Target Sports

So My Son Has His Sights Set On A Remington 700...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    ...in 308, to give himself a good hunting rifle. While I cannot find fault with his potential choice because, after all, it will be his decision, I have tried to sway him to a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 WIN MAG. Its features include a 26" barrel with an adjustable muzzle brake, an adjustable Accu-Trigger, the Accu-Stock, and adjustable comb, and my personal guarantee.

Me trying to sway him is because I have one new in the box (new old stock as they say) with all papers and accessories. I am willing to give it to him for what I paid for it. I've given him several firearms as gifts - the latest a Beretta Model 21A in 22LR a month or two ago or so - but this one is not going to be a freebie. Since I paid a really excellent price for it from the buyer's perspective, he would be getting a great deal, with a money back guarantee, for at least a couple of hundred less than what they were going for retail.

20190915_175543.jpg

The money he'd save would buy some decent enough glass for the Savage and I even have the scope mount rail specific to this model somewhere in my heap of moving boxes; at least I think I do.

I will not try too hard though, I made one sales pitch to him and will leave it at that. If he does not want it, I may keep it as a hunting rifle (something tells me longer shots at deer and such are more likely here in TX than were in NY) or I may keep it as a safe queen and sell it later.

Attachments

• 20190915_175543.jpg
      20190915_175543.jpg
      640.1 KB · Views: 473

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Tell him I said he is nuts I'd he doesnt take that Savage
    It's a way better firearm than the 700

At one time 15 years ago, all I had was Remington rifles...now I dont own any..but I have 6 Savage bolt guns in 270, 243x2, .204 Ruger, 17 HMR, & 22LR

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Agree on Savage being head and shoulders above any Remington on the shelf today.

.308 will take any game you want in Texas and be easier to sit behind if he decides to just spend a day at the range.

My opinion is the Winmag is a bit overkill, but I’ve also used a .50 BMG on a jack rabbit so I won’t fault anyone for using it. Proper bullet choice is important to prevent ruining the meat though.

Now, who thinks he should skip the .308 for a 6.5 CM. :laughing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Well, much to my surprise he has already replied and said he guesses he will take it. I told him he can shoot 20 or 40 rounds out of it, using the utmost care not to ding or scratch it, and if he likes it he keeps it but if not I'll give him a refund minus the cost of a case of beer (which I did not tell him, I will drink with him). I am guessing from what I've heard here and elsewhere, Remington has fallen to the level of sub-par when it comes to their quality control. Too bad especially since they are the oldest U.S. gun manufacturer.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    My opinion is the Winmag is a bit overkill, but I’ve also used a .50 BMG on a jack rabbit so I won’t fault anyone for using it. Proper bullet choice is important to prevent ruining the meat though.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He may wind up thinking it has too much of a kick and wind up not wanting it. Time and a range trip will tell. I hope to get it to him within a week or two at most.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    .300 win mag? What does he plan om hunting?

If he's staying in the lower 48, .30-06 or .308 is a much more practical choice

And more pleasant choice.

Im not a fan of remington, but theres more than enough aftermarket to correct any flaws

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If that doesn't have a brake on it I don't think he will like it much.

But yeah, Savage > Remington every time.
    bf897000eca5edc8ca40706a33d8f56f.jpg

Attachments

• bf897000eca5edc8ca40706a33d8f56f.jpg
      bf897000eca5edc8ca40706a33d8f56f.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 471

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    My $0.02 that you’re getting for free, assuming he doesn’t reload, I think he has the right caliber choice.

If y’all lived in Alaska, .300 WM is a great choice, but CONUS, with the two choices in the OP, a .308 is smarter...more options, better availability, less recoil, way cheaper.

I agree Savage > today’s Remmy. Personally I’d buy a Tikka over most anything these days.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Two unrelated questions:

Chambering?
    .308 vs 300WM
    The 300WM ammo is more costly, it recoils way harder, it's way louder.
    Just unneeded unless you are after a Colorado elk etc. Even then the .308 is more than adequate.

Brand.
    Remington is adequate though hardly exemplary as far as quality, fit and finish.

Savage, CZ, Tikka, Ruger, Howa, Browning, Burgara.....many meet and exceed most demands.

In the buy-once-cry-once category, if this is a once in a decade purchase take a step up.
    Steyr, Seekins, Barrett, Sauer, Weatherby......

So many rifles, so little time.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    What I am going to do is bring him the Savage 111 LRH in 300 WIN MAG and also bring along my Savage Axis XP in 308. Then he can fire both and decide which caliber he prefers. I also may bring along a Remington 141 and Marlin 336 both in 35 REM, a caliber with which he is quite familiar - he took a bear with my Marlin 336 in 35 REM back when he was 16. I may even bring along my Marlin 36 (not 336) to let him try a gun in 30-30.

If he decides on the SAVAGE 111 LRH then he can have that one at cost. If he decides he wants a 308 instead, he has to buy one at retail somewhere. If he decides on the Remington 141, chances are he is getting another gifted gun since I have two of them.

This way he can make his decisions based on a few options.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I am going to do is bring him the Savage 111 LRH in 300 WIN MAG and also bring along my Savage Axis XP in 308. Then he can fire both and decide which caliber he prefers. I also may bring along a Remington 141 and Marlin 336 both in 35 REM, a caliber with which he is quite familiar - he took a bear with my Marlin 336 in 35 REM back when he was 16. I may even bring along my Marlin 36 (not 336) to let him try a gun in 30-30.

If he decides on the SAVAGE 111 LRH then he can have that one at cost. If he decides he wants a 308 instead, he has to buy one at retail somewhere. If he decides on the Remington 141, chances are he is getting another gifted gun since I have two of them.

This way he can make his decisions based on a few options.
    That sounds like a good time burning powered. Enjoy!

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Have a 700/308 for hunting, shot my last 2 deer with it, both were 200 yard shots, love it, also have 700/308 with the varmit barrel, its a tack driver

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you were my father it be a non issue. He would say "When you have enough money for it buy what you want!" He bought guns in his name until I was old enough. He also mistakes made were the best way to learn from them.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    If you were my father it be a non issue. He would say "When you have enough money for it buy what you want!" He bought guns in his name until I was old enough. He also mistakes made were the best way to learn from them.
    My son will buy exactly what he wants as he has been doing since he bought his first AK on his own. That doesn't mean that I stop being a father how I do it. I still offer my fatherly (and best shooting buddy) advice to him but he makes up his own mind when it comes right down to it. If your father ever had a rifle or advice that was suitable for you and never offered it to you once you hit adulthood, well that was his way. It is not my way and I am not your father. Each of us has our own way of bringing up and teaching our children and I respect that; me I did it like the song says:

Top Bottom