• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Key to semiautomatic firearms is lubrication. Guns will shoot pretty dirty, but they need to be lubed.

SA shotguns, AR’s, pistols, etc. All will run dirty.

Now that doesn’t mean you can fill them with mud and sand and they run. But carbon and soot? Yes…for several thousands of rounds easily.

Of course, I’m talking stock guns of good quality. Start messing with internals and springs, and they become more finicky.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I hope your kidding...... shoot enough 3 gun matches and you'll see every brand choke. No pun intended

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    Sure, but how many guns that choke have lightened springs and aftermarket parts?

Most guns are more reliable if left stock. Depends on mods, but competition guns with lighter springs and mods to reduce recoil also reduce reliability.

Folks often complain of “over-gassed”
    Factory AR’s. Daniel Defense comes to mind. But they make sure there is plenty of gas hitting the bolt in order to cycle the gun after many rounds of dirty steel ammo. Mess with the gas system or modify the recoil spring or buffer weight to soften the recoil and you are probably making the gun less reliable under adverse conditions.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    The OP asked about shotguns. The majority of people that shoot shotguns in 3 gun don't lighten shit. At one point about a decade ago smith's would lighten bolts but that was a fad.

If you want to talk about ARs. My original 16 yr old JP AR15. It has lmos and the gas block opened and is one click from being a single shot rifle. It ran like a champ for 5k rnds between shooting. I think I did this a couple of times. Only thing I would do is clean the barrel for major matches

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Good video. No extraneous fluff, just down to business. I like that, especially since I watch almost all YT videos at 2X speed.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    IMHO any gun that can't do 1000+ rounds between cleaning is junk or a maybe a "safe queen" if you fancy pretty guns.
    Oy vey!

IMNSHO - A clean gun is a happy gun, especially when speaking about a weapon upon which your life may depend. A happy gun may - someday, somewhere, and somehow - save your life or bag some sorely needed game.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    The OP asked about shotguns. The majority of people that shoot shotguns in 3 gun don't lighten shit. At one point about a decade ago smith's would lighten bolts but that was a fad.

If you want to talk about ARs. My original 16 yr old JP AR15. It has lmos and the gas block opened and is one click from being a single shot rifle. It ran like a champ for 5k rnds between shooting. I think I did this a couple of times. Only thing I would do is clean the barrel for major matches

Same same….shotguns aren’t special. I shoot a CZ712 and only clean it when it is just so dirty it oozes crap. I just spray it down with Lucas or Ballistol and it shoots pretty much any cheap loads fine.

I don’t always keep count…but I know it will run beyond a thousand rounds. It’s nasty by the time I take it apart, but it’s still running cheap low brass target rounds without issues.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom