• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've never cut hay before... I've got about 5 acres of pasture that could be hayed, but I've just been shredding it and letting it goto waste :p What sort of equipment do I need? I have a 33hp tractor.
    Guns International

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    You could probably yield more cash in pocket if you opened up the pasture to summer graze a horse or two.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    If you're gonna sell it, follow previous advice. But if you need small scale hay supply for your use, if you can get it cut, you might look into "bundleing" it or "shocking" it by hand. I don't know 5 acres'd probably do you in.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Are you having to buy hay now that the 5 acres could offset? If so, how many bales are you buying per year? How long are you in this for? Willing to take a payback of equipment over a 5 - 10 year period?

Of course the deal killer is likely to be your 33hp tractor. Even small square balers need around 40+ hp at the PTO to run the baler. But if you're looking for an excuse to get a bigger tractor anyway, then that's one way to do it.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's just for personal use; I have no plans to sell it. I don't think I would have enough for that anyways. No Ben, I'm not going to scythe it by hand :laughing: ...but stacking it by hand might be an option instead of bailing. So I will need a disc mower and a rake, correct? Those disc mowers are kinda pricey aren't they? Are there any other methods of cutting it?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    a69607.jpg

pen the animals first.
    These will cut!

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Do you have neighbors that bale? Maybe they'd leave half and take half. Depending on the field, and type of bales, fertilizer and such, but 5 Acres could yield a couple round bales an acre if it's irrigated and fertilized and weed sprayed. Round bales go for about $50 - 100 a bale depending on hay and weeds. If you can make it horse quality it is worth more. I'd see if a neighbor would bale it for a cut (no pun intended), equipment is a lot for 5 Acres.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do you have neighbors that bale? Maybe they'd leave half and take half. Depending on the field, and type of bales, fertilizer and such, but 5 Acres could yield a couple round bales an acre if it's irrigated and fertilized and weed sprayed. Round bales go for about $50 - 100 a bale depending on hay and weeds. If you can make it horse quality it is worth more. I'd see if a neighbor would bale it for a cut (no pun intended), equipment is a lot for 5 Acres.

Exactly.
    We had many fields cut and baled on the halves.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If you decide on a baler, green is the wrong color.
    New Holland will serve you better than most any other brand.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Do you have neighbors that bale?
    Yeah; he's got a few hundred acres to manage. I just didn't want to inconvenience him, plus half the fun is learning to do it myself. He'd probably be nice enough to just let me use his equipment, but there's something not quite right about using another man's tractor ;)

Top Bottom