montana, New York (the northern parts of which get extremely cold), North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and so on during the cold months.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    /
    Gelled) diesel fuel? Do you mean because of the cold diesel turns into a gell and that would cause gas stations to turn away trucks? If so, one has to wonder how it is they sell diesel fuel in states like Alaska, Idaho, Montana, New York (the northern parts of which get extremely cold), North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and so on during the cold months.

Many of those states, start treating the fuel at the tanks the start of winter. Plus they order a winter grade fuel at the start of winter. Typically, we very seldom see temperatures like we have seen this week, so most places don't normally order winter grade fuel or treat their fuel to prevent gelling.

We typically aren't using engine block heaters as well.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Reposting a response:

"Well first anyone that thinks meat is all good because it is frozen and thus preserved is a retard and not thinking big picture. They are forgetting a few critical steps in the process such as live animals in stockyards and live animals being transported to the slaughterhouse before it becomes packaged meat for sale. Basically, they are forgetting their nuggets and bacon were once live animals before they were packaged. The issues are as follows: - freezing conditions in stockyards, limited resources to keep livestock warm, freezing water, etc. - animals freezing during transportation and while livestock haulers wait at inbound to slaughterhouses. If anyone has ever paid attention to the open-air cages/crates chickens are transported in on trucks they will start to see the issue here. Same with cattle hauler trailers. With great distances to travel before the livestock reaches the slaughterhouse animals are dying. This becomes problematic as downed livestock is not allowed to be used for human consumption. So when you have truckloads of dead animals arriving at slaughterhouses you now have a limited supply going to the stores. - slaughterhouses are prioritizing taking livestock in and limiting shipments out as their efforts are better suited to trying to slaughter before the animals freeze to death. - meat processing plants already struggling with staffing restrictions due to covid are now also struggling with employees being able to come in due to extreme weather conditions. - on the trucking side, we are struggling to get to these customers. We are fighting like hell to get to the customers under extremely dangerous conditions, getting stuck in highway shutdowns, running into limited fuel due to fuel pumps freezing, tankers being unable to reach truck stops, you name it. We are totally f$&ked out here and doing our best. - additionally, it’s not just meat that is an issue... factories of “cola” products, juices, produce, you name it is shutting down to safety concerns for their employees. So even when we fight through blizzards and everything to get to a location for a load there is no guarantee the customer is even open. As I said, people need to think very big picture. I could go on and on but this should be enough to get people understanding the issue better. *added* One more thing, even once we get control of this situation weather wise transportation rates are about to skyrocket due to fewer products, fewer drivers to move said products, rising fuel costs, etc. This was already an issue thanks to covid and we still had not fully caught up... now add this? We are in for empty/limited shelves again. It’s a supply and demand crisis on steroids... worst part is we already know everyone is going to start hoarding even worse because the new American way is “f$&k your neighbors.”

Top Bottom