Patriot Mobile

So Glad I Took the Road Less Traveled ( Cholesterol Lowering Road)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Your lipid profile is genetically controlled and although diet control is good you may not be able to alter your risk factors. I still remember the big push from butter to margarine and the multiple polyunsaturated diets. I love my red meat, unsalted butter and all of the "bad foods". My triglycerides are high and always will be.
    I had a heart attack 20 years ago, have been on a statin since. I don't have medical advice for you except that your heart works less if your blood pressure is normal and your weight is in the normal range.
    DK Firearms

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Doc want me to take statin...my LDL is @ 204...wants it less than 200 (normal).........I have not taken them. Muscle ache from statins is a quick indication of a serious side effect called Rhabdomyolysis (yes I can spell it without looking it up lol).....

I had a heart cath about 7-8 years ago (freebie because I ran the place) zero plaques/blockages......which is why I am not too worried about a LDL of 204........

CA is my concern........

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I had a heart cath about 7-8 years ago (freebie because I ran the place) zero plaques/blockages....
    I could make the exact same statement even though I weighed 400 pounds at the time. The doc couldn't conceal his surprise and, it seemed to me, consternation. He couldn't reconcile in his brain that such a fat guy, who had been so fat for so long, could have blood vessels clean as a whistle.

I just counted by blessings and went on to lose another 140 pounds. I'm at the age where my luck could run out any time, especially since my dad died at 56 from his second round of heart attacks. I'm 61 and terribly conscious of the fact that I've outlived him even though he was active and thin his whole life.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Rhabdo.....
    Is no joke. Was at the USAF Survival School when one of my team members got medevac’d with a suspected case. Ended up needing his gall bladder removed and nearly died of renal failure.

No, he was not on statins of any kind, just decided the best way to prep for a low calorie event was to cut calories ahead of time. After his body ate through what little body fat he had during the six days of field work, you can guess what it started to eat next.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Found Dr Mercola in 1999 when researching symptoms that I had that ended up being a single Diet Coke a day habit. Nutrasweet. Had symptoms of systemic lupus. All gone after getting off of it. Tried statins after this and had a lot of issues as well. I’ve been skeptical of pill pushing medicine ever since.

Also look into vitamin K. It is supposed to help remove calcium from blood and some people think it removes it from blood vessels

Mercola has been catching flack for his Covid stance lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Interesting article and very glad you posted the link.
    My father who is 81 is on cholesterol lowering meds and has dementia, and it's getting progressively worse.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Back a few years ago when my wife had her beer joint, we knew several people who started on statins. Every single one complained of joint pain, mostly knee, hip and ankle, and muscle pains and muscle loss. My doctor at the VA has been trying to get me to start on statins for years, every year I have to tell her no, no, hell no.

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    My last three doctors at the VA have wanted to put me back on statins. I tell them that I will never take statins again. Absolutely not.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    "It's possible your blood sugar (blood glucose) level may increase when you take a statin, which may lead to developing type 2 diabetes. The risk is small but important enough that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on statin labels regarding blood glucose levels and diabetes."

"Statin side effects: Weigh the benefits and risks - Mayo Clinic" https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...rol/in-depth/statin-side-effects/art-20046013

When it comes to pharmaceuticals, and they say "the risk is small", I just naturally have my doubts...

My LDL tends to run high, as does my HDL, which usually results in a decent ratio. Docs always want to put me on a statin (including my new doc), which I refuse, and they want to know why. When I mention the above, they first deny it is true, then tell me, "anyway, we can treat Type II". When I ask how, they say insulin... I ask what happens when I can't get it... End of conversation. Fortunately, the new doc only suggests, without insisting.

Frankly, my diet sucks, because of a lack of easy access to fresh foods. I decided against a garden this year out of respect to my developing back issues. I'm currently trying DIM (diindolylmethane, beneficial component of cruciferous vegetables), supposed to influence estrogen metabolism, and, I think, may indirectly influence cholesterol.
    I need to get a cholesterol panel done now, before I see the doc in a couple months... I tend to think the current cholesterol normal ranges need to be raised a bit!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom