• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well this thread has derailed a bit but I'm still enjoying all the insight and opinions/knowledge.

As far as pump gun experience I've got a little. I've put thousands of rounds through Remington 870s, Mossy 500s as well as several others. I'm no operator or former military but I think anyone wanting to become proficient with a weapon needs to put rounds through it at a comfortable pace and style that suits them.

From there a little ammo testing and skill development should ensue. If I'm going to bet my life on a gun it better do what I need it to at the range. My Winchester sxp jammed up solid a few months ago on some black aces buckshot. It was a friendly reminder, test, test and test again.

I don't think I'll ever be a competition level shotgunner but I'm pretty sure I can capably defend myself with one. Since I being honest I'll also admit I partial to the 870s action release lever being the most ergonomic and comfortable in the pump gun market.
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well this thread has derailed a bit but I'm still enjoying all the insight and opinions/knowledge.

As far as pump gun experience I've got a little. I've put thousands of rounds through Remington 870s, Mossy 500s as well as several others. I'm no operator or former military but I think anyone wanting to become proficient with a weapon needs to put rounds through it at a comfortable pace and style that suits them.

From there a little ammo testing and skill development should ensue. If I'm going to bet my life on a gun it better do what I need it to at the range. My Winchester sxp jammed up solid a few months ago on some black aces buckshot. It was a friendly reminder, test, test and test again.

I don't think I'll ever be a competition level shotgunner but I'm pretty sure I can capably defend myself with one. Since I being honest I'll also admit I partial to the 870s action release lever being the most ergonomic and comfortable in the pump gun market.
    >

OK, fine, for sport shooting, maybe.

But, when training another for what would involve life-threatening situations, the training should be directed to the proper, most efficient uses of the implement.

We are all familiar with the single shot / burst or full auto selectors on common military rifles. So imagine a ”single shot” vs) repeater ”switch”; and they are using a rapid repeater as a single shot weapon.

BTW, the only places I’ve seen the problem is large urban areas, where trainees have little or no prior firearms experience,

Everyone using a pump for defense of Life should know how to properly operate it.

leVieux

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    I was shooting a charity sporting clays course last year with my trusty Beretta 391 semi autoalong with some guys that had various pumps and one had a very expensive o/u. About a third the way thru the man with the $32k Kreigoff o/u asks me what do you call folks that bring a pump gun to the sporting clays range? Spectators! It was pretty funny at the time as those pumps were not running well at all.

I have a few pumps that I like very much. I would love to find a good ithica 37. Mossberg and mavericks fit me better than remingtons ever did. I do keep a couple rigged for home defense and my wife and I practice with them every couple of months.

The benelli nova pump is able to run very fast as the action starts the slide ope ing after every shot.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I trap for both NSCA shoots, charity and corporate fun shoots and shoot registered Sporting and Skeet.
    All types of shotguns are brought to fun shoots. At the fun shoots all of the trappers are advised to let the shooters know that we are willing to help shooters that may not be experienced with shotguns. They may have just borrowed one for the day. We stress safety and regularly help participants load and unload their gun.
    Of course any experienced pump shotgunner can shoot sporting clays well. It is not much of a handicap. I shoot pumps guns for fun, not when the scoresheet is out.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I trap for both NSCA shoots, charity and corporate fun shoots and shoot registered Sporting and Skeet.
    All types of shotguns are brought to fun shoots. At the fun shoots all of the trappers are advised to let the shooters know that we are willing to help shooters that may not be experienced with shotguns. They may have just borrowed one for the day. We stress safety and regularly help participants load and unload their gun.
    Of course any experienced pump shotgunner can shoot sporting clays well. It is not much of a handicap. I shoot pumps guns for fun, not when the scoresheet is out.
    <>
    I hunted with doubleguns for years, a Sauer & an L C Smith.

With heavy wingshooting, I could do better with a Mod. 12 than with BOTH doubles and a “loader”.

Your choice. . . .

Top Bottom