• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txclimber2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I am sure this has been discussed but being new to the area, have to ask. What are some of the better ranges in SA? Any that allow or don't allow defensive shooting? Safety considerations, etc. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
    ARJ Defense ad

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    The only ranges I've been to out here so far are

-A Place To Shoot: good range but their rifle range has been shut down due to an idiotic lawsuit, handgun and shotgun (trap and skeet) are still open for business though but its kind of a drive for me. I think it was between $8 and $12/person.

-Bass Pro Shop: decent indoor range with 6 lanes, (4) 15 yard and (2) 25 yard. Cons of it are you have to call and make an appointment to shoot (don't be late or you'll get bumped) and there's a 30 minute time limit. It's $10 per person or $100 for a year membership as much as you wanna shoot as long as you call and schedule it (closed Mondays and Tuesdays)

-Cedar Ridge: great outdoor range, $12/person as many guns as you wanna shoot and all day if you want (though if it fires a shotgun shell of any caliber you have to shoot that at the shotgun lane only). You'll typically get your own shooting area depending on the range you wish to shoot at and how many people you have in your group.

-Deitz Gun Range (New Braunfels): another great outdoor range but no private lanes (seperate pistol and rifle areas) but the rifle range goes from 25 yards to 200 I believe, we had our last San Antonio group range day there.

I think I will either be checking out The Bullet Hole or Blackhawk Gun Range next, Bullet Hole rents guns (to include full auto) and Blackhawk charges $8/gun. That's all I can personally offer right now.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Most of the ranges in San Antonio charge by the gun except for the Bullet Hole. They have a single fee for as many guns as you can carry. There are people who have bad feelings for the Bullet Hole over things that have happened in the past but the last few years there has been a change in personel and they've made a lot of physical improvements to the facility. However, their rifle range sucks because the targets are hung from a cord/rope that is stretched in front of the berm. With this arrangement the target moves with the slightest breeze. The rifle range at A Place to Shoot is superior but as was mentioned their rifle range is closed for the time being.

You'll find people who will have something bad to say about any range in the area. The thing to do would be to try them and make up your own mind.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Most of the ranges in San Antonio charge by the gun except for the Bullet Hole. They have a single fee for as many guns as you can carry. There are people who have bad feelings for the Bullet Hole over things that have happened in the past but the last few years there has been a change in personel and they've made a lot of physical improvements to the facility. However, their rifle range sucks because the targets are hung from a cord/rope that is stretched in front of the berm. With this arrangement the target moves with the slightest breeze. The rifle range at A Place to Shoot is superior but as was mentioned their rifle range is closed for the time being.

You'll find people who will have something bad to say about any range in the area. The thing to do would be to try them and make up your own mind.
    you arent hanging your target right then. thats what the paracord on the bottom is for. slide the bottom of the target in the loop and it stays still.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There is a threadon this somewhere on here I believe, search a little more and you'll find all the info you need!

Also, a good answer souls require knowing what side of town you're on.

And welcome!

Cheers! M2

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    you arent hanging your target right then. thats what the paracord on the bottom is for. slide the bottom of the target in the loop and it stays still.

I do that and the target still moves in the wind. Sometimes not much but at 100yrds an inch or two makes a lot of difference when shooting for accuracy.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I like Cedar Ridge, especially during the week. Weekends can be tough if they are having an event so you should check ahead.

It's still do-able though, went Sunday but saw in their website they had something going on so I called them and they told me it would be over at 2, we got there at about 230 and not very many people there.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Just visited Bracken Range on Tuesday this week.

It was a good day to shoot and cost me all of $8.00 for one gun; no time limit.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I do that and the target still moves in the wind. Sometimes not much but at 100yrds an inch or two makes a lot of difference when shooting for accuracy.

There always seems to be some extra para-cord lying on the ground. Lash that to a rock the size of your fist, and also to the bottom horizontal support. Put rock right under target and tighten scrap cord til taught. Works like a charm and requires no tools.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    There always seems to be some extra para-cord lying on the ground. Lash that to a rock the size of your fist, and also to the bottom horizontal support. Put rock right under target and tighten scrap cord til taught. Works like a charm and requires no tools.

I've thought of taking a couple bricks along to do something like that.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Best public range in this area, IMO, is Bexar Community on Trainer Hale off of I-10. Cedar Ridge is okay once you get past the "orientation" session.

Yeah Cedar Ridge left a bad taste in my mouth the first time I went (about a year and a half ago) dealt with the old man for the range rules part and the old lady kept driving around in the golf cart and calling cease fire to do stuff but this time around was fairly pleasant and absolutely enjoyable, granted this was only my second time there they seemed to have gotten some new employees (younger guys) who were pretty cool about the whole range rules spiel, made sure we knew that we couldn't shoot any kind of shotgun rounds on the range we were gonna be on and what to do/not do during a cease fire and sent us on our way. I really need to get out to check out Bexar Community range, if anyone plans on heading out there anytime in the near future let me know and if I can I'll tag along (will bring boomsticks )

Top Bottom