• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys, Silver is up right now. It’s at 24.69 / oz spot price. Anyone else try to keep up with it? I buy on eBay for $18-28 including shipping depending on coins or bars.

v-tach gave me my first Troy oz as an adult after spending some cash at his store every time I came through Rockport. I’ve been slowly collecting for future trades and prepping. It’s not a retirement plan but I think it’ll pay off sometime.

THE POINT- I just wanted a thread to keep up with silver prices for the forum.
    Target Sports

Low_Speed94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2020
    DFW
    Guys, Silver is up right now. It’s at 24.69 / oz spot price. Anyone else try to keep up with it? I buy on eBay for $18-28 including shipping depending on coins or bars.

v-tach gave me my first Troy oz as an adult after spending some cash at his store every time I came through Rockport. I’ve been slowly collecting for future trades and prepping. It’s not a retirement plan but I think it’ll pay off sometime.

why do you buy physical silver over paper or the ETF?
    Also are you getting coins like as a barter item for prepping purposes or are you doing it as an investment?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I bought some silver back in January 2020 when spot was $17.55 but the best price, that I could find for 100 coins, was $21.58 apiece. I put it securely away for safe keeping for a rainy day. I also bought two (2) 1/4 ounce gold coins; more expensive to buy the smaller coins per ounce than to buy 1 ounce coins but I figure if I ever need them in a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'd rather have the smaller ones which I think would make for easier transactions than cutting up big ones. Tried to buy a few times early in the pandemic when they bot had low spot prices but no one had any available; then when I did find some, despite low spot - they were asking a huge premium. Spot price does not mean anything when they all decide to overcharge.

I also tried to buy some palladium back in March when it took a rapid nose dive to around $650 spot or so. Could not find any. Now it is at about $2,204.00. I once considered buying rhodium too. It was about $1,000 per ounce at the time, about 5 or 6 years ago as I remember. Now it is close to 11.5K per ounce. Imagine that, buying a couple or three ounces then and having enough to buy a new compact car now only 5 or so years later; not a bad investment at all. Had I bought it, probably would have sold it when the wife and I split so I guess I'd not be buying a car with it now anyway.

I also had some silver & gold before leaving NY, sold it all to divide our funds between myself & my wife. I wish I would have thought of keeping my half in silver instead of cashing in back then in the spring of 2019. It certainly has gone up a lot. When the dollar fails - and I am fairly confident in my belief it is going to come to that with all this spending related to the pandemic and much less commerce & production going on - what will anyone have if they do not have at least some gold, palladium, platinum, rhodium or silver - when their currency becomes worthless!

I know - this is a firearms site so someone probably thinks they will be able to trade lead, copper & brass in the form of ammo but while that may be all well & good for some folks - I would not want use my holdout ammo for barter when I could have had silver & gold to use as currency.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    why do you buy physical silver over paper or the ETF?
    Also are you getting coins like as a barter item for prepping purposes or are you doing it as an investment?

There’s significantly more paper silver and gold, than there is actual silver and gold.

Which means the paper is nothing more than a fiat note, not backed by actual metal at all.

Some good reading here (and tons elsewhere if you search “physical metal vs paper”):

If you have physical metals, you can be sure that you don’t just own a piece of paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Buying precious metal ETFs is a foolish notion unless you're only looking for the fiat profit at the end of the line in 50 years. If you need the actual metal for trade or bartering because you believe there is a high amount instability it's spot price is worthless except to limit how much you can buy at any one time.

When buying precious metals there are two ways:

1) for investment -- fiat paper
    2) for security -- physical coins and bars

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    This thread got me motivated, just bought 4 silver Maple Leaf coins via eBay. Not too hot for eBay but figured I'd give it a try; the guy selling them has hundreds all positive feedback. $31.07 each shipped, a little better than I'd get them at APMEX where I usually buy.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I bought almost all of my silver at 15-16$/oz. My personal buy ceiling is 20$. My sell point is $50, otherwise I'll hang onto it for the long haul.

Now a good friend of mine is still actively buying. He thinks the bail outs are going to blow up our rate of inflation. While I mostly agree, the pandemic is a world wide thing so I think it will take a decade for us to see obvious changes.

I bought mine as a long term hedge and because it's universal currency. I still think it's disproportionate value to gold is a paper/stock market manipulation. IMO silver should consistently be about 1/50th the value of gold but it hasn't been that way since the 80s.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas

LOL...I remember that......I think I paid $10.00 each for those "Don't Tread on Me" silver rounds....still have a roll of 20 of those.......I was buying 10 ounce and kilo bars pretty heavy back then.............and still buy on occasion........

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Now a good friend of mine is still actively buying. He thinks the bail outs are going to blow up our rate of inflation. While I mostly agree, the pandemic is a world wide thing so I think it will take a decade for us to see obvious changes.
    I'd be amazed if it takes 10 years for the spending they are doing during this pandemic to catch up to us and screw the economy badly. We already had a bad effect from Obummer that Trump was able t sidestep nicely with drastic changes to how things worked but even f trump remains in office, I figure we will ave to pay the piper before 4 years are up. Nope, I am not an economics major, I preferred what was in m eyes more hands on & mentally challenging investigative work, but it is obvious even to me that we will have to pay sooner or later and my bet is with how much we spent and with the lack of current production - it will be sooner. My guess is with a Biden win, the government would default on many financial obligations mid to late in a first term or at best in the beginning of a second term, especially if the dems were to keep spending if he gets in.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys coins are worth what you can get for them. This is a very trade priced site. I have traded a gun I didn’t want for a gun I really wanted plus ammo.

silver coins are worth looking into either short or long term. Value = value.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Been buying silver for 15 years ... some below $10/oz and most under $16/ox. Like said above, you got to have a point to stop and then a sell threshold. Had just under 400oz in my safe at one time.

My experience has been that typically one buys at 5-10% over spot from retailers. Those same retailer only offer 75% of spot. One has to have an acceptable avenue to liquidate.

I traded silver rounds for a BMW motorcycle a few months ago and recently flipped the bike. I was able to convert the silver at Spot + 15%. Doesn't happen often.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Once again, prices on metals go up and down. When the price goes up enough, it becomes profitable to mine more of it. When more gets mined, the prices fall. Be very careful about buying metals and don't listen to the sales pitches. The Hunt brothers lost a fortune years ago when they tried to corner the silver market.

Low_Speed94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2020
    DFW
    Honestly right now we do have inflation in the economy, however it’s in Stocks you can see it in the since the coronavirus crash how markets have recovered.

Physical gold and silver is a good investment but also I think you should really be diversified into real estate cryptocurrency guns obviously and also some stocks

The whole economy is set up to make the stock market run and if you look at how much stimulus we got versus how much the banks and Wall Street got with quantitative easing and all of the liquidity support during the past year you can see pretty clearly which side the bread is buttered.

Having some shares of SPY on a tight stop is not a bad idea especially if you Are set up to quickly wire out your cash after you get stopped out and then convert them into precious metals and non-KYC crypto.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Many schools of thought don’t place gold/silver into an investment asset class. Instead, they’re viewed as hedges against inflation, a way to preserve buying power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    All you neckbeards are just hoarding metal so you can gouge good people for it later. Just because you have the right to do it doesn't change the fact u r an *sshole. I can't find any silver because you're buying it all. I hate you I hate you. You're actually the reason silver is expensive. You're responsible for this market being out of whack. You're causing the silver shortage. Silver prices would be cheap if people only bought a fair amount. If you only took what you needed there'd be plenty for everyone (I mean me). The world would be better off with you dead. You're taking silver away from orphans and widows and and senior citizens on fixed incomes. You know there is no possible way these folks could have pre-planned for their need for silver or read a book or educated themselves in any way. Don't be so fecking obtuse. You know they had candy to crush and tattoo and Starbux bills to pay. Me? I'm not selling MY silver at these ridiculous prices - that'd make me a baddy. My hoard, er, stash, er, reasonable amount is for me only. I'd never sell it to anyone that wanted it. It's all mine, therefore I'm not a neckbeard. My wife said if I sold any at these high prices I should feel guilty. She must be right - she's right about everything else... It's all your fault my life isn't wonderful and everything I want isn't free, easy, and itchless. If it wasn't for you and your ilk we could all hold hands and skip through the fields of love. Since I didn't think ahead and buy a field can we use yours? Also, I'm purty dang shor you're the reason my farts stink.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I don't skip through love fields while holding hands with men.................

...........not that there's anything wrong with that.......

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    You do know that if you buy $1000.00 worth of precious metals, you do not have to pay tax. I would never buy less than that. Not a neckbeard, just a smart investor.

Top Bottom