1641994514449.png

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    TL;DR
    Years ago, I learned the trick to make those cheap portable compressors last a while:
    First, before you ever load it, let it run wide open for about 5 minutes to break in.
    Second, let it run unloaded a minute or so whenever you're done using it.
    Thirdly, but most important, don't let it run loaded for more than 5 minutes! Let it inflate 5 minutes, let it run unloaded at least 30 seconds, let it cool 10 minutes.

Eli

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    TL;DR
    Years ago, I learned the trick to make those cheap portable compressors last a while:
    First, before you ever load it, let it run wide open for about 5 minutes to break in.
    Second, let it run unloaded a minute or so whenever you're done using it.
    Thirdly, but most important, don't let it run loaded for more than 5 minutes! Let it inflate 5 minutes, let it run unloaded at least 30 seconds, let it cool 10 minutes.

Eli

Duty cycle…its all about duty cycle. The small ones don’t handle heat well and have no good way to dissipate it.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have carried one of these in each vehicle for years. I have had the ones from Harbor Freight and WalMart, all worked fine.

A previous post referred to breaking it in. I never did that but, but breaking it in a few minutes, and trying int out under load (fill a tire), sounds like a good idea that I never din, Luckily,whenever I needed mine it worked.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    20-Volt Max Cordless Multi-Purpose Inflator. It's corded, 12 volt or uses a standard 20vt B&D battery (or knock-off). You can set the pressure for auto-shutoff and it has a locking chuck versus the cheap screw ones that cross thread. I've topped off 8 low tires (17") on two vehicles without overheating

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I have a ryobi inflator too. I'm assuming other brands have something simular if you have cordless tools. I've had it for a couple years. Use it to keep the car and bike's tires aired up. I throw it in the saddle bag when I run around the hill country. This is the one I have. I think a new model is out now
    View attachment 298634
    Buddy at the deer lease has a Ryobi inflator. Works great, but since I already had a (Harbor Freight) BAUER leaf blower with 20V battery & charger, I bought their 20V cordless inflator (~$25). I got it mainly for inflating my 4-wheeler tires, but it works great on my truck tires too. I think the Inflator, 20V battery, & charger will cost about $80 total.

Ryantsg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    Buddy at the deer lease has a Ryobi inflator. Works great, but since I already had a (Harbor Freight) BAUER leaf blower with 20V battery & charger, I bought their 20V cordless inflator (~$25). I got it mainly for inflating my 4-wheeler tires, but it works great on my truck tires too. I think the Inflator, 20V battery, & charger will cost about $80 total.
    Yep I think they key is to get one for whatever battery echo system you are in. I’ve been using Ryobi since the 14.4V one plus was NiMH. I’m tied in to the system and just need to replace batteries every 3-4 years. At this point I think I have compatible tools over 20 years ranging from angle grinder to Fans lol.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I’ve got one of the home compressors - hate dragging that thing out every time I just need to do some little job. Plus, the thing IS loud; I feel like I’m waking up half the neighborhood every time I fire it up.
    The little 12v ones are really for emergencies only. They'll burn up quick with regular use. They take forever, too.

If you want something easy to move around for home use or anywhere you can drag an extension cord, get a small pancake compressor.

For the 12v roadside pumps, I think they are all pretty junky and miserable to use. The best ones tend to be what OEMs include in lieu of a spare tire. You can pick them up cheap from the junk yard. The Pittsburgh one from Hazard Freight is actually pretty decent compared to most, but again they all blow.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For the 12v roadside pumps, I think they are all pretty junky and miserable to use. The best ones tend to be what OEMs include in lieu of a spare tire. You can pick them up cheap from the junk yard. The Pittsburgh one from Hazard Freight is actually pretty decent compared to most, but again they all blow.

That's always best, if they sucked, it'd defeat the purpose....

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I bought a super cheap slime branded inflator that plugs into a cig lighter about 10 years ago. Got it from Walmart for ~$20. It is slow on truck tires I admit, but that thing has been abused and it is still working today. Money well spent.
    I’ve carried one of these in my truck for over 10 years. Beat the piss out of it it’s whole life, and it still purrs like a kitten when I need it.

DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    I can't speak for car use but for motorcycle use where space is at a super premium, this little guy is what all of us rave about when it comes to tire inflation. Sure it is spendy, but it is really well built.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I keep ~$35 12v inflators (HD/ Walmart/ etc.) in my trucks hooked up to my airbags. Unhook to inflate a tire as needed.

Not great but serve the purpose if you're in a bind.

My kids all have $12 Walmart inflators in their vehicles for an emergency. They work but aren't used as much as mine.

If at home or on the job a bigger air compressor is available so I don't really see the need for anything expensive and mobile.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom