Patriot Mobile

Shopping for an AK-47/103. What are some good brands I should look at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kong Sheng Han

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Hey everyone. I decided that I’m going to take a short break from collecting WWII era firearms and want to buy a new semi-automatic rifle.

I like the AK platform and want one that shoots 7.62x39. The rifles aren’t marked up as much as ARs, it seems, and ammo is more easily found compared to 5.56, so that’s a plus. For a 47, I think a classic full length rifle with fixed stock and wood furniture is what I want.

I’m not familiar with the AK market. So, if I’m trying to stay below $1,000 for a new rifle, what are some reputable brands I should look at? I was looking at a Zastava M70 yesterday, but it went OOS before I could buy it. It appears that WASR is also a good brand. Thanks.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Hey everyone. I decided that I’m going to take a short break from collecting WWII era firearms and want to buy a new semi-automatic rifle.

I like the AK platform and want one that shoots 7.62x39. The rifles aren’t marked up as much as ARs, it seems, and ammo is more easily found compared to 5.56, so that’s a plus. For a 47, I think a classic full length rifle with fixed stock and wood furniture is what I want.

I’m not familiar with the AK market. So, if I’m trying to stay below $1,000 for a new rifle, what are some reputable brands I should look at? I was looking at a Zastava M70 yesterday, but it went OOS before I could buy it. It appears that WASR is also a good brand. Thanks.
    I also wanted an AK, but after researching I decided against the WASR, and Zastava was maybe slightly better.

I nearly bought an Arsenal for $1900, that is, until I started looking into the M+M M10x. Now that's not an AK, more of a breed of it's own, but I'm happy with it.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of it, and how much you are willing to spend. Do your research, you may find exactly what you're looking for.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you can find one in your price range, get an Arsenal or a Saiga.

Most likely they won't have wooden furniture on them, but that's easily remedied.

Zastavas are good, but they won't have a chrome-lined barrel. That will decrease barrel life, but slightly improves accuracy. Most likely you won't shoot it enough to notice either. Try to find one with a RPK receiver (1.5mm) like this...

WASRs are rough but good rifles. You used to be able to find them for $299 many years ago.

Steer clear of anything made by IO or anything built (not imported, but actually built) by Century. I have a C39 Centurion that is actually a great-shooting AK, but its build quality is questionable and they have known issues. Many people don't experience any problems with them, and I have been lucky so far, but it doesn't get shot much.

Right now AK prices are highly inflated. If you can wait, you'll more likely find a better deal unless the elections go the way of the Democrats.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Maadi was made by Egyptians on original Russian machinery given to them by the Soviets. Some were even recalled by the ATF for having an F/A hole that was filled in with weld. ATF said that made it too easy to convert.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I like the Vz 58 - the Czech version of the AK. It has some refinements. In Vietnam, the Vz model was found with NVA special units were armed with the Vz 58s.

However, the inexpensive models are not always built well (Century Arms) and the well made models go for $1k or more - Technik for example.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I like the Vz 58 - the Czech version of the AK. It has some refinements. In Vietnam, the Vz model was found with NVA special units were armed with the Vz 58s.

However, the inexpensive models are not always built well (Century Arms) and the well made models go for $1k or more - Technik for example.

Absolutely great rifles, but not Kalashnikovs. The only thing they share in common with the AK-47 is the 7.62x39 round. Everything else, including the aluminum magazines, cannot be used in an AK-47!

Still, having spent time with the Slovak 5. Pluk špeciálneho určenia (5th Regiment of Special Purpose) back in the early 90s, I can attest that the vz.58 is an outstanding firearm!

The Czechpoint or Technik models are nice and original, but cost well over a thousand these days...

The Century versions (called the Vz2008) aren't actually that bad, I have one and it's been a great shooter; but they're also not 100% original. They can still be found for under a grand...

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Can you show me evidence of this?

Newer production ZPAP ones do have chrome-line barrels.

True Zastavas (M70AB2, M70B1, etc.) don't.

If it doesn't have provisions for a grenade launcher (i.e. gas gas cut-off block), it's not a real Zastava which is one of the reasons the modern company is 145 million euros in debt. Zastava Arms the most indebted defense industry company in Serbia...

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I have the wants for an AK-E or AK 103 from PSA. Both look pretty promising. The AK-103 with the 74 brake looks sharp IMO.

AK-103

1602537978265.png

AK-E

My favorite version:

1602537958996.png

Both are $$$ but cheaper than an Arsenal. Alas I'm a poor boy so I continue to have the wants.

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Newer production ZPAP ones do have chrome-line barrels.

True Zastavas (M70AB2, M70B1, etc.) don't.

If it doesn't have provisions for a grenade launcher (i.e. gas gas cut-off block), it's not a real Zastava which is one of the reasons the modern company is 145 million euros in debt. Zastava Arms the most indebted defense industry company in Serbia...
    Not that part.

Kong Sheng Han

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up crossing out WASRs bc they are way overinflated right now. Apparently the Zastava M70s were going for around $800 pre-rona, when they didn’t have chrome-lined barrels and 1.5mm bulged trunions.

I ended up going for a new M70, since I couldn’t find what I wanted, used or new. After tax, shipping, and transfer fee, it’ll be around $950, which isn’t too bad IMO. I was tempted to buy a PSA AK, but they just weren’t worth it to me. $750 for a GF3 with ugly poly furniture, $800 for a GF3 with wood furniture, and $1000 for an AK-103, all before shipping and tax. I think the M70 was a better buy. I couldn’t justify paying more for an Arsenal rifle..just way out of my price range.

Will post photos when I get it!

Kong Sheng Han

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    I have the wants for an AK-E or AK 103 from PSA. Both look pretty promising. The AK-103 with the 74 brake looks sharp IMO.

AK-103

View attachment 230157

AK-E

My favorite version:

View attachment 230156

Both are $$$ but cheaper than an Arsenal. Alas I'm a poor boy so I continue to have the wants.

I think AKs with triangle stocks look really cool. I imagine they’re not very comfy though. I saw the PSA 103 several times, but I could get myself to pay $1k for it. I want to see how they’ll compare with the Kalashnikov USA 103s.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Can you show me evidence of this?
    Chrome is harder than any steel blend.
    Although some nitride finishes claim to be harder but the question becomes corrosion resistance which is one of the things AKs are famous for.

That all said if not in a jungle shooting corrosive ammo will you ever notice a difference or reap the benefit? But, we dont prep or plan for safe queen like environments so if I had the choice I would by chrome lined barrels. Still I dont really have heartburn over buying some that arent.

Wishey washey? I know.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a mak90 but my vz58s are some of my favorite semi autos I've ever owned. My dtechnik is a joy to shoot even without any modern sights. The vz2008 is solid but runs a much tighter chamber. This thread is another good reminder that I need to finish a pair of VZ 58 folder builds I started years ago with ORF receivers and mil surp kits.

I'm also eyeballing zastavas, just waiting to get one for under $800. I try to stay disciplined about my cost thresholds.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m late but my two cents:

ok choice for the Serbian. She will be straight and the rivets gtg. Sold mine a few years ago. Don’t regret it. It’s just not the time to buy but if you feel you need it hey...I get it.

As for Romanian types they are hit or miss. most couldn’t hit jack. I had one that I regret trading. Shot great.

If you could have done so, I would have gotten the best and imo that’s a sam7. My sam7sf will never be sold.

Saiga rifles can shoot fine for an ak. Here’s a group at 100 yards with monarch hp’s using a 4 power.

FYI the hostage was a prick.

E89D0583-5AE0-4CAF-B256-7DAA5436593B.jpeg

imntxs564

M1 Carbine Collector & ALL Surplus Made For It !!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Corpus Christi

This one here is definitely going to be listed For Sale or Trade it for a WW2 USGI M1 Carbine. Once I get everything together like All the Goodies that were given to me from Friends of mine when I bought it then I will list it. This will be Priced to Sell or Trade Quickly. It's a Saiga AK-47 Mod. IZ132L Made at the Famous Izhmash Plant that was moved to the U.S. and therefore the New Ones have a U.S. Mod. #. I have over 7 Magazines and half of box of Tula Ammo with Slings and Other Cool Stuff. I rarely Shot it. I only bought it because these were the last ones Made in Russia. I was going to list earlier after I built my M4 Shorty .223/5.56 but waited. I'm going to make Somebody Real Happy with the Price after all Christmas will be here before we know it.
    20201016_192929~2.jpg
    20201016_193015~4.jpg
    20201016_192946~2.jpg
    20201016_193015~2.jpg
    20201016_193025~3.jpg
    20201016_193032~3.jpg
    Polish_20201016_195223086.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom