Hurley's Gold

Shotgun Season is Here.... is Your Shotgun Ready?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    You'd be surprised about how many folk's shotguns aren't........

Now is not the time to be cleaning and repairing your shotgun. The end of last hunting season was......

Working on several shotguns that have come in for cleaning/repair in the last 2 weeks....that should have been repaired and cleaned after the season last year. Of course everyone wants a 24 hour turn around.....some will be...some won't be....

2 Remingtons won't be.....waterproof soft cases are for transporting your firearm to and from the hunt. Not for storage under the bed for the last year...closed tight. They are horribly rusty. I will be able to salvage them as working guns, but pretty they will never be again.

Broken pencils for plugs, no O-rings (or so brittle they are falling apart) for the gas piston (on Remingtons), broken extractors, shell latches need restaking, missing sight beads. choke tubes that have never been removed and are now the shits to get out..use grease on the threads....not oil!!! Remove and clean the threads after the season is over.....not the beginning of the next season......I sound like a broken record.......

Don't over oil the trigger mechanisms, it attracts dirt, grime and feathers.....lightly lubed is ok.......

Shotguns will serve you and probably your children and grandchildren if properly maintained and care for.......
    Gun Zone Deals

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I always used dowel rods instead of pencils, but my Beretta came with a little metal rod that I always re-install for dove season and take back out afterwards.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    ..waterproof soft cases are for transporting your firearm to and from the hunt. Not for storage under the bed for the last year...closed tight. They are horribly rusty. I will be able to salvage them as working guns, but pretty they will never be again.
    I got a Fabarm shotgun at a really good price from a friend who didn’t know this. FYI Charbroil FLat Black grill paint is almost a perfect match for Fabarm’s RS26 finish. After the rust is removed of course.

choke tubes that have never been removed and are now the shits to get out..use grease on the threads....not oil!!! Remove and clean the threads after the season is over.....not the beginning of the next season......
    I have helped several people remove stuck choke tubes that hadn’t been removed in years.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Working on 2 in the same conditions...
    Garage stored :)
    9122524bce460c01e0b41ee5889a9eb3.jpg
    fd4227a9636e499c25c0228d91af4939.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 9122524bce460c01e0b41ee5889a9eb3.jpg
      9122524bce460c01e0b41ee5889a9eb3.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 227
    • fd4227a9636e499c25c0228d91af4939.jpg
      fd4227a9636e499c25c0228d91af4939.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 205

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Plastic coat hangers make great extended magazine tube plugs.
    If a Game Warden was to see that extended magazine they would shit themselves! Why even bring it into the field if it aint fully loaded? The gun will swing better without it. I doubt the longest part of a plastic coat hanger would be enough.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If a Game Warden was to see that extended magazine they would shit themselves! Why even bring it into the field if it aint fully loaded? The gun will swing better without it. I doubt the longest part of a plastic coat hanger would be enough.
    Part of a plastic coat hanger works fine in my SBE II with a mag tube extension. Think it's a +3 but not sure.

The extra ounce of the empty tube doesn't seem to affect the swing.

Doesn't matter if it's fully loaded or not. You can only hold 3 rounds whether the mag holds 2 or 100.

I have this feeling the Game Warden is gonna check your capacity if you have an extended tube or not so what difference does it make?

You want to leave your favorite shotgun at home or change out parts then have at it. I will just throw my plug in and get to hunting.

Top Bottom