ARJ Defense ad

So can my 19 year old daughter carry a pistol in her car, and on her person now?..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

Please read the above as the new information in that article is pertinent in my asking this question.

My daughter has been shooting since she was 7 and does handle pistols better than most who carry them and even still has her stupid little .22lr...

Anyway, any help to further understand and/or further information would be appreciated.

God bless.
    ARJ Defense ad

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Won't need one, but I spoke to a cop buddy in Dallas and he said, as of now, they're considering 18 to 20 years olds good to go on getting a concealed permit but will arrest constitution carriers. EPPD will probably be slightly behind the curb, so I'll send her back to college in a tank. Thanks.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I’m not an attorney so I will state what I think is correct.

An 18 year old is allowed to own a pistol. They cannot purchase one but could be gifted one by someone like their father. I would think the castle law would cover the 18 year while transporting a handgun in their car.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I’m not an attorney so I will state what I think is correct.

An 18 year old is allowed to own a pistol. They cannot purchase one but could be gifted one by someone like their father. I would think the castle law would cover the 18 year while transporting a handgun in their car.

That is 100 percent, exactly my understanding. She's owned several guns since 7 and I left it up to her whether or not she wants to carry her pistol in her car, but I obviously told her I condone it and would if I were her. The EPPD guys I've talked to have all said they'd arrest her. I mentioned everything you typed and they did not care. Well, she's 19 and can make her own decisions so I'm not worried about it, mainly because I'd rather see her in jail than in a box after being found raped and murdered. Thanks for the post.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    OK. so is she 'qualified' to get a CCW now? And then carry?
    [edit]. Just spoke with Carter's Country Spring. They said people still have to be 21 to take the CCW class.

Last edited:

wakosama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    the ruling seems to have a 2nd amendment constitutional carry rational. But as noted above some jurisdictions may still arrest. And apparently it didn't automatically grant them the right to take the classes. At least not in Howard County. We'll be watching to see if/when the age for classes is challenged or changed to 18.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the ruling seems to have a 2nd amendment constitutional carry rational. But as noted above some jurisdictions may still arrest. And apparently it didn't automatically grant them the right to take the classes. At least not in Howard County. We'll be watching to see if/when the age for classes is challenged or changed to 18.
    >
    I doubt that it would require re-litigation, if the ruling is clear.

We shall see. . . . . . .

leVieux

wakosama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I'm simply waiting for clarification regarding right to carry vs decision making on the classes. If they have the 'right' then the classes should be available. Legal to drive at 16 and classes available at 16. Same deal.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm simply waiting for clarification regarding right to carry vs decision making on the classes. If they have the 'right' then the classes should be available. Legal to drive at 16 and classes available at 16. Same deal.
    >

“I'm simply waiting for clarification. . . . . . .”

Yep, we all are.

My family has similar concerns, situations, & questoons, NOW !

You are not alone !

leVieux

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I agree. But find one you trust to defend you in court and win. Ask them what they can defend you against.

Personally, I think that any law that has "degrees" or "stages" of adulthood is unConstitutional. You are either an adult and can handle adult responsibilities and consequences or you are not. If a person can not handle the responsibilities of drinking or a handgun at 18, how can they handle any other responsibility that can effect the rest of their's, or other's, lives? Just makes no sense at all.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I wouldn't risk it just yet - the Supreme Court may have ruled, but the law hasn't been fixed and enforcement may be up to the whim of Dudley Do-Right...and if Dudley's a cop in Austin, Houston or Dallas there's no telling what the panic level will be. I'd give it time for the law to be brought in line with the court ruling so she has a solid defense if some bored cop decides to pull her over and isn't up to date on things.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't risk it just yet - the Supreme Court may have ruled, but the law hasn't been fixed and enforcement may be up to the whim of Dudley Do-Right...and if Dudley's a cop in Austin, Houston or Dallas there's no telling what the panic level will be. I'd give it time for the law to be brought in line with the court ruling so she has a solid defense if some bored cop decides to pull her over and isn't up to date on things.
    >
    Yes, we know.

Top Bottom