• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    Hello everyone. I wanted to take a second to mention some possible work I have available. I am the regional director for a facilities management company. I have accounts through all of TX and LA. We are always looking for people who can do snow removal services, especially after last February. If anyone is interested, shoot me a message. Happy new year everyone
    Venture Surplus ad

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but last February was a freak anomaly and most parts of Texas, like East Texas, may not even see a hint of snow for another ten or eleven years.
    That's what Washington state said too. It's been snowing there since Christmas morning. We paid out roughly 200k last year in de-icing just in DFW, and that didn't include the February storm.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm from kcmo so chains and de ice and generators are a way of life. My mom and dad got caught 15 days with nothing. No power water etc..
    But they made it because your survival is on you.

Cold? Power off store your food in ice chest outside
    Even if you don't have a whole house generator buy a couple of suitcase gens. You can run electric heaters bet propane heaters. Camping stove for cooking.
    Yes this is texas but always have a stash of warm clothes. Starting your car to keep the battery charging just incase everything else fails. Always if possible full tank

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That's what Washington state said too. It's been snowing there since Christmas morning. We paid out roughly 200k last year in de-icing just in DFW, and that didn't include the February storm.

This ain't Washington State!

I've been working risk management for over the past decade, and when probabilities are extremely low it doesn't pay to invest a lot of money in measures that most likely won't be used.

As Axxe55 stated, the winter storm earlier this year was abnormality. Yes, it sucked that the government and infrastructure weren't better prepared; but would you really want them to waste taxpayer's money on a threat that most likely only occurs every century or so? When was the last time Texas was hit but such extreme weather for such a long duration?

By your argument, we should be prepared for volcanoes as well!

Speaking on which, the $200K in de-icing you paid out in DFW, was that just at the airport? Otherwise, I am curious as to who would require so much of that service in that area...

Last edited:

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    This ain't Washington State!

I've been working risk management for over the past decade, and when probabilities are extremely low it doesn't pay to invest a lot of money in measures that most likely won't be used.

As Axxe55 stated, the winter storm earlier this year was abnormality. Yes, it sucked that the government and infrastructure weren't better prepared; but would you really want them to waste taxpayer's money on a threat that most likely only occurs every century or so? When was the last time Texas was hit but such extreme weather for such a long duration?

By your argument, we should be prepared for volcanoes as well!

Speaking on which, the $200K in de-icing you paid out in DFW, was that just at the airport? Otherwise, I am curious as to who would require so much of that service in that area...
    My customers include Amazon, Walmart, Sam's Club, 7-11/Stripes, USPS, and others. You are under estimating the cost charged to these companies for snow services. The fact that most people don't have the proper equipment or materials causing the prices for such services to go through the roof. We just had to pay out upwards of 8k for a single plow service in Washington because they had no one that was equiped to do it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    My customers include Amazon, Walmart, Sam's Club, 7-11/Stripes, USPS, and others. You are under estimating the cost charged to these companies for snow services. The fact that most people don't have the proper equipment or materials causing the prices for such services to go through the roof. We just had to pay out upwards of 8k for a single plow service in Washington because they had no one that was equiped to do it.

Good luck to you then. I still contend there isn't enough business to sustain operations, but if it's working for you then great.

I for one will stick with employment opportunities that are more stable and consistent...

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    Good luck to you then. I still contend there isn't enough business to sustain operations, but if it's working for you then great.

I for one will stick with employment opportunities that are more stable and consistent...
    We also offer year round landscape and maintenance services, so sustainability isn't an issue. Just thought I would offer potential work for anyone looking.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Let me throw in my $.02 here. The OP offered anyone interested in doing snow removal a possible way to make some $.
    Some people seem to be, IMHO, overly critical of him since they don't see it as necessary, blah, blah, blah.
    Me personally, I'm not interested, but some people might like it as a side gig or something.

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    Let me throw in my $.02 here. The OP offered anyone interested in doing snow removal a possible way to make some $.
    Some people seem to be, IMHO, overly critical of him since they don't see it as necessary, blah, blah, blah.
    Me personally, I'm not interested, but some people might like it as a side gig or something.
    Thank you sir, I appreciate that. I knew damn well when I transfered here from Massachusetts that snow removal wasn't going to be a very in demand product. Landscaping and irrigation is where I bring in the most profit. But I know how hard jobs can be to find so I just want to offer anyone with equipment a chance to make some extra cash.

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    In the Big Country, we get enough snow and ice often enough for TxDOT to have snow plows.
    Sounds like an honest, as needed, contract opportunity.
    Especially up on the Caprock.
    During that storm in February, I had 3 teams working non stop in Lubbock and Wichita Falls. Was not a fan of making those drives from Houston. But traffic was light

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    And y'all thought I was crazy looking for help lol. Currently have 3 teams in Dallas and 1 team in Odessa working to clear snow and ice. Dallas definitely wasn't prepared for this weather. Didn't even pretreat the highways fully.

Top Bottom