3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I am curious how many people will go to prison over these. Just installing that adapter with a filter, the way I read the law, is not legal.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think the ones that are made for suppressor use had a flange that covers the holes in the oil filter.

You probably have a good defense to prosecution up until the point you drill a hole in the other end of the filter.

Below are some designed for use as suppressors.

7272779258_d912bfc769_b.png

Last edited:

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    No, they have suppressors that look just like that. I could see you getting in some deep shit for being in possession of one of those.

I think the ones that are made for suppressor use had a flange that covers the holes in the oil filter.

You probably have a good defense to prosecution up until the point you drill a hole in the other end of the filter.

Below are some designed for use as suppressors.

Thats exactly why I believe these "solvent traps" are more like "felony traps". If you use the product as intended you are manufacturing an unlicensed silencer. Case and point being the Econocan.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    It's a felony after the fact, Anything that reduces a gun shot more than a decibel is considered a silencer. Shady dealers are selling these things to people on false pretenses saying that they are legal to use on firearms without any paperwork.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It's a felony after the fact, Anything that reduces a gun shot more than a decibel is considered a silencer. Shady dealers are selling these things to people on false pretenses saying that they are legal to use on firearms without any paperwork.

Ok, explain to me what false pretenses are being used in the op's link to the product on Amazon?

It is being sold as a solvent trap. There is nothing saying anything about firing the gun. There is no mention about drilling a hole to make it a suppressor.

Even if this POS was illegally modified to be used as a suppressor, it would last 1 round as the little nylon tipped lock screw would not hold it on the barrel and the gas would blow it off, and would get a lot of blow back into the shooters face from the filter holes not being covered up. If they were trying to make a product that could easily be modified into a suppressor, this is not the way to go, look to the Econo-can for that. That product they do sell for that purpose, this one they don't.

That plastic Tipton device above would be better suited for a .22 suppressor that the one posted above..........for a shot or so.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It's funny because we all full well know what the intent is. It's just like how owning the equipment to decrypt DirecTV transmissions is not illegal - but using them for that purpose is. Nobody would actually use this setup as a solvent trap, and that's the joke.

Now I'm not saying I'm buying one (cuz I'm not) but I did laugh like hell when I stumbled across it listed as a 'solvent trap.'

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    The ATF doesn't give a rats ass what it's called, what it's being sold as, or how long it lasts if they see you with all 3 items displayed its going to be a bad day.

As for false pretenses it clearly shows a gun barrel stuck inside the fitting with an oil filter on the other end of the fitting. There is only one reason why you put something like this on a gun and its not to catch solvent.

Constructive intent is a shitty reason to go to jail.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not sure on whether constructive possession applies to silencers, but I think it does. Wouldn't want to have one of these around in case the feds showed up.

As for the plastic ones.. the water bottle model would only work on a .22 (even 9mm rifles will blow the bottle apart on the first shot), and the one below that looks too flimsy to work on even .22.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The ATF doesn't give a rats ass what it's called, what it's being sold as, or how long it lasts if they see you with all 3 items displayed its going to be a bad day.

As for false pretenses it clearly shows a gun barrel stuck inside the fitting with an oil filter on the other end of the fitting. There is only one reason why you put something like this on a gun and its not to catch solvent.

Constructive intent is a shitty reason to go to jail.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

There is one obvious reason, what it is being sold for as for the other two items I have posted pictures of. It is set up to show how it is to be legally used for its stated and deigned purpose, nothing illegal about that.

Anybody that has a little bit of knowledge about how suppressors work will quickly understand that this is not a viable option. Look at what suppressors are not supposed to do, one is come off the barrel when fired. There is no way that firing that device without first illegally modifying the filter will allow it to stay on the gun, the nylon set screw is just strong enough for it to function for it's designed and stated purpose. The second thing a suppressor is not supposed to do is harm the individual shooting it. Any knowledge of how they work and you will see that the gasses would be directed back into the shooters eyes if they fired a gun attached to this device, even if they illegally drilled a hole in the end. It's obvious to me that you can't recognize these simple things, so I will let you have the last word. Until we have an agent or see some paperwork from their technical branch that further enhances this conversation I am out.

edited to add:

You will notice in the letter below that you must intend to make a silencer. Mere possession is not a crime. Simply putting it together for what it is designed to do is not a crime. Now if you drill a hole and intend to make it a suppressor you can be in trouble. Other wise that bottle of soda in your refrigerator is just as much a part of a future illegal suppressor if you intend to make it so as this device is.

They gotta prove you are guilty.................key component.

Eh4Pe.jpg

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I wouldn't trust the "intent matters" thing. Too many people have been popped for constructive possession regarding other NFA stuff where no clear intent can be shown.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I used to think these things would be pretty shitty silencers, too, until I saw a video on youtube of a dude using one compared to a "Legitimate" silencer. The results were surprising.

Your odds of getting popped for owning one of these is probably less than the odds of winning the lottery as long as you aren't a dumbass.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    As for the plastic ones.. the water bottle model would only work on a .22 (even 9mm rifles will blow the bottle apart on the first shot), and the one below that looks too flimsy to work on even .22.

The problem with the first one is the center of the bottle is directly in line with the bore. This usually busts a big hole in the bottom of the bottle since plastic in that area is thicker. It's much better to shoot the thinner plastic surrounding that area; makes a nicer hole. Or so I've been told by a properly licensed professional.

TX-XD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Austin
    You will notice in the letter below that you must intend to make a silencer. Mere possession is not a crime. Simply putting it together for what it is designed to do is not a crime. Now if you drill a hole and intend to make it a suppressor you can be in trouble. Other wise that bottle of soda in your refrigerator is just as much a part of a future illegal suppressor if you intend to make it so as this device is.

They gotta prove you are guilty.................key component.

Remember that letters like this are only valid for the recipient. The have no validity for
    anyone else.

And while you must be proven guilty, does anyone here have the $$$ or willingness to give
    up their rights to test it.

Top Bottom