Hurley's Gold

So im watching the movie Fists of Fury...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's a shame that you contradicted yourself. You just posted a source that says he did fight a match.

And WikiPedia may not always be right, but even WikiPedia pretty much says the same thing you linked as far as his only "official" match. But he did win the match and was a tournament champion.

But as you kindly put it, yeah, I'm real sure he was a poser. The first post you quoted, was a joke, about Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris fighting in a movie. But again, the humor went right over your head.

Read it again. I didn’t contradict myself at all. I admitted I was incorrect and that he had actually been in one documented fight. Although in that one it also says that no one was really impressed.

Humor didn’t go over my head. I posted a link to Chuck Norris as an example of someone with an actual record showing they were actually skilled and martial arts and not just choreographed dance fights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Read it again. I didn’t contradict myself at all. I admitted I was incorrect and that he had actually been in one documented fight. Although in that one it also says that no one was really impressed.

Humor didn’t go over my head. I posted a link to Chuck Norris as an example of someone with an actual record showing they were actually skilled and martial arts and not just choreographed dance fights.

So just because Norris fought competitively, that means he was actually more skilled in martial arts than Lee?

Seriously you don't think that is the only standard that is the measure of a person's skill in martial arts?

There are many very skilled and even masters of martial arts, that have never been in a match, or a competitive fight for a title.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So just because Norris fought competitively, that means he was actually more skilled in martial arts than Lee?

Seriously you don't think that is the only standard that is the measure of a person's skill in martial arts?

There are many very skilled and even masters of martial arts, that have never been in a match, or a competitive fight for a title.

Typically you need to compete in order to progress in martial arts. I’m not familiar with every style, but I do know that most require some sort of tournament participation in order to progress, especially to the level of master.

My daughter has done something like 12 tournaments in order to get her Blackbelt. Couldn’t have gotten there without them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Typically you need to compete in order to progress in martial arts. I’m not familiar with every style, but I do know that most require some sort of tournament participation in order to progress, especially to the level of master.

My daughter has done something like 12 tournaments in order to get her Blackbelt. Couldn’t have gotten there without them.

You win Younggun. I'll defer to your expertise on this subject. I know nothing about martial arts.

Threads all yours sir.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Never heard of her. Was she JFK'S wife?

A3FC0239-FBC2-4155-B73C-581205A23C1B.gif

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

No competition required best I can tell. My granddaughter does stuff in a line with a bunch of others. Then does a couple things on her own. Voila’! Belt granted. Each has different skill levels and moves.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No competition required best I can tell. My granddaughter does stuff in a line with a bunch of others. Then does a couple things on her own. Voila’! Belt granted. Each has different skill levels and moves.

For the actual grading ceremony that is what happens with my daughter. But in between they must meet the requirements of X number of tournaments. Usually needed to reach the next solid belt color. From time to time they will cross over their tournaments with a karate organization that has the same requirements. Daughter does Taekwondo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Work truck is breaking down so I can’t idle and run the AC. Might be feeling a bit more obtuse than usual.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    For the actual grading ceremony that is what happens with my daughter. But in between they must meet the requirements of X number of tournaments. Usually needed to reach the next solid belt color. From time to time they will cross over their tournaments with a karate organization that has the same requirements. Daughter does Taekwondo.

Your daughter must do WT style Taekwondo, and her school must have the tournament mandate. There are WT schools that have no such requirements, nor do ITF schools require tournaments in order to progress. There are WT schools that also ignore half of the art, and focus entirely on WT-style sparring because they have a hard tournament focus. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't make them better or worse than the schools and styles without the tournament focus. There are also sport-karate styles, and a huge tournament circuit, both open and invitational. WT students can have a rough transition if they switch styles or arts, because of the absurd focus on high kicks in WT, and the almost complete lack of hand techniques, and the lack of face punches. You can almost instantly tell a WT taekwondo fighter, because they bounce, and they keep their hands low.

I've been a martial artist since I was 9 years old. I've trained primarily in traditional "Chang Hon" style Taekwondo - the progenitor to the WT style. I've also studied Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Shotokan karate.

Titles / competition aren't necessary for advancement in most schools / styles, nor is competition alone an indicator of a person's skill. It can help hone certain skill sets, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it - the true measure of the effectiveness of an art is pressure testing - can it be performed in a full contract, stressful situation. A lot comes down to training, the individual's own physicality and ability, along with the actual technique itself. There are phenoms who could pull off the craziest spinning jumping flying squirrel ninja moves under some crazy real world situations - but 99.9% of people wouldn't be able to. That same person might get their ass handed to them because of a deficiency elsewhere in their abilities.

Kyokushin karate practitioners are incredible badasses when it comes to taking body shots - but their own sparring rules prevent face punches. They will harden their bodies to be able to get hit with bats, but there's been multiple documented cases where they'll freeze up when hit in the face - because of a different rule set.

Most sport-karate / TKD also prohibit strikes and kicks below the waist, so they rarely build defenses up against such attacks. Pit a sport karate or TKD fighter against Muay Thai? Its limp-city for a week after, because of the MT focus on leg kicks.

Bruce Lee was a pioneer martial artist, he was a legit master. He didn't need tournaments to prove it. I have my own small wall of medals behind me - I'm proud of the accomplishments, but they only meant I won in the ruleset of the competition and aren't much of a reflection about my actual skill level or abilities.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Interesting that there is a lack of requirement for the other groups.

As far as Bruce Lee goes, he’s more of an artist than martial artist IMO. He may have popularized things, but without competition there is no test. He proved himself an entertainer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I do agree though about certain shortcomings for sport style TKD and some habits it can teach. Always been happy that my daughters school, while teaching within the rules for tournament, also brings in self defense and expects students who happen to take a kick to the face or below the belt to keep fighting.

My daughter gets real mean when she takes one on the nose, lol.

Top Bottom