• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If it happens, we need to get licensed open carry and unrestricted campus concealed carry on the call.
    We Expect A Special Session and Need Your Help

Once again, TSRA members, we need your help.

Contact Governor Perry!

The Texas Legislature gavels to a close on regular session on May 27th and Governor Perry is expected to call a special session. It may begin immediately. Special sessions are called by the Governor when the business of running the state has not been completed. We consider this urgent business.

We need Concealed Carry on Campus to be added to the "call".

This issue has been fully vetted by both the House and the Senate over the past three legislative sessions. It has passed out of every committee hearing and passed in both chambers, House and Senate.

This session the issue was halted by a Democratic Caucus block in the Senate after the bill passed in the Texas House.

In order to bring any legislation to the Senate floor for discussion or debate, Senate rules require a 2/3s vote. With 31 State Senators, this means 21 must agree by vote to hear the legislation. Bills then pass or fail by a simple majority. There are 19 Republicans. Two Democratic Senators stopped the process.

This was not a disagreement on public safety.

The resistance was wholly political in nature. Members of the state party testified in committee that stopping this issue was a priority in their state platform. The Senate Democrats responded to their party.

In House and Senate committees, students, returning from military service in combat zones, testified to their disappointment at having protected the country only to return to college and not be allowed to protect themselves. Remember a licensee must be 21 years old, submit to a finger print background check, pass the DPS-written course of material and shoot the prescribed course of fire.

Why would this issue pass in a Special Session?

There is no 2/3s rule during a Special Session.

Students for Conceal Carry on Campus is a national association which evolved out of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. They've done their job, we need to complete ours.

Please contact Governor Perry and politely urge our Governor to add personal protection on college and university campuses to the "Call".

Contact The Governor Link
    Hurley's Gold

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I read that email. The 2/3 rule actually worries me. What crap will the Dems force down our throats now that they couldn't do before?

Douva

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    I read that email. The 2/3 rule actually worries me. What crap will the Dems force down our throats now that they couldn't do before?

You do realize that majority rule would still apply--right? There are only 12 Senate Democrats (versus 19 Republicans).

EDITED TO ADD: Also, a special session can only address the subjects included in the governor's call.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    You do realize that majority rule would still apply--right? There are only 12 Senate Democrats (versus 19 Republicans).

EDITED TO ADD: Also, a special session can only address the subjects included in the governor's call.

Yep. If Perry don't like it, it don't get on the roll.

skeath

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    McKinney
    I followed the link, and submitted this today:

In the event there is a Special Session, please include the bill to allow college students 21 or above with a Texas CHL to carry on campus. Many of these are veterans, and would be valuable first responders in the event of a VA Tech type of incident. This bill has passed all committees and both houses, and just needs an up-or-down vote. And no, at 67, I am not a college student.

I did not mention Open Carry, but others should. Everyone on this board should do this today. It's free, it's a last chance, and we need to make some progress this session to set up real progress next session.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I followed the link, and submitted this today:

In the event there is a Special Session, please include the bill to allow college students 21 or above with a Texas CHL to carry on campus. Many of these are veterans, and would be valuable first responders in the event of a VA Tech type of incident. This bill has passed all committees and both houses, and just needs an up-or-down vote. And no, at 67, I am not a college student.

I did not mention Open Carry, but others should. Everyone on this board should do this today. It's free, it's a last chance, and we need to make some progress this session to set up real progress next session.
    did you really say with a texas chl

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

You have it backwards. In special session, it is like the Democrats don't exist.

If Governor Perry tells them to vote for College carry, we will get College carry.

phd2b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Ok, sent a message to the Gov...

BUT, is it really worth getting our hopes up?

In September 2010, in response to the AK-47 incident at UT Austin:

"There are already guns on campus. All too often they are illegal," Republican Gov. Rick Perry said. "I want there to be legal guns on campus. I think it makes sense — and all of the data supports — that if law abiding, well-trained, backgrounded individuals have a weapon, then there will be less crime." (Texas debates concealed weapons on campus - US news - Life | NBC News)

YET, didn't campus carry just barely miss making it in 2011? Wasn't there also a special session in 2011? Couldn't Gov. Perry have added Campus Carry to the special session in 2011? Did he? Why not?!

Why should we expect anything different from him in 2013?

I'm all for trying, but have to wonder if he really is as pro 2A and Campus Carry as he claims to be...

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Recall> @BarackObama asked us to "do something" so >> #SpecialSession on #GunSafety type bills not reached #CampusCarry etc #TxLege #TxSen

Sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it

He was ridiculed for mandating a shot to prevent cancer.

Now, he'd just be complying with Obama's wishes to "do something" about school safety ... the crippled too narrow School Marshals bill is a start ... more can be done, like not forcing me to disarm and toss a loose Glock under a car seat in the High school parking lot when picking up a niece at the nurse's office ... and hope a car burglar doesn't steal my Glock from a vehicle .... again (No one ever snatched anything safely concealed in my pants...)

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    recall> @barackobama asked us to "do something" so >> #specialsession on #gunsafety type bills not reached #campuscarry etc #txlege #txsen

sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it

he was ridiculed for mandating a shot for preteen girls to prevent an std .

now, he'd just be complying with obama's wishes to "do something" about school safety ... The crippled too narrow school marshals bill is a start ... More can be done, like not forcing me to disarm and toss a loose glock under a car seat in the high school parking lot when picking up a niece at the nurse's office ... And hope a car burglar doesn't steal my glock from a vehicle .... again (no one ever snatched anything safely concealed in my pants...)

fify.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    YET, didn't campus carry just barely miss making it in 2011? Wasn't there also a special session in 2011? Couldn't Gov. Perry have added Campus Carry to the special session in 2011? Did he? Why not?!

Because he is an empty shirt. We need a Governor with balls.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Really, I doubt abbot would run as third party and I don't think perry would either so it probably would be a non issue. I think Abbot would be more of a do'er.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    We really need to concentrate on getting rid of Dewhurst. That's where the power rest

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom