• ...and so much more!
  • jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Hello Austin members. I am looking for an outdoor shooting range near Dripping Springs. My 11 year old grandson is wanting to learn how to handle and shoot handguns, maybe my AR15 too. I prefer to teach him outdoors rather than a place like Red's that is crowded. That's just me. My son is talking with some friends that may have some land where we could do a little training but I thought some of you forum friends may have some input.
    Thanks,
    Jimbo
    Hurley's Gold

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Also a bit of a drive, but the Austin Rifle Club near Manor has a great setup. It is membership only, but you get 365 day access. If interested would be glad to provide details.

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    +1 for Lonestar. They have a friendly staff, nice ranges out to 100 yards. They have recently remodeled and upgraded the shooting area with provided shade and picnic areas. The yearly membership is cheap, and there's some dang good barbeque joints just a few miles down the highway in Lockhart.

TXDano

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 17, 2016
    Rockport, Texas
    Hello Austin members. I am looking for an outdoor shooting range near Dripping Springs. My 11 year old grandson is wanting to learn how to handle and shoot handguns, maybe my AR15 too. I prefer to teach him outdoors rather than a place like Red's that is crowded. That's just me. My son is talking with some friends that may have some land where we could do a little training but I thought some of you forum friends may have some input.
    Thanks,
    Jimbo

I live in Dripping as well and make the trek to Lonestar 2 or 3 times a month but I really do like that range. You may have seen a group had been trying to develop a shooting center in Hays county for quite a while but looks like they are history. http://www.haysshootingsports.com/

dt300mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Austin
    Best of the West, a little west of Liberty Hill. Outdoors, you get a shooting "bay" and are left to yourself in your own private shooting range. The bays vary in size up to 100 yards deep with high berms all around except for the mouth of the bay where you enter. My home away from home couple of times a week. Plus several really good places to eat up & down hwy 29
    http://www.texasshootingrange.com/

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    Best of the West, a little west of Liberty Hill. Outdoors, you get a shooting "bay" and are left to yourself in your own private shooting range. The bays vary in size up to 100 yards deep with high berms all around except for the mouth of the bay where you enter. My home away from home couple of times a week. Plus several really good places to eat up & down hwy 29
    http://www.texasshootingrange.com/

This. Go and get a bay and you can take your time and teach him to shoot in peace. I built a few target stands with PVC and go there every so often. You can shoot and move, draw from the holster and so forth.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX

Lonestar used to be dicks about picking up brass - to the point you had to tell them how much you planned on shooting.
    Since I reload I ask folks next to me if they reload and if not can I have their brass. Lonestar has problems with that so I don't go there.
    I'm not sure they are as strident as they used to be, but they still state you need to "contact" staff if you're picking up brass and can only pick up as much as you shoot.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Lonestar used to be dicks about picking up brass - to the point you had to tell them how much you planned on shooting.
    Since I reload I ask folks next to me if they reload and if not can I have their brass. Lonestar has problems with that so I don't go there.
    I'm not sure they are as strident as they used to be, but they still state you need to "contact" staff if you're picking up brass and can only pick up as much as you shoot.
    You are full of shit. LSGR has NEVER had issues with folks picking up their brass. The issue comes when some neckbeard shows up with his whole family( only necky is shooting) and brings one box of ammo and has extending family filling five gallon buckets of brass.

All they have ever asked is that you take reasonable steps to recover your own brass. Put a sheet ups to deflect it, brass catchers , put a sheet down where most of your brass falls, or take a sharpie and mark your brass.

Hundreds of shooters that reload have had no issues whatsoever with LSGR and their policies.

Last edited:

EP429

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Bastrop
    A little late to the party, but I've never had an issue with Lonestar staff, always been great. Their .22 steel target range is cheap fun too.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    You are full of shit. LSGR has NEVER had issues with folks picking up their brass. The issue comes when some neckbeard shows up with his whole family( only necky is shooting) and brings one box of ammo and has extending family filling five gallon buckets of brass.

All they have ever asked is that you take reasonable steps to recover your own brass. Put a sheet ups to deflect it, brass catchers , put a sheet down where most of your brass falls, or take a sharpie and mark your brass.

Hundreds of shooters that reload have had no issues whatsoever with LSGR and their policies.

REALLY? i just joined and was told the exact same thing he stated about picking up brass. they were courteous about it, but i was told the same thing. this is no reflection on their policies, just you telling someone they are full of shit when they "offend" you. maybe you need to examine your prejudices against "rednecks".

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    REALLY? i just joined and was told the exact same thing he stated about picking up brass. they were courteous about it, but i was told the same thing. this is no reflection on their policies, just you telling someone they are full of shit when they "offend" you. maybe you need to examine your prejudices against "rednecks".

They have never been dicks about picking up your own brass. If you are such an entitled little snowflake that you think you deserve to collect brass that is not fired by you, or the group you are with, maybe you should find the gun range run by Bernie Sanders.

By your own statement " they were courteous about explaining their policy"

By that, I mean that you too are full of shit. Have a great day, princess.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    wow. sounds like someone had a bad experience while shooting her pink pistol in the company of some REAL shooters. did a big bad neck make fun of you scrounging ur .22 brass? maybe u need some hot chocolate and safe place to "pet ur puppy" and get over it. aren't u the faggot that defended the BLM group that was looting stores awhile back and was crying because "you people" always brought up race when you defended the scum rioters. putting on that mall cop uniform doesnt make you a cop, just a wanna be. and ur a lying piece of shit when u say u have seen anyone picking up 5 gal. buckets of someones brass. so when u wanna whine about something, at least make it about something real, not whatever makes u cry and suk ur thumb in the middle of the night. or whatever it is u suk on when ur dreaming about " you people". ur a pussy hiding behind a computer screen and always be.

Top Bottom