• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was decommissioning my 300prc this evening. Pissed that ammo is now $100 a box. It was $54 pre-prcflu. I thought I had “pressure” issues when I shot my last 7 rounds Monday. Put the gun on the cabinet and cleared the chamber for safety and saw this
    B25A51F0-1FCA-4FF1-8B0D-AD53AA4E5D4A.jpeg

I thought WTH! Went to screw the can off and saw this

FB0E3153-A7EB-4FBE-AB3C-CB52AAED9066.jpeg

Apparently this thing gave up the ghost. Looks like internal failure.

CBF1CF0C-9AA3-4925-8E46-F31E174829A7.jpeg

I’ve never had a hiccup with this thing. But I’m assuming too many 338lm and 300prc rounds. Curious to see how SiCo handles this. Just happy me and my buddy are alright. I never thought to check the can when I heard “pressure” issues.
    Hurley's Gold

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Doesn't look like a can failure at all, the tell-tale signs of a can issue just aren't there. (core separation, erosion, etc)

The bulge on the side is indicative of a baffle strike near the rear of the can, and the numerous endcap strikes at different spots mean you had unstable projectiles, the can was exceptionally lose (about to fall off loose), or you had something coming into contact with the projectiles early on. The stuff back in the rifle is from projectiles hitting the inside of the silencer.

Send it back to SCO and they'll recore the can.

The thing to look for is WHY you were having such wild projectiles. Can wasn't mounted properly or the barrel is cut bad would be the first two things to look at. After that would be an obstruction inside the silencer. (Squib round, debris, cleaning brush, GI Joe leg, etc.)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Doesn't look like a can failure at all, the tell-tale signs of a can issue just aren't there. (core separation, erosion, etc)

The bulge on the side is indicative of a baffle strike near the rear of the can, and the numerous endcap strikes at different spots mean you had unstable projectiles, the can was exceptionally lose (about to fall off loose), or you had something coming into contact with the projectiles early on. The stuff back in the rifle is from projectiles hitting the inside of the silencer.

The thing to look for is WHY you were having such wild projectiles. Can wasn't mounted properly or the barrel is cut bad would be the first two things to look at. After that would be an obstruction inside the silencer. (Squib round, debris, cleaning brush, GI Joe leg, etc.)
    Where is the bulge? (And before out of context thread).

I shared this a while ago with fireinthewire but if this is what you’re talking about SiCo says it’s normal and part of the design.
    EBC72CB2-C944-4228-AD37-73E8C7E7BE5A.jpeg

I didn’t notice it until cleaning. Sent them an email. This was the response:
    1AEF2FB9-7BEF-434C-B111-3834FEB3BA26.jpeg

Last edited:

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    On the can with the front picture, there are two things. SCO is referring to the baffle "clipping" there. Basically the mouse hole in the baffles.

The tube being set away from the core is a different thing. The core and tube aren't welded, so in the event of core damage (like the OP's picture surely has) then they can unscrew the core from the tube, put a brand new core, and send it back. Repair takes seconds and is functionally a new can, housing the original serial. The tube and core can have a bit of gap, but outer part is to look pretty and while legally necessary isn't functionally necessary.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    GI Joe leg
    Joshua- huge thanks for chiming in.

This is undoubtedly what happened. I have not had a single problem with this rifle/can setup. Had 200 rounds through the combo. It happened on the first shot.

This scenario has never crossed my mind. This will cause hyper vigilance going forward to this possibility. I have no idea as to how or what, but something was in there.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

Good to know I just got this can last week, I was in y'alls shop on Friday and was treated amazing even though I had never purchased anything from you until then. I bought the Bravo adapter and was hoping to get the piston for my octane 9 but its out of stock.

I'll be doing my future NFA stuff through you all. Thanks.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I'm interested in SilencerCo's response as well. I'm pretty close to wanting to buy their 46M can. I'd like a do-all can but only if the company's customer service is excellent. A baffle strike or "nah thats a feature" has me a little worried.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Good to know I just got this can last week, I was in y'alls shop on Friday and was treated amazing even though I had never purchased anything from you until then. I bought the Bravo adapter and was hoping to get the piston for my octane 9 but its out of stock.

I'll be doing my future NFA stuff through you all. Thanks.
    Ordered some direct thread mounts for my 36m and they came fast. I think I will go with them for my next purchase too. Thinking about the 46m or the Harvester

Last edited:
    Top Bottom