• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Has anyone used these? Got any opinions you want to share?

I finally got some to try them out. I had some issues with (crenellated) gamekings feeding properly in my M1A, and the last time I hit a buck with one it went right through without fragmenting (though he fell down stone dead 20 yards away, so I didn't feel that bad). I've hit a couple of hogs with sierra matchkings, and they just fly right on through, though I haven't managed to hit a solid bone with one.

For comparison, the SMKs I was shooting at pigs were 168 gr with 39.5 gr IMR 4895 running about 2400 fps. Should be plenty to drop a hog if you get it near the vitals, even without fragmentation.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Match Kings (or any bullet made for paper) will have very unpredictable results. Usually they’ll shed the jacket but they aren’t designed for terminal performance.

Bullets designed for hunting still have their performance windows for velocity and typical penetration and expansion which are usually designed with certain game in mind and it isn’t always advertised. It’s pretty much always a trade if in some way though. Haven’t tried the tipped game kings. Probably an attempt at more reliable expansion with a better BC though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Match Kings (or any bullet made for paper) will have very unpredictable results. Usually they’ll shed the jacket but they aren’t designed for terminal performance.

Bullets designed for hunting still have their performance windows for velocity and typical penetration and expansion which are usually designed with certain game in mind and it isn’t always advertised. It’s pretty much always a trade if in some way though. Haven’t tried the tipped game kings. Probably an attempt at more reliable expansion with a better BC though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'm not expecting consistent or reliable expansion with a match bullet. That's just what I had when the hogs were around.

It seems like that's what they were going for (expansion and good BC). Maybe i'll be the first to use them around here.

Top Bottom