• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kobiash1

Oct 20, 2013
    little elm
    Question . You can shoot a .38 in a .357. What can you shoot out of a 500 smith. Thinking about a hog side arm.
    Thanks
    Jerry
    DK Firearms

johnericmccorkle

Nov 17, 2018
    US
    If you are looking for common caliber reduction with other common caliber in handgun I'd get a 460 Smith and wesson...I believe you can fire 454 casull and 45 long colt in it...(also if you get a 454 you can fire 45lc in it) also 45 Schofield if you can find the brass

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you are looking for common caliber reduction with other common caliber in handgun I'd get a 460 Smith and wesson...I believe you can fire 454 casull and 45 long colt in it...(also if you get a 454 you can fire 45lc in it) also 45 Schofield if you can find the brass

Don't forget 45 AutoRim. 45 ACP also if moonclips are available. Not sure on that.

The 460 S&W Magnum is a very versatile revolver.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is 500 S&W Magnum and 500 S&W Special ammo available. That's about it.

Both pretty expensive.
    Yes, I'm channeling John Ross when I say this but I still think it's valid:

If only S&W would come out with a short X frame that was just long enough to accept the 500 Special, I think they'd have an incredible big-bore revolver. There would be a huge weight savings while retaining big power. The resulting revolver wouldn't be as ungainly as the current 500 Magnums that are so heavy people don't laugh when you put a bipod on one.

Because of the weight, good offhand handling with a 500 requires you get a snubbie. Now imagine a short-frame variant, where you could have a 5" bbl and the revolver still winds up weighing less than the current 3.5" models. That would definitely be one of those "Shut up and take my money" situations for me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yes, I'm channeling John Ross when I say this but I still think it's valid:

If only S&W would come out with a short X frame that was just long enough to accept the 500 Special, I think they'd have an incredible big-bore revolver. There would be a huge weight savings while retaining big power. The resulting revolver wouldn't be as ungainly as the current 500 Magnums that are so heavy people don't laugh when you put a bipod on one.

Because of the weight, good offhand handling with a 500 requires you get a snubbie. Now imagine a short-frame variant, where you could have a 5" bbl and the revolver still winds up weighing less than the current 3.5" models. That would definitely be one of those "Shut up and take my money" situations for me.

That could be handy but I don't think there would be much of a market for it.

The 500 Magnum doesn't have a big market share anyways. On top of that you chamber it for hard to find and expensive ammo, lose the "check out my 500 Magnum" group, lose the slim bear defense buyers, and lose those that purchase for actual hunting use.

While Bob Ross being involved always helps sales that would be such a niche market I couldn't see anyone making that revolver.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    500 S&W really lends itself to hand loading. While they have a 500 special it’s not cheep like the 38 is inexpensive next to full house 357. So there isn’t much market for it. What you can do is hand load and get your 500 magnums down to special speeds and still have a powerhouse of a gun without the massive recoil. Simply select a light weight bullet and use trail boss powder. There is load data for it to drop the speed down to 950 or so. In a big gun like the 500 950 feels like a 38 special. The best part is you don’t have to trim cases or buy special cases.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    500 S&W really lends itself to hand loading. While they have a 500 special it’s not cheep like the 38 is inexpensive next to full house 357. So there isn’t much market for it. What you can do is hand load and get your 500 magnums down to special speeds and still have a powerhouse of a gun without the massive recoil. Simply select a light weight bullet and use trail boss powder. There is load data for it to drop the speed down to 950 or so. In a big gun like the 500 950 feels like a 38 special. The best part is you don’t have to trim cases or buy special cases.

You haven't shopped .38 Spl and .357 Mag lately. They're pretty close to the same price.

Chips n Salsa

Jun 4, 2017
    Plano

johnericmccorkle

Nov 17, 2018
    US
    Not sure how effective it will be on his but no reason it shouldn't be at reasonable distance...327 fed mag uses 327 he mag, 32 long and 32 short ...

It'll give you a multiple purpose revolver solution if you want something that would double as concealed carry but it doesn't use heavy lead...just alot of velocity to do the job.

Any reason a 357 mag wouldn't work for your hog sidearm? Many many available options and models

BMF500

Well-Known
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    There is 500 S&W Magnum and 500 S&W Special ammo available. That's about it. Both pretty expensive.

These are the perfect answers regarding compatibility and versatility of what they'll eat. For a hog side arm, nothing off the shelf is more devastating on the business end. However they are big, heavy, awkward and expensive to shoot. It is what it is and not everyone. I have 2 and love them both.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom