• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFThorp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Looking for off grid recommendations for something as simple as a lighting system for a container...up to a a system that could run lights, refrigerator, fan, etc.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You'll have to be more specific on what you need, and want to run. Also whether you're tolerant of running out of power or not. Once you know your load, you can start to size and spec a system. But the basic components are pretty much the same; panels, inverter/charge controller, and battery bank.

You'll need to add up your peak wattage demand, and then project your average demand. If you need to rely on power being there, size up your battery bank to cover however many days of low/no sun conditions.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I just bought a Pecron E2000LFP solar "generator" kit. 1920 Watts rated power with 800 Watts of panels to charge the unit. Will run a fridge, lights and stuff like laptops, etc. - very portable and super easy to setup and use. $3000. Not cheap but it's got a lithium iron phosphate battery - which is the schitz for these units. Check out youtube for reviews - City Prepping is a good channel. You can buy the E2000LFP alone for $1900 and get standard panels to use to charge it. The ones I have coming are the folding, portable type. I have the generator but the panels and extra long charging cable kit hasn't arrived yet. I have to say, the generator charged from a wall plug in a few hours - started with 35%. The City Prepping channel has a solar calculator that you can download to help you determine how much of a unit you need. Also check out DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse channel on youtube - the kid that runs that channel is brilliant.

I like this E2000 unit because it is easily expandable by adding up to two more battery units to max out around 8000 KW.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    One thing is if you're planning this out to stay off grid..use as much 12 volt lights and appliances as you can so they are powered directly and don't have to have an inverter. Your system is 12 volt DC so make your refrigerator 12 volt DC if you can...much more efficient

Top Bottom