• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

saberune

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2016
    My second post here on TGT. Moved here from CA about 9 months ago and I'm curious if there are any private landowners that allow/grant TGT members time to shoot and plink on their land? Fine if there is a day use fee or something like that. Not looking to hunt or disturb wildlife, just set up some targets and plink away with rifle and pistol. I'll pack out whatever I bring in, not gonna leave a mess or trash behind. I'm about 20 min west of Ft Worth and willing to drive an hour in any direction to enjoy a day outside shooting.

Thanks in advance.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Unless you know someone personally or have a friend of the land owner vouch for you -- you are most likely SOL.

Either buy at least 10 acres outside an incorporated city/town, or find a shooting range that fits your style.

Be well.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    ^^^ What he said.

Shooting ranges are plentiful here and pretty affordable, and a lot more laid back than you're probably used to. I bet you'll enjoy a public range just fine.

Riverbanks are legal to shoot on btw.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You don't necessarily have to have 10 acres (depending on where you are) but it helps. You'll hear all kinds of bullshit about the "10 acre" rule but it depends on where you live and the local county/city city laws. I can shoot off my back porch legally and I only have a couple of acres.

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Riverbanks of navigable waterways are under TPWD jurisdiction. They're legal to hunt on and thus legal to shoot on. Just make sure your city or county doesn't have an ordinance prohibiting it. I shoot at the San Jacinto River and I45 in Montgomery County. Yes I know for a fact it's legal; I've talked to the GW out there about it.

In Bryan/College Station we shoot on the Brazos. The river is less accessible than it used to be but you can still access the river off 105 near Navasota and 159 near Hempstead. The biggest hurdle is finding river access without crossing private property. Then finding an area that's safe(r) and not crowded with residential areas.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Riverbanks of navigable waterways are under TPWD jurisdiction. They're legal to hunt on and thus legal to shoot on. Just make sure your city or county doesn't have an ordinance prohibiting it. I shoot at the San Jacinto River and I45 in Montgomery County. Yes I know for a fact it's legal; I've talked to the GW out there about it.

In Bryan/College Station we shoot on the Brazos. The river is less accessible than it used to be but you can still access the river off 105 near Navasota and 159 near Hempstead. The biggest hurdle is finding river access without crossing private property. Then finding an area that's safe(r) and not crowded with residential areas.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Best part of 159, no AT&T service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    ^^^ What he said.

Shooting ranges are plentiful here and pretty affordable, and a lot more laid back than you're probably used to. I bet you'll enjoy a public range just fine.

Riverbanks are legal to shoot on btw.

Maybe not depending on where he went to shoot. I rarely went to a public shooting range when I was stationed there. Just drive 20 mins to forest service land or a 45 min drive to the desert to a massive shooting area. Able to setup drills shoot how we wanted. Shoot from retention distance to 600 yards. Further if you wanted to walk for a while.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My second post here on TGT. Moved here from CA about 9 months ago and I'm curious if there are any private landowners that allow/grant TGT members time to shoot and plink on their land? Fine if there is a day use fee or something like that. Not looking to hunt or disturb wildlife, just set up some targets and plink away with rifle and pistol. I'll pack out whatever I bring in, not gonna leave a mess or trash behind. I'm about 20 min west of Ft Worth and willing to drive an hour in any direction to enjoy a day outside shooting.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish but as said unless you have some friends that have property you will not find anyone willing to just let you shoot. Liability is the main cause legally but mostly here in Texas, Texans love their land more than you.

There are tons of ranges out by you that have plenty of areas for you to shoot legally.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

Thanks in advance.
    one big differnence in TX and CA is the amount of public land

out of this big state less than 5 percent of it is public or federal land
    It's almost all privately owned.
    like has been said, you have to befriend someone with land and don't go shooting with a guy, who knows a guy, who knows anothere guy , who knows the landowner

If you go on a place to shoot and you don't have permission, you can get into alot of trouble if you get caught

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Thanks in advance.

There are several landowners in Dallas who do this. I live on Dallas side, so do not know of any west of Ft. Worth.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

If you read your own link, you would see it is highly unlikely it is legal to hunt on a riverbed in most situations:
    [h=2]Q: Is it lawful to hunt or target shoot in or on a public lake or stream?[/h]A: Hunting or shooting is prohibited on numerous rivers and lakes by local ordinance or by statute.[SUB]20[/SUB] Shooting and hunting on lakes and rivers presents practical challenges even where not prohibited by law. For example, it is a crime to discharge a firearm projectile across a property line, such as shooting from a state-owned streambed onto or over the adjacent private property.[SUB]21[/SUB] Additionally, if the animal or bird escapes to or falls on private property adjacent to the water, the hunter is faced with a dilemma: Retrieve the animal and risk committing the offense of trespass, or stay within the area open to the public and risk committing the offense of waste of game or failure to retrieve.[SUB]22[/SUB] It is not lawful to hunt on or over private land that is flooded by a public stream, if the submerged private land is properly posted.[SUB]23[/SUB]

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Um, no. It is often legal, just sometimes impractical. Big difference.

Um, you just agreed with me and contradicted your previous comment which made no mention of how many ways it is illegal ("In a nutshell, riverbeds are public land under TPWD authority. Hunting is legal.")

Never mind your post is completely off-topic, as OP specifically said he was not interested in hunting ("
    Not looking to hunt or disturb wildlife").

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

Very interesting... I really want an amphibious vehicle now.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Um, you just agreed with me and contradicted your previous comment which made no mention of how many ways it is illegal ("In a nutshell, riverbeds are public land under TPWD authority. Hunting is legal.")

Never mind your post is completely off-topic, as OP specifically said he was not interested in hunting ("
    Not looking to hunt or disturb wildlife").

Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit. I have always maintained that hunting is legal on riverbeds. You said "it is highly unlikely it is legal to hunt on a riverbed" and I said the opposite - that it is "often legal."

I never said it was illegal or how many ways it was illegal. I said it was often impractical. And again, they are different. Impractical is nowhere close to the same thing as illegal.

Are you still confused?

Hunting on a riverbed is often legal but also often impractical because of hunting regulations which must be followed.

And no, my post is not off-topic. You just can't grasp the concept that if it is legal to hunt, it is also legal to shoot. You don't have to actually kill anything or even disturb wildlife. If a GW shows up he's not going to ticket you for sucking at hunting.

Do you even hunt bro?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom