• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I'm sure it's thrilling .......................... but I'm old and don't think I could convince myself to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
    Actually, I HATE heights! When I worked at Shell, my office was on the 22d floor and I stayed away from the windows. A coworker "accidentally" bumped into when I was looking out the window and I almost cleared the door jumping backwards.

But, I like to skydive. When I am in the plane, I keep telling myself "get out of the plane while it is on the ground!"

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I'm sure it's thrilling .......................... but I'm old and don't think I could convince myself to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
    A couple of my buddies were in the 82d Airborne and said the "perfectly good airplane" made it easy. It seems the aircraft the Air Force would send for the 82d were their worst aircraft so sometimes it was a choice between jumping and crash landing with the bird.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I lived many years close to Skydive Dallas near the Fannin/Grayson border. Most years I'd read an article where someone would die during a jump. I always wanted to skydive though.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I lived many years close to Skydive Dallas near the Fannin/Grayson border. Most years I'd read an article where someone would die during a jump. I always wanted to skydive though.
    Yeah, but life is unpredictable. You can die from chocking on a french fry or an auto accident as well. Live life to the fullest and enjoy everything you can! Life is too short to live otherwise.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I know people who do it.

One the clients where I worked years ago bought it one time. Dude had over 3500 jumps.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    For those afraid of heights, but want the feeling of skydiving they have those IFLY paces in every major city. I went a few years ago and it was fun. No tandem either. Although there is an instructor in the wind tunnel with you.

Reactions: BBL

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    For those afraid of heights, but want the feeling of skydiving they have those IFLY paces in every major city. I went a few years ago and it was fun. No tandem either. Although there is an instructor in the wind tunnel with you.
    That is the place I will be going to for my initial training. You need to be proficient in moving through the airstream so that you can do it without thinking. Especially in a high-stress situation (how about first solo jump?), the brain can wreak havoc on you and freeze up.

Once I have enough "air time" under the belt, I'll get with a skydiving school and do a few jumps. Sounds like a fun activity!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A couple of my buddies were in the 82d Airborne and said the "perfectly good airplane" made it easy. It seems the aircraft the Air Force would send for the 82d were their worst aircraft so sometimes it was a choice between jumping and crash landing with the bird.

That's horseshit; but I guess like any good war story, it only has to be entertaining, not factual...

But as a prior USAF aircraft maintenance analyst, I can attest that there's no such thing as a "perfectly good aircraft."

Something's gonna break, it's just a matter of what, and when! :eek: :eek: :eek:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, I HATE heights! When I worked at Shell, my office was on the 22d floor and I stayed away from the windows. A coworker "accidentally" bumped into when I was looking out the window and I almost cleared the door jumping backwards...

Same here. I taught in this glass building in Tampa which, as you can see, had floor to roof windows on every floor, even in the men's room!

The last urinal was right up against the glass, and while using it you could look down about seventeen floors to the ground.

It did make taking a piss rather easy! ;) ;) ;)

1627084122226.png

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    So, was supposed to go kayaking today in Ruidoso, but they had thunderstorms. So, since I was bored, decided to try iFly. It was pretty cool. Will be going back again soon.

Attachments

• _ELP-388609.JPG
      _ELP-388609.JPG
      849 KB · Views: 109

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015

Nope. I was in the 82nd too. Never had an aircraft that had any issues we were aware of. Jumped there for four years and some years afterwards as a civilian. My daughter is medically retired from the Army and had a Wounded veterans event at the San Marcos skydiving location. She invited me to go along with her. After she told them I had jumped with the 82nd they invited me to jump with her. No complaints and it was a very fun deal. Went skydiving out at Las Vegas by Hoover dam. Also stunning from that location.

Jumped from Chinook and Huey helicopters, C-130, C-141, C-5A Galaxy, and many civilian aircraft. Loved jumping from the Chinook as you could just run right out the ramp. Wobbly riding in it though.

Top Bottom