• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AWKIII

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Wortham Tx.
    I have been a Deputy Sheriff for six years and just got a "big" raise to $16/hr. My wife Has been an EMT Basic for over a year and she just got her "big" raise and make $9/hr. I dont expect anything special for being in Law Enforcement. I chose this profession and love my job. One thing worth more than any discount is when a person walks up to me and tells me they appreciate the job i do. I have read all of the post and need to get one thing off of my chest. People severely underestimate the job of the EMT. They have to deal with people that you would walk on the other side of the street to get away from. They see things daily that would make you cry and be unable to deal with it, much less go to work the next day and do it again. Have any of you ever seen a dead baby sticking through the windshield of a car? It takes a special person to be a cop or EMT. We choose this type of profession because we want to help people and we care about people. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to repay that favor with a discounted price at a store. Most of the places around where I work do not offer discounts. Just my two cents, Andy

krazykat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    First, let me clarify. I am going to vent on a topic that we all deal with. There is absolutely no intention of offending anyone. It's kind of a question I guess.

When I go shopping there are a number of stores that ask at the register: "Are you law enforcement, EMT, firefighter, military or school teacher?" If so, you get a discount. (varies depending on store).

My normal reply is: "No, I'm the tax payer that pays their salaries."

To which they turn red and say, "Sorry, that doesn't count."

It's not that I don't appreciate the services rendered by these people. BUT, enough already. The exception is the military. They don't make squat. But I have never had the salaries of EMT or police, especially in Austin area. They get paid really well, with benefits that I could only dream of.

Over all, government employees now get 1/3 to 1/2 higher incomes than the private sector for the same job. The government's reply is, "The private sector better step up." The challenge is, we have to pay taxes.

I'm self employed. My policy is to give NON-government employees and business owners the best price I can afford. Military people get a little better. Government employees pay full price. Politicians pay cash in advance.

Am I just twisted?

First off... where are these stores? I'd like to take advantage of these discounts. :D Just kidding. I'm a LEO and no one ever asks me that question when I go shopping.

Your comment about salaries may be true for larger cities, but not true for most departments. I work for a small rural department. We don't make squat, but I am fine with that. I could go work in a larger city, but I want to raise my kids in a small town.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom