Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you are not pulling the sideplate and grips, just how well are you really cleaning it?
    When the close-tolerance triggers used by benchrest shooters get fouled with a single grain of powder or sand (Yes, those triggers can be that finicky.), those guys have been known to fix it at the range by flushing the trigger with lighter fluid. I've seen it done more than once.

I think it's possible to do a reasonable job of internally cleaning a S&W revolver by flushing it with the right stuff. If it isn't possible, I'd sure hate to look behind the sideplates of most of my revolvers.
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When the close-tolerance triggers used by benchrest shooters get fouled with a single grain of powder or sand (Yes, those triggers can be that finicky.), those guys have been known to fix it at the range by flushing the trigger with lighter fluid. I've seen it done more than once.

I think it's possible to do a reasonable job of internally cleaning a S&W revolver by flushing it with the right stuff. If it isn't possible, I'd sure hate to look behind the sideplates of most of my revolvers.
    I have seen similar as well, but honestly, unless you pull the sideplate and the grips, just how clean are you really getting all the small parts in there.

Maybe I'm just more involved with cleaning and maintenance than most people, but I made a long career out of doing just that, and It just naturally entered into almost every aspect of my life. Especially guns as they are as much an investment as they are a pasttime.

I have always looked at guns as just another mechanical device with moving parts that require attention and maintenance in order to operate as they were designed to. I try not to leave as little as possible to chance as I'm able to. So my cleaning methods may be more detail oriented than most, but that's just me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Unless he's pumping thousands upon thousands of rounds through them or shooting low end pistols, there's something wrong.

I will also add that you will see much better QC across the board with semi than you will revolvers

I agree, just pointing out that you misquoted him

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    And you are not curious as to how much debris and gunk is inside there?

If you are not pulling the sideplate and grips, just how well are you really cleaning it?
    We don't have the gun anymore, so, no, I'm not curious as to how much debris and gunk was/is inside there. However, it never failed in the many years that we had it so I figure it must have been pretty clean. Could it have failed the day after we got rid of it because of the debris and junk inside? Sure. Might it have continued to run flawlessly for another 10 years without taking the sideplate and grips off. Sure. Come to think of it, I did take the grips off it when I replaced the standard grips with CT laser grips and it looked just fine inside--and that was about 5 years after we bought it.

By the way, I took the Walther CCP 9MM to my local gun shop today and compared the racking effort to that of a S&W EZ 9MM. The S&W was somewhat lighter and did not "stack" near the end of the slide travel as the Walther does.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    We don't have the gun anymore, so, no, I'm not curious as to how much debris and gunk was/is inside there. However, it never failed in the many years that we had it so I figure it must have been pretty clean. Could it have failed the day after we got rid of it because of the debris and junk inside? Sure. Might it have continued to run flawlessly for another 10 years without taking the sideplate and grips off. Sure. Come to think of it, I did take the grips off it when I replaced the standard grips with CT laser grips and it looked just fine inside--and that was about 5 years after we bought it.

By the way, I took the Walther CCP 9MM to my local gun shop today and compared the racking effort to that of a S&W EZ 9MM. The S&W was somewhat lighter and did not "stack" near the end of the slide travel as the Walther does.
    Or just getting lucky. Your words, Could, might and figured, IMO, that is leaving a whole lot to chance and luck. That is entirely your choice to make.

I'll refrain from offering you any suggestions and advice in the future.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Or just getting lucky. Your words, Could, might and figured, IMO, that is leaving a whole lot to chance and luck. That is entirely your choice to make.

I'll refrain from offering you any suggestions and advice in the future.

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County

Looks like the Walther recoil spring uses the barrel for a guide rod. The Smith has an assembly with an integral rod. I've not handled the Walther CCP but did have a PP years ago with a similar recoil spring arrangement. It was noticeable the slide would get harder as you engaged the slide lock. That may be due to the spring bunching up in the slide during recoil. The Smith spring assembly is much smaller so may not be experiencing the "stacking" as you call it as the slide goes to the rear. Just a thought.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Looks like the Walther recoil spring uses the barrel for a guide rod. The Smith has an assembly with an integral rod. I've not handled the Walther CCP but did have a PP years ago with a similar recoil spring arrangement. It was noticeable the slide would get harder as you engaged the slide lock. That may be due to the spring bunching up in the slide during recoil. The Smith spring assembly is much smaller so may not be experiencing the "stacking" as you call it as the slide goes to the rear. Just a thought.
    Your idea sounds very reasonable to me. I talked to the guys at the GS and one of them said that his experience with Walthers was like yours with the PP and mine with the CCP. Another guy said that he had seen quite a few Walthers that wouldn't feed reliably.
    I think I'll be getting the EZ 9MM pretty soon.

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Your idea sounds very reasonable to me. I talked to the guys at the GS and one of them said that his experience with Walthers was like yours with the PP and mine with the CCP. Another guy said that he had seen quite a few Walthers that wouldn't feed reliably.
    I think I'll be getting the EZ 9MM pretty soon.
    Never had a problem feeding reliably. Spend a little time in the weight room regardless of your age.

Top Bottom