• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    This question has been asked in general and answered numerous times, search is your friend. Texas Local Government Code 229 is a starting place to search for.

There’s also @andre3k’s thread on east texas land purchase where it’s answered in detail as well.
    As much as I thought I would shoot on my land I rarely do it. When I do shoot its normally suppressed. I only have a couple of neighbors and I know one could care less about gunfire but it's so quiet and peaceful out there I shoot more at my local ranges. Eventually I'll dig a pond and use the dirt from that to build up a good berm.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
    Guns International

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    As much as I thought I would shoot on my land I rarely do it. When I do shoot its normally suppressed. I only have a couple of neighbors and I know one could care less about gunfire but it's so quiet and peaceful out there I shoot more at my local ranges. Eventually I'll dig a pond and use the dirt from that to build up a good berm.

I hear ya (maybe I don't, suppressor you know? LOL)...I've got a bunch of new toys that have only been tested for function, never been shot....yet! I'm just not a fan of going to normal ranges. Have always wanted my own playground (on many levels). Your thread is VERY cool! How are things going with your land, setup, etc?

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I hear ya (maybe I don't, suppressor you know? LOL)...I've got a bunch of new toys that have only been tested for function, never been shot....yet! I'm just not a fan of going to normal ranges. Have always wanted my own playground (on many levels). Your thread is VERY cool! How are things going with your land, setup, etc?
    It's been going good, but with two kids in elementary school I don't get out there as much as I want. My next project is getting water out there. My property sits between a county road and a state highway. The county rd side doesn't have access to community water. The state highway side does, so that's the route I'm going. $550 for them to install the meter and it's 1200 feet to my campsite where my travel trailer is at. I have a 12 inch bucket on my mini ex to trench the water line and I'll probably go with 1 or 1.5 inch pvc. Water is right up there with electricity, which the previous owner had already run.

My range will probably be the last project I tackle. I would love to have a covered 200 yard range with concrete benches with a separate berm for pistol and steel work.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    It's been going good, but with two kids in elementary school I don't get out there as much as I want. My next project is getting water out there. My property sits between a county road and a state highway. The county rd side doesn't have access to community water. The state highway side does, so that's the route I'm going. $550 for them to install the meter and it's 1200 feet to my campsite where my travel trailer is at. I have a 12 inch bucket on my mini ex to trench the water line and I'll probably go with 1 or 1.5 inch pvc. Water is right up there with electricity, which the previous owner had already run.

My range will probably be the last project I tackle. I would love to have a covered 200 yard range with concrete benches with a separate berm for pistol and steel work.

That's quite a project...the more and more that I look into raw land I must admit that finding land with utilities already on it does make it much more appealing. We've got no kids (plenty of nieces and nephews that will come out and play on the off-road stuff though!), I'm early 50's and my wife is a touch younger....so I keep noodling...even if we got raw land this weekend....how soon would it be before we could "enjoy" it? Things to consider...

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    Regarding tractors...this is what I'm leaning towards...again, this is all in my head until it isn't....LOL

The "Unicorn" Kioti CK2610 (A/C and heat in a tractor? Yes Please!!):

I have a Kioti CK 3510 with the front loader, forks and finish mower. I live in Kaufman county and have over 220 hours on it with 0 trouble. It will lift around 2k on the front loader before the wheels get light in back. [Rated for 1800+].
    Generally there are no restrictions on gunfire in most counties. All the common sense rules apply about projectiles leaving your property of course. Here in my county, if you have less than 10 acres and are subdivided into a neighborhood, you are not supposed to shoot on your own property. This is not enforced nowadays unless there is a complaint.
    I have that area of Texas [Cass County and a few surrounding counties] on my property watchlist. I particularly like the area around the Hughes Springs, Atlanta and Gilmer triangle.

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    7BB208BE-6856-4E83-A52D-AC774FB201D0.jpeg
    AFFC0222-5C05-4F25-B8CF-735BB9475D13.jpeg

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    I have a Kioti CK 3510 with the front loader, forks and finish mower. I live in Kaufman county and have over 220 hours on it with 0 trouble. It will lift around 2k on the front loader before the wheels get light in back. [Rated for 1800+].
    Generally there are no restrictions on gunfire in most counties. All the common sense rules apply about projectiles leaving your property of course. Here in my county, if you have less than 10 acres and are subdivided into a neighborhood, you are not supposed to shoot on your own property. This is not enforced nowadays unless there is a complaint.
    I have that area of Texas [Cass County and a few surrounding counties] on my property watchlist. I particularly like the area around the Hughes Springs, Atlanta and Gilmer triangle.
    VERY NICE!!!

Wife and I went and looked at some properties this weekend - we really like the raw land that we visited, the elevations changes, nice mix of trees, pasture, etc...we went and walked a little bit of it, oh my, it's a NICE chunk of walking! So, looking at getting all the ducks in a row and figuring out the "true cost" of it all. The journey is fun! The bonus is that the land that we really like best is just a few minutes away from my wife's Grandma, she loves that!

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    So much fun. Be sure an chronicle the land buy when you get one in your sights. I watch Trulia regularly because they have the best info on their listings. All of them need help in the map department though. The locators are rarely on target.

Good luck in the quest!

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Tractors. Ford NAA for mowing and it has a loader. Kubota L3940 loader and mower. Terex PT100G, forest mulcher. CAT 416D, for the big stuff.
    All but the Ford came from equipment auctions. You may what to check out the local auctions, Even if you don't buy, it will give you an idea what they are worth, and how well they hold up. One thing I noticed most the Mahindra at auction are non-running or mostly screwed up. Best to avoid these in my opinion. All mine run diesel but the NAA. I have found if you stick with ethanol free gas and put sta-ble marine in tractor, sawmill, woodchipper, generator, they can sit all the off season and no problems. Out of an abundance of caution I do run the carbs dry at the end of season*, but the tanks are full.

*Yes I believe we have two weather seasons in Texas. Hot, and not so hot.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I like my Kioti tractor.
    And the vermin like the vegetable oil based cooling hoses.

They make good equipment, but the "environment " may take some adjustments.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My brother-in-law has one, and loves it. He got a package deal, with a buttload of attachments for about 1/2 the price of a new Kubota without any attachments. I have had rats or something, chew through regular Gates fuel line and coolant hoses, So it just not your Kioti they relish.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    So much fun. Be sure an chronicle the land buy when you get one in your sights. I watch Trulia regularly because they have the best info on their listings. All of them need help in the map department though. The locators are rarely on target.

Good luck in the quest!

Thank you! Truth - I usually do a little "google fu detective work" to figure out the real property and boundaries.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Super tool for Cass County is their CAD program. https://propaccess.trueautomation.com/mapSearch/?cid=3
    Find the road, zoom in on the property. Make sure your " layers " are set for " imagery with labels " and you can find out the exact acreage, per the last survey, who the titled owner is, when it last changed hands, current taxes. There is also a tool to check the distances or lengths of the property lines.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Super tool for Cass County is their CAD program. https://propaccess.trueautomation.com/mapSearch/?cid=3
    Find the road, zoom in on the property. Make sure your " layers " are set for " imagery with labels " and you can find out the exact acreage, per the last survey, who the titled owner is, when it last changed hands, current taxes. There is also a tool to check the distances or lengths of the property lines.

I have definitely been there!! A very useful tool!

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    Cool, thanks for the link, I use KaufmanCAD a lot for looking around my area. Not thinking of staying here if the investment works out, but have to have a backup plan if I have to keep working in the city.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    good luck, land aint cheap
    Truth!! We actually tabled the idea for a bit...the cost of the land we found was pretty decent...still a big overall purchase...but then it's EVERYTHING else...started doing more and more noodling on it...we'd be slaves to the land...as much as I WANT the land...it's going to literally own ALL of our time too....so, tough decisions....

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    The housing crisis we had back in 08 is coming back fairly soon. Good idea to wait a bit longer. The market was officially designated a recession [not the economy, the housing market] a few days ago. Values have already started to come down in some areas away from cities.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    The land we targeted was asking $5K / acre. That seems like a really good price. We've looked at land west of here (near Decatur)....crazy stupid prices! Up to $40K / acre!!

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    S
    The land we targeted was asking $5K / acre. That seems like a really good price. We've looked at land west of here (near Decatur)....crazy stupid prices! Up to $40K / acre!!
    Land around Marietta to Douglasville is going in the 4K range for 20 to 50 acres, no water, no power. Under 20 acres is in the 5k range

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom