• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I’ve had quite a few around the yard the last few years, digging under stuff and just rutting the yard up.

22lr never seems to have a problem. Shot placement may not get them first shot, but never had anything ricochet. I read several stories online about it happening but to me there seemed to be an ingredient missing that the stories must have included but was left out, alcohol.

Their armor is tough but not bulletproof.
    The armor is also very flexible. I would not immediately call bullshit on a ricochet story off of an armadillo.
    Lynx Defense

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    A couple of days ago we caught an armadillo digging up under our propane tank. Well, I shot it with a 9mm (147gr Gold Dot at around 950 FPS), and it took off like a bat out of hell. I was 100% sure I hit it, but I could never find any blood and I never found it despite looking for around an hour and then some more later in the day. I saw a very dark spot at about it's mid point as it was running off, and it looked a lot like a wound. I figured it was just a bad shot and it went off and died somewhere. I felt BAD about it, I don't want the thing to go off and suffer like that.

Well, fast forward to today and the damn thing was back digging under the propane tank. I grab the 9mm again, pop it at 30 yards, and quickly finish it off with another round.

I had not missed my shot the other day. It apparently glanced off the side and didn't do any serious damage to the thing. I know it's the same dillo because it has that same dark spot on it's back. I've heard about rounds ricocheting off these things, but it was always smaller, slow rounds. I didn't figure a 9mm defense load would do it.

I think next time, I'll use a bigger gun...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Those are pretty tasty off the smoker.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I used to sneak up behind them and scare the bejeezus out of them. They jump about a foot off the ground trying to run in midair.

When I was younger and faster we would bet on catching them. I had my technique down. Throw a stick on the other side of them and they almost always ran right to me. A quick grab of the tail as it ran by is all it took.

We usually let them go, but we did cook a couple in the ground. Pretty tasty.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unless they are being a nuisance ( digging in cow fields , etc) I leave them be. I think they are pretty neat animals.

If I have to dispatch them , .308 seems to do the trick humanely.

Yep.

I have dispatched a few, but I leave them alone unless I just have to get rid of them. Enjoy watching them root up the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Say what you will, but that 9mm bounced off that armadillo. I'm not crazy, and I hadn't been hitting the vodak. Maybe it was the angle it was shot at?

I don't worry about the things if they're out in the field where they belong. I'm not too keen on them digging up the yard, and especially digging up under our 100 gallon propane tank. As for eating them, you gents go right ahead. I'll eat many a thing, but leprosy scares the crap outta me.

BTW, the propane tank was behind me and to my right when I shot.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    BTW, the propane tank was behind me and to my right when I shot.

Let the evidence show that the tank was back and to the right.
    522cc69953913c88cc05e914ab6862d2.gif

Attachments

• 522cc69953913c88cc05e914ab6862d2.gif
      522cc69953913c88cc05e914ab6862d2.gif
      1.2 MB · Views: 208

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    A very long time ago in my youth you tried to dispatch a few. 22LR always seemed to just piss them off and they'd run off growling. Bird shot took 1 round from a 20 gauge and 2 rounds from a 12 gauge to end it's fate.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I don’t understand why people shoot armadillos unless they are causing damage somewhere. They are beneficial creatures for in a lot of ways.

When they’re digging up your yard, they’re eating grubs. And they don’t do any permanent damage to the yard.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I used to sneak up behind them and scare the bejeezus out of them. They jump about a foot off the ground trying to run in midair.
    I shot one with a bb gun once when I was a kid. It looked like it jumped 3 feet straight in the air. They have an impressive vertical leap considering how short their legs are :laughing:

22lr never seems to have a problem.
    I have my grandmother's .22 which she called her 'dillo gun. She hated them because they would dig up her garden. Knowing her she was probably shooting them in the head...

Top Bottom