• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Look up forums and societies in the field as well, usually you can find long directories of companies that way. It's just a #s game.

I know the feeling, I found a job in about 4 months thankfully, my now wife took over 2 years from graduating with her first bachelors to getting a job in her field of study. Another friend of mine is coming up to the one year mark, working a part time gig in his field. He can't find full time work.

Competing fresh out of college against people with college plus a decade of experience willing to work for peanuts to put food on the table is not a fun time at all for new grads.

This is a REALLY good idea.
    Texas SOT

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    This is a REALLY good idea.

Craigslist occasionally have some listings for decent jobs. Don't be quick to dismiss it as all scamsters, some companies are run by near computer & webpage design illiterates and/or don't dedicate much time and effort to recruitment. CL is pretty simple to use and it doesn't cost them money like a headhunting agency will charge.

Glad to help out, I think that's about it for tricks I learned when we were searching for places to apply.

Good luck in your search and be patient. I was working night shift at a gas station and the other half was working there and waitressing with two bachelors degrees under her belt, not a good feeling working that kind of shit after doing everything right. It'll come through and be worth it in the end.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Actually, I use Indeed the most. It allows me to keep up with new job postings. I use Indeed, SimplyHired, Usajobs, WorkinTexas, Monster, and Careerbuilder the most. Every other day, I'll use a general google search with various keywords. WorkinTexas takes the longest, because it's the most "primitive" of the bunch, and I use several different keyword combinations to find the correct positions. The rest, minus Google, allow me to search based on date, which keeps everything organized.

So far, I'm at one legitimate interview and two with staffing agencies, which have been screwing around with me ever since. The one legitimate interview is in limbo right now, and I plan to contact the hiring manager tomorrow or Wednesday to follow up(I can't remember if he said he would contact me last Friday or this Friday, but I don't think it will matter if I just call to follow up). Also, I have (another) position at Chevron to which I applied for and managed to get a referral from within the company, that closed last Friday so I assume I'll receive an email sometime this week with either good or bad news. So far, from them, it's primarily been bad news even with the referral.

I don't really have a good estimate on how many jobs I've applied for. I've been actively applying since May '12, which was before graduation, and ramped it up hardcore in July-August '12 during graduation. I'd give a conservative estimate at easily 600 job applications. I haven't been able to keep up with all of the companies I've applied to, but there are some where I was in application status limbo for several months before the position was canceled. The most noticeable have been GE and Boeing for that.

I graduated about 6 years ago know, (wow didn't realize it's been that long). I have a ba in economics. Which is basically useless career wise.

I weeded through all those online sites, went to dozens of interviews. I ended up finding a job off the career center job search, with my school. I called in cold. Sold myself, as a competent person. And got myself a job.

Stayed there for several years, but decided Houston wasn't it. And started searching in corpus. This time I logged all my job searches. Helped a lot. I split my resumes into groups based off what I was looking for took the time to Customize all the resumes with what I believed were the buzzwords in the job posting. Then I saved every posting with the resume for the posting.
    This was key. When I'd go in for an interview I'd review the posting. And make sure I brought up what they were looking for. Not over the top, but in the process of the interview, I'd direct my answers to the posting.
    If it was a big company, I'd be a little more over the top than with a small company.
    As a salesman, my shtick was brutal honesty. (Worked commission based retail through school) and I employed the same techniques in my interviews.

It works, I got several offers within 2 months of seriously looking. With probably 4 interviews.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    That sounds like a much more organized way of handling it. I'll start doing the same; tailoring my job to fit specific industries.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    That sounds like a much more organized way of handling it. I'll start doing the same; tailoring my job to fit specific industries.

It has been my experience, when working for people I would want to work for. That good bosses like honesty, a work ethic and common sense. If the position allows it, they'll train anyone...

If it were up to me, I'd have 4 lines on the resume.

I can do the job "as posted" well or I wouldn't have applied.
    I work hard.
    I'm not an idiot.
    I don't suffer fools.

But that doesn't quite work in today's world.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    It has been my experience, when working for people I would want to work for. That good bosses like honesty, a work ethic and common sense. If the position allows it, they'll train anyone...

If it were up to me, I'd have 4 lines on the resume.

I can do the job "as posted" well or I wouldn't have applied.
    I work hard.
    I'm not an idiot.
    I don't suffer fools.

But that doesn't quite work in today's world.

Apparently not.

On a side note, I've applied at Sherwin Alumina in Corpus Christi. Know of anyone who might work there? ;)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I know one guy, he hit me in his rv while getting off the ferry. My side mirror caused thousands of dollars of damage to his bus. So I don't think I'm a good contact.

Side note, don't obey ferry people's instructions. Because even if they're telling you to go forward, and you hit another car, they'll just tell you there is no money in the budget to pay for damage...

But he worked somewhere in central Texas. Was just down here on vacation.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I know one guy, he hit me in his rv while getting off the ferry. My side mirror caused thousands of dollars of damage to his bus. So I don't think I'm a good contact.

Side note, don't obey ferry people's instructions. Because even if they're telling you to go forward, and you hit another car, they'll just tell you there is no money in the budget to pay for damage...

But he worked somewhere in central Texas. Was just down here on vacation.

Rofl, that's good info to know.

Top Bottom