• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you are outside the city limits in this case the city of Burnet.

Can you shoot rifles and pistols if you have 5 acres of land ? and are 300 yrds from any buildings that are not your own ?

And for a final answer who would I contact to find out for sure I know asking a sheriff would in most cases be pointless as each one will have a different answer.
    Texas SOT

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you are outside the city limits in this case the city of Burnet.

Can you shoot rifles and pistols if you have 5 acres of land ? and are 300 yrds from any buildings that are not your own ?

And for a final answer who would I contact to find out for sure I know asking a sheriff would in most cases be pointless as each one will have a different answer.

DA's office might be better than the sheriff, or if you call the sheriff or constable, ask to speak to a captain at least, get their name (or record the damn call) and IF the po-po come out, you have that to fall back on?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Goddämn, I hate this question, because nobody actually reads and understands the code.

This is covered in Sec. 229.002 of the Local Government Code.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm.

If you’re not in the city limits or ETJ, then county ordinances apply (if adopted). If none apply or are adopted, are you subject to deed restrictions or are part of a platted subdivision? Those could unearth dealbreakers, too.

If none of any of those apply, then also remember discharge of a firearm is subject to TPWD game laws at certain times as well.

LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    Here I was thinking I MIGHT have to get 50 acres at the top of the market...
    I need to do some more research, but anyone have some LINKS?!?!?!?

I don't NEED 50 acres, but could afford the land, septic, and a well, IF I sell my Commiefornia house at the top of the market, but then I would have to probably finance the home-build...

Don't worry about ME...
    the Thordsen'-stock switching to NORMAL pistol-grips as soon as we land with the moving truck...
    LIKE THAT F'N DAY!!! :D

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Goddämn, I hate this question, because nobody actually reads and understands the code.

This is covered in Sec. 229.002 of the Local Government Code.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm.

If you’re not in the city limits or ETJ, then county ordinances apply (if adopted). If none apply or are adopted, are you subject to deed restrictions or are part of a platted subdivision? Those could unearth dealbreakers, too.

If none of any of those apply, then also remember discharge of a firearm is subject to TPWD game laws at certain times as well.
    I knew a guy that has dealt with this at great lengths.

Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    The game warden for the county was the best person I called, when I was looking for info. Said 5 acres was enough, as long as the bullet doesn't cross the property line. To be safer I just dispatch Snakes/varmints using a 22, and go to the range if I want to shoot.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Google gave the answer in a couple seconds.
    7b1d4a41b8fd87f6cac7340f28ba0fa7.jpg

Just needs to be 10 plus acres.
    And meet all the other criteria set out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    I have 17 acres in Caldwell Co. and spoke with the Sheriffs Office and the game warden to confirm everything was good and they said 10 acres or more and you are good to go. My neighbor kept saying that shooting at night was a federal offense which the Sheriffs Office and game warded stated is not true.

The Sergeant I spoke with also stated that even though it is legal to shoot, sometimes neighbors will call them to complain. He stated they usually send a Deputy out to make contact and make sure everyone is being safe.

Top Bottom