Texas SOT

Sig Sauer VS Primary Arms for a 5x optic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Desert Citizen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2023
    El Paso, TX
    Does anyone have experience with either? I'm thinking of getting a 5x optic and some manner of small red dot on top, wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice on this sort of a setup?

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I have used the 3x and other primary arm scopes, only sig optic I have used is a really old 3x and the romeo5.

Cheap sig and cheap primary arm glass to my eyes is about the same. At the lower end they are both Chinese made with unknown glass.

Sig has had good customer service for me when I needed it (over a decade ago) so has primary arms (Texas company)

Pick the one with the reticle you like and go.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I would bet that both are made by the same manufacturer or close to it. Go to a LGS and take a peek side by side if you can. If not choose the one with the reticle you like or the cheaper one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Primary arms are ok, I don't like their reticles, especially the CQB ones.

Not super familiar with sig's optic, but I don't like optics with pic rails all over the place. I do like trijicons method, just two little tabs on etheir side

ACOG's are still the best prisms out there, if you can live with the illumination methods and lack of diopter

Desert Citizen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2023
    El Paso, TX
    Primary arms are ok, I don't like their reticles, especially the CQB ones.

Not super familiar with sig's optic, but I don't like optics with pic rails all over the place. I do like trijicons method, just two little tabs on etheir side

ACOG's are still the best prisms out there, if you can live with the illumination methods and lack of diopter

Huh, I didn't know ACOGs don't have a diopter. Welp, that might be a deal breaker seeing as I have astigmatism.

It seems like people have more experience with Primary Arms than Sig Sauer, so I'll probably look more into their stuff first.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Does anyone have experience with either? I'm thinking of getting a 5x optic and some manner of small red dot on top, wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice on this sort of a setup?
    Both are made by the company that makes holosun iirc.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Huh, I didn't know ACOGs don't have a diopter. Welp, that might be a deal breaker seeing as I have astigmatism.

It seems like people have more experience with Primary Arms than Sig Sauer, so I'll probably look more into their stuff first.
    I have a fluctuating astigmatism. I use the acog just fine. Go pick one up and look through it. This goes for any optic. Not all optics are the same. Some will work better with your eyes than others

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    ACCS .300 BLK / 7.62x39
    TA11 Donut
    TA31RCO

They all work good. I like the donut with the dot, but I just bought a primary arms 3x micro prism in green today.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Good points, what are some reticle types you all have some experience with?

Plenty of experience with MOA and some experience with MILRAD crosshairs, with and without segmented circles. Good for getting to know your own holds, but takes effort to learn (it's well worth it)

Trijicon chevron's with BDC. Personal favorite here, but they suffer from the BDC potentially not matching what you are currently shooting. The Trijicon/primary arms Aurora reticle is a small (but good) improvement that has been discontinued.

ELCAN Specter DR. Less BDC choice than the Trijicons, you get 5.56, 7.62x39(iirc) and .308. Crosshair with red dot. Had a few hash marks then donuts with segments for further ranges. Seemed to work ok. Expensive, and lots of quirks ($2000 and it has ARMS levers?)

Various PA prisms, mostly the 2x CQB. Not a fan. The newer prisms have reticles that aren't for ants, which is good, but are still too sparse and kinda miss the point of what a BDC is supposed to be. They make a 5x and a 1-4 with the Aurora reticle, but there's a reason so many people liked it on an ACOG.

Top Bottom