Join TexasGunTalk

Shooting on private land

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by saberune, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savage20

Savage20 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
  2. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    one big differnence in TX and CA is the amount of public land

out of this big state less than 5 percent of it is public or federal land
    It's almost all privately owned.
    like has been said, you have to befriend someone with land and don't go shooting with a guy, who knows a guy, who knows anothere guy , who knows the landowner

If you go on a place to shoot and you don't have permission, you can get into alot of trouble if you get caught

3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

So....it's kind of like robbing a bank huh?:green:

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
  5. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There are several landowners in Dallas who do this. I live on Dallas side, so do not know of any west of Ft. Worth.

6. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

If you read your own link, you would see it is highly unlikely it is legal to hunt on a riverbed in most situations:
    [h=2]Q: Is it lawful to hunt or target shoot in or on a public lake or stream?[/h]A: Hunting or shooting is prohibited on numerous rivers and lakes by local ordinance or by statute.[SUB]20[/SUB] Shooting and hunting on lakes and rivers presents practical challenges even where not prohibited by law. For example, it is a crime to discharge a firearm projectile across a property line, such as shooting from a state-owned streambed onto or over the adjacent private property.[SUB]21[/SUB] Additionally, if the animal or bird escapes to or falls on private property adjacent to the water, the hunter is faced with a dilemma: Retrieve the animal and risk committing the offense of trespass, or stay within the area open to the public and risk committing the offense of waste of game or failure to retrieve.[SUB]22[/SUB] It is not lawful to hunt on or over private land that is flooded by a public stream, if the submerged private land is properly posted.[SUB]23[/SUB]

7. Savage20

Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Um, no. It is often legal, just sometimes impractical. Big difference.

8. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Um, you just agreed with me and contradicted your previous comment which made no mention of how many ways it is illegal ("In a nutshell, riverbeds are public land under TPWD authority. Hunting is legal.")

Never mind your post is completely off-topic, as OP specifically said he was not interested in hunting ("
    Not looking to hunt or disturb wildlife").

9. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Very interesting... I really want an amphibious vehicle now.

10. Savage20

Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd

Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit. I have always maintained that hunting is legal on riverbeds. You said "it is highly unlikely it is legal to hunt on a riverbed" and I said the opposite - that it is "often legal."

I never said it was illegal or how many ways it was illegal. I said it was often impractical. And again, they are different. Impractical is nowhere close to the same thing as illegal.

Are you still confused?

Hunting on a riverbed is often legal but also often impractical because of hunting regulations which must be followed.

And no, my post is not off-topic. You just can't grasp the concept that if it is legal to hunt, it is also legal to shoot. You don't have to actually kill anything or even disturb wildlife. If a GW shows up he's not going to ticket you for sucking at hunting.

Do you even hunt bro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.