• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bear_Sushi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2022
    Texas
    Good day all,

After mentioning it a couple of times when shooting has been brought up, My FIL expressed interest in Skeet/trap shooting. So for Christmas we offered to take him to Alpine to shoot. I haven't done a lot of skeet or trap shooting other than in someone's pasture. What are some of your best tips or advice on helping make sure everyone enjoys the opportunity?
    Guns International

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Kind of vague on details, but is the guy proficient with a shotgun (bird hunter)?

Unless he already shoots a lot of 12 ga, bring a 20.

Farm out the coaching/instruction.

Don’t drink and shoot.

Bear_Sushi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2022
    Texas
    Kind of vague on details, but is the guy proficient with a shotgun (bird hunter)?

Unless he already shoots a lot of 12 ga, bring a 20.

Farm out the coaching/instruction.

Don’t drink and shoot.
    He's basically a rookie, but understands the 4 safety rules and is one of those guys that picks things up very quickly.

We were planning on renting a 20ga from alpine, does alpine have good coaches?

Never!

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Skeet and trap are not pasture clays.
    Watch a couple of instructional videos from real instructors, not YouTube clowns.
    There are shooting sequences and etiquette to follow for all organized clay games.
    Basic skeet and trap games are 25 targets each. Basically one box of ammo, shot size not to exceed 7 1/2.
    Ask for help.
    Follow the rules and you won’t be thrown out.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Depending on what shotgun he is using make sure you know what type of chokes you have. For skeet shooting the most common chokes are cylinder, skeet, and improved cylinder chokes which makes the pattern more spread and skeet is short range shooting. You can use factory chokes or buy aftermarket chokes like Brileys, Rinos, Mueller, and Carlsens. for skeet the most common type of shells are 20 or 12 with number 9 or 8 shot. I prefer 9 shot. For trap shooting I use a Modified or lite mod choke and sometime full choke. I use Number 8 and 7.5 shot size. If at all possible I would avoid pump shotgun especially if you are in a competitive shoot like my daughrer. My daughter uses a Beretta 694 O/U 12 gauge with TSK stock.

Attachments

• TSK2.jpg
      TSK2.jpg
      725 KB · Views: 48

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Have only shot at the Alpine (if we're talking about the same Alpine) range to qualify for my LTC so I'm not sure what is available there but it is a nice facility. My advice head and eyes up at the call.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Second on no pump I personally prefer an O/U. I have found that I shoot equally well with a 12 and 28 gauge. If your dad in law is ok with recoil go with a 12. If you want to save a few $$ you can both use your shotgun.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I wouldn’t worry about a pump gun. I’d rather have someone new to clay games shoot a gun they are familiar with rather than fumbling with a gun they don’t know.
    Also, first timers at skeet don’t often shoot doubles until they are comfortable with singles. Maybe not the whole first game.
    Lastly, any bird hunter is not likely to have any problems cycling up for doubles.
    You are not taking a new shooter to the World Championships.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Good day all,

After mentioning it a couple of times when shooting has been brought up, My FIL expressed interest in Skeet/trap shooting. So for Christmas we offered to take him to Alpine to shoot. I haven't done a lot of skeet or trap shooting other than in someone's pasture. What are some of your best tips or advice on helping make sure everyone enjoys the opportunity?
    Going away...shoot under.
    Across...shoot ahead.
    Mount the gun properly i.e. don't crane your neck down to the gun. Bring the gun up to you cheek.

Have fun.

Seriously have fun and don't pull a Dick Cheney.

Oh, have fun.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Good day all,

Rifles are for aiming.
    Shotguns are for pointing.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Its a nice range! Good facility. Start on trap, as its the easiest. Would advise against skeet for first timers, as it can be very humbling.
    They have a nice sporting clays course, and that is more like pasture shooting / hunting than any of the others. Its like golf with a shotgun.

Protocol is 2 shells in the gun for a throw, not three. Have a belt with a shell pouch, and wear shooting glasses. Leave chamber open when not shooting.

Hope yall have a good time. Its my favorite thing to do with a gun.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Its a nice range! Good facility. Start on trap, as its the easiest. Would advise against skeet for first timers, as it can be very humbling.
    They have a nice sporting clays course, and that is more like pasture shooting / hunting than any of the others. Its like golf with a shotgun.

Protocol is 2 shells in the gun for a throw, not three. Have a belt with a shell pouch, and wear shooting glasses. Leave chamber open when not shooting.

Hope yall have a good time. Its my favorite thing to do with a gun.

Sporting Clays is something I haven’t done in years.

Seem to remember I kinda sucked at it last time I shot a round but had a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom